Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just intrigued that's all. He's now not been involved with the first team in any way, struggled to get in England youth starting elevens and left out of the youth cup semi final against Chelsea.

You'd think the best u18 football the country ever produced would be getting games.

He's just come back from a fairly long injury

Just intrigued that's all. He's now not been involved with the first team in any way, struggled to get in England youth starting elevens and left out of the youth cup semi final against Chelsea.

You'd think the best u18 football the country ever produced would be getting games.

He wasn't left out against Chelsea, he's not involved with the u18's anymore.

I disagreed with that decision personally, but it wasn't a case of being left out. He hasn't been apart of any FA youth cup games this season.

And he trains with the first team currently.

He wasn't left out against Chelsea, he's not involved with the u18's anymore.

I disagreed with that decision personally, but it wasn't a case of being left out. He hasn't been apart of any FA youth cup games this season.

And he trains with the first team currently.

This is where the club got it wrong, I agree. If he's eligible he should play. He should be playing all the minutes he can.

I think the hype needs to slow down and its probably why Pochettino refrains from putting him on the bench of any first team games to be honest.

The fact he couldn't even get off the bench in an important England qualifier was alarming. Especially considering he's hailed as the next Messi

Everyone getting carried away with this boy needs to hold their horses a bit, he's got a big battle on his hands if he is to start making it into the match day squad of the currently second best team in the league, long way to go and a long way ahead yet, but in my opinion, players of his style/position probably have the hardest time of making the break through at top clubs.

Extremely talented yes, but I'm still not counting any chickens of him breaking through consistently at spurs.

We'll genuinely know if he's good enough as he will feature if he is, poch is a great yardstick in that regard with his track record of giving the young players a chance

At that age, there's a huge step up in terms of physicality - wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a cotton wool approach given his diminutive stature.

Its not like he hasn't played at that level before. Best young talent in England yet can't get in the u19 England team whilst Rashford gets games for the national team.

Wasn't left out of the FA cup semi final, he doesn't play u18 football anymore. About every youth watcher agrees he should've played for England and all agree that the manager is incompetent. He's training with the first team everyday

Wasn't left out of the FA cup semi final, he doesn't play u18 football anymore. About every youth watcher agrees he should've played for England and all agree that the manager is incompetent. He's training with the first team everyday

He still plays for the u23s though and the FA youth cup is alot more important than that.

There's a lot to be said about playing week in, week out. This lad isn't getting that, in stark contrast to Dele Alli when at the same age. Football is to blame for so many youth players just dying off into the Brentfords of the land. You only have to look at the chavs or Juve as great examples of youth talent being drowned by money.

Anyway, if he had been playing first team football week in, week out since the age of sixteen, he would probably be at a better level by next season to complete. That's not to say he won't complete anyway. Still, you have to admire Alli in this respect. He'd played nigh on two seasons of first team football by the time he was 18, the age Edwards is now.

i have suddenly notice that hes height is 1.76 m (from the officel tottenhamhotspur site)
and last year was 1.68 m
nice grow if correct

There's a lot to be said about playing week in, week out. This lad isn't getting that, in stark contrast to Dele Alli when at the same age. Football is to blame for so many youth players just dying off into the Brentfords of the land. You only have to look at the chavs or Juve as great examples of youth talent being drowned by money.

Anyway, if he had been playing first team football week in, week out since the age of sixteen, he would probably be at a better level by next season to complete. That's not to say he won't complete anyway. Still, you have to admire Alli in this respect. He'd played nigh on two seasons of first team football by the time he was 18, the age Edwards is now.

Teams don't want to play under 18s until they have appropriate protection in place, with robust contracts and such. If a player is late in adolescence, this is also a factor.

i have suddenly notice that hes height is 1.76 m (from the officel tottenhamhotspur site)
and last year was 1.68 m
nice grow if correct

Not necessarily. If he grows too tall he'll lose the low centre of gravity that goes a long way to making a player like Messi what he is.

Not necessarily. If he grows too tall he'll lose the low centre of gravity that goes a long way to making a player like Messi what he is.

I mean I don't think we need to worry too much about Edwards growing into a giant. He's grown but he's still smaller than the likes of Winks.

Teams don't want to play under 18s until they have appropriate protection in place, with robust contracts and such. If a player is late in adolescence, this is also a factor.

Not at all. Youth is basically being hoovered up and spat out all over the planet. It has little to do with being under 18, adolescence or contracts as to why they aren't playing first team football.

Having said that...

Tottenham's English current first team professional contracts (first signed)

Carter-Vickers, signed age 17 - loans 0

Walker, signed age 19 - loans 3
Sheffield United, Queens Park Rangers and Aston Villa

Rose, signed age 17 - loans 4
Watford. Peterborough United. Bristol City, Sunderland

Dier, signed age 20 - loans 0

Winks, signed age 16 - loans 0

Onomah, signed age 16 - loans 0

Alli, signed age 19 - loans 1
MK Dons

Kane, signed age 16 - loans 4
Leyton Orient, Millwall, Norwich City, Leicester City

You have to love what we are doing at our club!

I see the next Messi couldn't even get off the bench in an important qualifier for the England youth side today.

Ouch.

Marcus Edwards makes his mark with international goal for England

....ahhh, now what?? I suppose it was just a fluke, eh?

Back
Top Bottom