Midfielders

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which midfielder would you sign (3 votes max)

• Morgan Schneiderlin

• Ignacio Camacho

• Gianelli Imbula

• Nigel De Jong

• Pedro Obiang

• James McCarthy

• Geoffrey Kongdogbia

• Ever Banega

• Alex Song

Results are only viewable after voting.
How is Song a has been at 27 years old? Had a reasonable season at spammers and was effective when fit.
Song is glorified Capoue with a little bit of skill and composure. In terms attitude and loyalty he puts Adebarndoor to shame

They are nearly all realistic targets if you are willing to spend the money, I mean we could easily put Lloris, Verts, Lamela in the too good for Tottenham bracket when we signed them but if you show the money it gives you a chance.

Normally we fail on targets when we either piss the club off or the player off trying to haggle a cheaper deal like the Moutinho situation.

I'm afraid Levy & Co haven't figured out yet that players' prices have drastically increased over the last decade. The likes of Schneiderlin, Camacho and McCarthy would cost 10-12m a decade ago. Today it would be a bargain if you get a player of that quality below 20m unless he has 0.5-1 year left on his contract. Also we aren't a top European club that regularly features in CL football so we have to go an extra mile to convince a top player to join our project.

Song is glorified Capoue with a little bit of skill and composure. In terms attitude and loyalty he puts Adebarndoor to shame.
Sorry but that's garbage. He has shown repeatedly that he can more than handle the premier league and regarding attitude he has since the age of 21 had two clubs although loans spells as well. Unless there has been something in the news to suggest anything regarding his attitude has led to loan spells I can't see why you would say that. Unless it's because he is an ex goon?

I'm afraid only Banega or Camacho would consider coming to us
And Banega is not a holding mid so not the player we are looking for.

I voted Schneiderlin & Kondogbia as they are the two I've seen that are good enough on that list.

Keep hearing lots about Camacho but I've not seen him at all.

Really surprised McCarthy gets such good press. I'm yet to be really impressed by him to be honest.

Sorry but that's garbage. He has shown repeatedly that he can more than handle the premier league and regarding attitude he has since the age of 21 had two clubs although loans spells as well. Unless there has been something in the news to suggest anything regarding his attitude has led to loan spells I can't see why you would say that. Unless it's because he is an ex goon?

You have been deceived, Mr Dixie

Song was doing Adebarndoor impression at Upton Park last season, he was trying hard to up his game to land a contract at a London based club. For the first 2 Months, he successfully won the hearts and minds of their supporters, coaching stuff and even teammates. By the beginning of January he got tired of it because he couldn't keep it up and eventually reverted to his normal self(at least Adebola was consistent, he performed the whole season in 2011/12).

Song had a huge reputation at Woolwich for being the laziest player who always puts half hearted performances. When Barca came calling Wenger couldn't even entertain the thought of keeping him, he had never been so eager to get rid of his high profile player so quickly before. Song is a mercenary of a highest order.

You have been deceived, Mr Dixie

Song was doing Adebarndoor impression at Upton Park last season, he was trying hard to up his game to land a contract at a London based club. For the first 2 Months, he successfully won the hearts and minds of their supporters, coaching stuff and even teammates. By the beginning of January he got tired of it because he couldn't keep it up and eventually reverted to his normal self(at least Adebola was consistent, he performed the whole season in 2011/12).

Song had a huge reputation at Woolwich for being the laziest player who always puts half hearted performances. When Barca came calling Wenger couldn't even entertain the thought of keeping him, he had never been so eager to get rid of his high profile player so quickly before. Song is a mercenary of a highest order.
Fair enough I wasn't aware of any of that to be honest. Fuck him then, gooner cunt!

From reading the forum, a midfielder, notionally to play alongside Bentalab, seems to be top of most people's wish list.
Personally I think the most important element of this new player needs to be their ability to protect the back 4 so our defence isn't as porous in 15/16.
The above list is a combination of names mentioned in the transfer thread and who are (to varying degrees) realistic (sorry no Pogba).
I'll no doubt have left someone off so apologies in advance.
I'd say we need someone to play alongside Bentaleb too. However if that players is to be more defensive minded what role is Bentaleb actually performing?

He doesn't get goals or create them. If he isn't going to do a better job of protecting the back four himself then is he actually flattering to deceive?

I'm a fan of his btw. Great prospect. Just wondering what midfield role he's actually best suited to perform.

I'd say we need someone to play alongside Bentaleb too. However if that players is to be more defensive minded what role is Bentaleb actually performing?

He doesn't get goals or create them. If he isn't going to do a better job of protecting the back four himself then is he actually flattering to deceive?

I'm a fan of his btw. Great prospect. Just wondering what midfield role he's actually best suited to perform.

That is a good point. For my money, of the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 that we seem to play, one needs to be pure defensive minded and the other needs to be more attack minded but from a defensive position. Whereas Bentalab doesn't get goals or assists he does link the play very well - as well as anyone has for us since Modric left (altho a different style & tbh an inferior player). There are 4 players ahead of them who should be scoring and assisting.
Am gonna get laughed at for saying this but I actually see Bentalab as not dissimilar to Xavi Alonso. So possibly we need a Mascherano type next to him?

is william carvalho still to get? young strong DM not the fastest as a yedlin but smart has a epic pass range and dribbles like a god. anyone intrested ?
Destined for champion league club, lad is quality, next big thing out of Europe, has it all, would be out of budget/reach but if we got him problems solved

That is a good point. For my money, of the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 that we seem to play, one needs to be pure defensive minded and the other needs to be more attack minded but from a defensive position. Whereas Bentalab doesn't get goals or assists he does link the play very well - as well as anyone has for us since Modric left (altho a different style & tbh an inferior player). There are 4 players ahead of them who should be scoring and assisting.
Am gonna get laughed at for saying this but I actually see Bentalab as not dissimilar to Xavi Alonso. So possibly we need a Mascherano type next to him?
Very true. The 4 ahead of the two should be most responsible for assists and goals so maybe Bentalebs role is primarily box to box and keeping us ticking over. And if that's the case he needs a more defensively focused partner.

Mason is a more forward thinking player having moved from a number 10 role he played for the 21s. That means we need to be using one of him or Bentaleb with a "holding" partner. Bentaleb being first choice of the two.

Very true. The 4 ahead of the two should be most responsible for assists and goals so maybe Bentalebs role is primarily box to box and keeping us ticking over. And if that's the case he needs a more defensively focused partner.

Mason is a more forward thinking player having moved from a number 10 role he played for the 21s. That means we need to be using one of him or Bentaleb with a "holding" partner. Bentaleb being first choice of the two.

I actually think Mason has the potential to be that Scott Parker type player (I seem to remember him being very attacking when he was at Charlton early in his career) but it will take a few season's to get there. Unfortunately we can't afford to wait while he develops, hence all these names in the poll that've been suggested/we've been linked with:

Back
Top Bottom