Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Points taken, but half watching the game, the standard is very low. If our lad was half as good as we think he is he should be head and shoulders above this lot, as it is he can't make the first XI.
It's his size and he's not as physical.
He's probably seen as a luxury player. Take a risk if you need something, but if alls well you won't see him.
Bit like Soteldo..
Edwards has better or comparable technique and passing ability as all the midfielders.

Edun has made so Many bad passes and has just put England under so much pressure getting a 2nd yellow for trying to make up for his unforced error.
He fucked up for the first yellow that gave them a free kick on the edge of the box which resulted in a corner and then the equaliser.

Youth level is usually 70% athleticism 30% technical/tactical. Highly tactical/technical youth players in less cerebral footballing nations like UK are always overlooked or seen as luxury players.

Points taken, but half watching the game, the standard is very low. If our lad was half as good as we think he is he should be head and shoulders above this lot, as it is he can't make the first XI.

Like I said, England coaches are shit judges of talent. Why are you worried what the staff of an unsuccessful national team think? This summer has gone well, but the vast majority of the time the England youth does fuck all, if they even qualify.

As Israel says, look at the England youth players and where they get - hint, it isn't far.

It could just be that we wildly overrate our academy. Of the three major international tournments this summer, U19, U20 and U21, we have managed just two starting XI players and one impact sub (who our fans have hyped to ridiculous levels) from the three England squads. In other country's squads there is only Pau López I think, who we're still haggling with Espanyol over the small change for.
Winks would have been in the U21 Squad.

Any breakout young player is likely to get first team action under poch and then see first team call ups with poch in charge ala dele/winks so the international setup in no great yardstick when it comes to us

I've posted this before, sorry I'll post it again as it appears so many people have an opinion on Edwards must play based on what? I doubt 90% have seen him play more than two 90min of football. Wasn't surprised he was on the bench at all, he's a gamble for a manager and when those stakes are at their highest i.e. a semi-final or final his place for such games is on the bench (I think his BTW, very exciting player, will get you out of your seat) the manager got it spot on.

This is absolutely spot on about him and where he is at right now IMO.

Back
Top Bottom