Mike Dean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well he won't be reffing the League 2 Play-off Final then I guess!! :pocheyes:
...and judging by that footage, he's a lot taller than I thought!
(anyway, isn't he supposed to be Spurs??) :pochsulk:
No, I remember where that rumour came from. It was a goal v Villa, someone fouled Eriksen I think, and we went on to score like 2 seconds after. So he played the advantage while we scored, and it looked like he was celebrating with us.

What makes him a bellend though? Not giving Spurs a pen? Wobbling his tongue between his lips? Or being pleased with himself for correctly allowing play to continue and a goal scored at the end of it?

Come on. We all make judgments such as this one. Hardly reason to pull people up on it. I think some people are bell ends - you will think they're not. And vice versa.

For the record, I think he's a bell-end for the arrogant way he carries himself through matches. Doesn't have to be Spurs games. He apparently has an interest in local theatrics and it shows. Add the incident with Poch this season - someone who never acts the way he did - and then it all wreaks of him being a bell-end sorry.

Come on. We all make judgments such as this one. Hardly reason to pull people up on it. I think some people are bell ends - you will think they're not. And vice versa.

For the record, I think he's a bell-end for the arrogant way he carries himself through matches. Doesn't have to be Spurs games. He apparently has an interest in local theatrics and it shows. Add the incident with Poch this season - someone who never acts the way he did - and then it all wreaks of him being a bell-end sorry.
I didn't pull you up on it mate, you made the comment off the back of my post.

Arrogance is a highly subjective assessment of someone we've never heard speak, it means you are making this judgement based on facial expressions and non-verbal communication, which is an actually really important part of a ref's job as he's letting not only the players know what the decision is but those watching too.

Again, Poch was 100% in wrong during the incident (I personally don't care how Poch reacted), if Poch had a case or a leg to stand on he would have appealed, he has this right and all dialogue is recorded.

If you think he's a bell-end I've no problem with that, it's just you have to admit to the fact you think he's a bell-end for his mannerisms because you don't have access to anything else other than this.

I didn't pull you up on it mate, you made the comment off the back of my post.

Arrogance is a highly subjective assessment of someone we've never heard speak, it means you are making this judgement based on facial expressions and non-verbal communication, which is an actually really important part of a ref's job as he's letting not only the players know what the decision is but those watching too.

Again, Poch was 100% in wrong during the incident (I personally don't care how Poch reacted), if Poch had a case or a leg to stand on he would have appealed, he has this right and all dialogue is recorded.

If you think he's a bell-end I've no problem with that, it's just you have to admit to the fact you think he's a bell-end for his mannerisms because you don't have access to anything else other than this.

Fair enough. From what I see and know about Mike Dean, using mannerisms and his face, I think he's a bell-end.

Might be a lovely guy if I got to know him though :)

Fair enough. From what I see and know about Mike Dean, using mannerisms and his face, I think he's a bell-end.

Might be a lovely guy if I got to know him though :)
I'm not having a pop either mate, it's a natural human instinct to make the judgement and fulled in an environment like football where others pile in including media etc just kinda legitimises the perception. But in the cold light of day, he's nothing more than a football fan and ref, who is animated (wrongly or rightly) when carrying out his job. It's all part of the pantomime (maybe even from him too).

I'm not having a pop either mate, it's a natural human instinct to make the judgement and fulled in an environment like football where others pile in including media etc just kinda legitimises the perception. But in the cold light of day, he's nothing more than a football fan and ref, who is animated (wrongly or rightly) when carrying out his job. It's all part of the pantomime (maybe even from him too).

I didn't think you were having a pop. Apologies if it came across like that.

I completely understand what you're saying but I do think things are slightly different with my new buddy Mike.

He always seems to draw attention. There's a reason I know more about him than some managers - cos he's a higher profile. Partly because he's been around a while but mostly because he puts himself in the centre of the drama.

I wasn't saying Poch was right to behave as he did but for him to behave so out of character means something happened and wouldn't you know it - there was good old Mikey right in front of the camera.

I actually have heard him talk though - Carragher and Neville did some feature about officials. What I took from that is not just the hard job these guys have but also how their characters would benefit from being held accountable by explaining their decisions in public.

Maybe then some tosser on the web won't think he's a bell-end for very little reason :)

I didn't think you were having a pop. Apologies if it came across like that.

I completely understand what you're saying but I do think things are slightly different with my new buddy Mike.

He always seems to draw attention. There's a reason I know more about him than some managers - cos he's a higher profile. Partly because he's been around a while but mostly because he puts himself in the centre of the drama.

I wasn't saying Poch was right to behave as he did but for him to behave so out of character means something happened and wouldn't you know it - there was good old Mikey right in front of the camera.

I actually have heard him talk though - Carragher and Neville did some feature about officials. What I took from that is not just the hard job these guys have but also how their characters would benefit from being held accountable by explaining their decisions in public.

Maybe then some tosser on the web won't think he's a bell-end for very little reason :)
Having refs account for their decisions will do absolutely nothing IMO, people will still disagree with the decision ergo, Dean gives a foul on an apparent trip on player 'X' and gives a free kick. The crowd and the commentators don't think it was a foul and boo and say on TV that "I think he's got that wrong, never looked like a trip". At the end of the game Dean is interviewed and asked about the free kick, he turns to the interviewer and say's "I thought it was a free kick because he was tripped". The world is still incensed with Dean because they still think it wasn't a trip.

Again, the drawing attention to himself has become a rolling narrative. Him celebrating his team last night is being called in many circles as him making it all about himself. He can't win. Are they saying that he wouldn't have celebrated if the cameras weren't there? And if so how the fuck would anyone know that? And as for Poch, if it was Mike Riley and not Dean no doubt the exact same thing would be said of him too. Refs are the pantomime villains where their judgement is argued over by supporters who a vested interest in the outcome, non giving a shit if the decision was correct or not.

Having refs account for their decisions will do absolutely nothing IMO, people will still disagree with the decision ergo, Dean gives a foul on an apparent trip on player 'X' and gives a free kick. The crowd and the commentators don't think it was a foul and boo and say on TV that "I think he's got that wrong, never looked like a trip". At the end of the game Dean is interviewed and asked about the free kick, he turns to the interviewer and say's "I thought it was a free kick because he was tripped". The world is still incensed with Dean because they still think it wasn't a trip.

Again, the drawing attention to himself has become a rolling narrative. Him celebrating his team last night is being called in many circles as him making it all about himself. He can't win. Are they saying that he wouldn't have celebrated if the cameras weren't there? And if so how the fuck would anyone know that? And as for Poch, if it was Mike Riley and not Dean no doubt the exact same thing would be said of him too. Refs are the pantomime villains where their judgement is argued over by supporters who a vested interest in the outcome, non giving a shit if the decision was correct or not.

Just for arguments sake, let's say there are some refs who like to make it about themselves and cause a bit of controversy. Also assume that some refs have their favourite teams, players or managers. Don't you think that them knowing that they have to 'front up' and explain themselves in public may make them hesitate when they get the urge to take the stage?

The vow of silence now doesn't help their case so being forced to explain their decisions is not gonna make it worse is it. They've nothing to lose and everything to gain if they're misunderstood.

And the Poch thing isn't about a decision. It stems from a decision but the reactions of Poch and Jesus was about something he said after the match. With Jesus repeatedly saying 'You can't say that?' and Poch asking him to repeat it to the camera. It wasn't a football decision. Was the decision of a man with an arrogance in his role, in my opinion.

Just for arguments sake, let's say there are some refs who like to make it about themselves and cause a bit of controversy. Also assume that some refs have their favourite teams, players or managers. Don't you think that them knowing that they have to 'front up' and explain themselves in public may make them hesitate when they get the urge to take the stage?

The vow of silence now doesn't help their case so being forced to explain their decisions is not gonna make it worse is it. They've nothing to lose and everything to gain if they're misunderstood.

And the Poch thing isn't about a decision. It stems from a decision but the reactions of Poch and Jesus was about something he said after the match. With Jesus repeatedly saying 'You can't say that?' and Poch asking him to repeat it to the camera. It wasn't a football decision. Was the decision of a man with an arrogance in his role, in my opinion.
With Poch, he probably misheard him or misinterpreted him??? It's recorded so it can be cleared up within seconds, it's why they are recorded (came into effect following the racist accusations during a Chav game).

It's up to players, media (and to degree fans) to accept the decision. Only in football is it not respected. If you respect the decision there is no reason to front up or explain the decision. And as I said, it will not make the decision wrong or right if they do explain it, it will still be contested and argued over.

With Poch, he probably misheard him or misinterpreted him??? It's recorded so it can be cleared up within seconds, it's why they are recorded (came into effect following the racist accusations during a Chav game).

It's up to players, media (and to degree fans) to accept the decision. Only in football is it not respected. If you respect the decision there is no reason to front up or explain the decision. And as I said, it will not make the decision wrong or right if they do explain it, it will still be contested and argued over.

Now we're on a different debate: the way footballers treat the ref is atrocious. There is nothing big or clever about it and it needs to be stamped out. It works both ways though - refs need to explain their decisions on the field, whether to captains or whatever.

Mic them up I say!!

Back
Top Bottom