Media darlings thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sure, sometimes I've wished Levy would sanction more spending for Pochettino. Sometimes, I've thought his penchant for leaving the conclusion of transfers to the 11th hour has cost the club points. The bigger picture, though, is that Spurs have overtaken Woolwich in north London and are currently the closest challengers to Liverpool and Manchester City.

So, going back to Szczesny's inanities, yes, we know the rest. The rest is that Spurs are a club to be admired. If the rest of the Premier League followed their example, it would be a better place.

What a great line to finish on. One of the few clubs who still has its soul because of how we stick to the kind of principles all clubs should adhere to.

When the bubble bursts we'll be one of the few clubs able to keep doing what we're doing, we just have to be patient as others throw preposterous money about

If we were ANY other club, doing things the way WE'RE doing, promoting youth, NOT spunking shitloads of cash on anything that moves, we'd be lauded and applauded, and backed by every single football fan who didn't support a team going for the title....

But we're not, we're still loathed, and treated as tight fisted bottlers, who steadfastly refuse to spend to 'guarantee' our success... and as such are always being treated as outsiders....

Why IS that?

Why are a team who are going about things the right way, and building (a state of the art ground) for the ffuture, STILL so widely mocked and ridiculed as being 'Spursey' when we've clearly moved on from that....
So why exactly does that shit stick?
:sonhmm::levyeyes:

If we were ANY other club, doing things the way WE'RE doing, promoting youth, NOT spunking shitloads of cash on anything that moves, we'd be lauded and applauded, and backed by every single football fan who didn't support a team going for the title....

But we're not, we're still loathed, and treated as tight fisted bottlers, who steadfastly refuse to spend to 'guarantee' our success... and as such are always being treated as outsiders....

Why IS that?

Why are a team who are going about things the right way, and building (a state of the art ground) for the ffuture, STILL so widely mocked and ridiculed as being 'Spursey' when we've clearly moved on from that....

Brief-History-of-Anti-Semitism-in-Canada3-590x242.jpg

Why IS that?

Because us doing it the right way puts all of those who don't to shame and removes the excuse that they can't reach such heights because of a lack of money or stature at their clubs.

Newcastle, Villa, Everton, West Ham etc etc they won't say how impressive our footballing and financial rise has been because of raw bitterness. We've had to build what we've built over a sustained period of time and it's come with aches and pains but we've kept moving forward to this present point. Other clubs & fans just want success and equate money spent with a greater chance of getting it.

Brains over money spent gives you your identity, keeps the clubs traditions intact. All of these Managers saying we didn't spend blah blah blah and giving it as excuses as to why they didn't achieve when talking to the media, their Directors etc can get shot down in flames when anyone points to how we are growing at a club, which leaves their finger pointing to keep their reputations going redundant.

The media want a story and a more interesting read is who you're being linked with, who you couldn't or didn't sign etc. That makes a quicker buck for their click bait than reading up on a clubs organic growth year on year or who is performing well in the youth setup, how the club is engaging with their community.

Sex sells and how we are doing it is safe and sustainable and not very sexy in the eyes of those that write the tabloids.

We should be praised for safeguarding the club whilst pushing it to grow, instead it's a pisstake because we didn't throw all of the season ticket holders money at dross. The club has a real backbone to it and doesn't get taken for a ride but as I said it's easier for others to throw money at manic signings or to push what we are doing under the carpet as it upsets the modern day narrative of spending = success

Because us doing it the right way puts all of those who don't to shame and removes the excuse that they can't reach such heights because of a lack of money or stature at their clubs.

Newcastle, Villa, Everton, West Ham etc etc they won't say how impressive our footballing and financial rise has been because of raw bitterness. We've had to build what we've built over a sustained period of time and it's come with aches and pains but we've kept moving forward to this present point. Other clubs & fans just want success and equate money spent with a greater chance of getting it.

Brains over money spent gives you your identity, keeps the clubs traditions intact. All of these Managers saying we didn't spend blah blah blah and giving it as excuses as to why they didn't achieve when talking to the media, their Directors etc can get shot down in flames when anyone points to how we are growing at a club, which leaves their finger pointing to keep their reputations going redundant.

The media want a story and a more interesting read is who you're being linked with, who you couldn't or didn't sign etc. That makes a quicker buck for their click bait than reading up on a clubs organic growth year on year or who is performing well in the youth setup, how the club is engaging with their community.

Sex sells and how we are doing it is safe and sustainable and not very sexy in the eyes of those that write the tabloids.

We should be praised for safeguarding the club whilst pushing it to grow, instead it's a pisstake because we didn't throw all of the season ticket holders money at dross. The club has a real backbone to it and doesn't get taken for a ride but as I said it's easier for others to throw money at manic signings or to push what we are doing under the carpet as it upsets the modern day narrative of spending = success
*Insert admiring hand clap gif here!*

Well said Sire... well said!

*Not sure if serious!

To be honest, i'm not sure either.

I've seen us pilloried for not getting European football. For not getting Champions League football. For not getting consistant CL football. For not winning trophies.

I've seen our players derided as mentally weak. I've seen countless dismissive "Lads, its Tottenham" references. I've seen our players described as unprofessional. I've seen our players, manager and staff constantly touted to other clubs by pundits, the press, and opposition fans (that one is to be expected). I've seen our players labelled divers. I've seen clubs, managers, and players of opposition teams express a preference for another team to win the league, when they have yet to play that team in the title race.

If we win a cup, it would be 'they haven't won a major trophy.' If we win a major trophy it will be 'but they have to back it up'.

We are not buying success. We are working towards it in a properly managed and fiscally responsibile manner. Yet, the oil clubs and their endless money or the nostalgic clubs of yore like 'pool and Utd are still given preferential treatment.

I'm struggling to find a reason for all of that, so i'm not sure if i'm serious in the other post or not.

I think Newcastle/Everton and Villa fans would commend us and wish us well. Am I wrong? Am I incredibly naive?

I think Newcastle/Everton and Villa fans would commend us and wish us well. Am I wrong? Am I incredibly naive?

You'd like to think the majority of world football would look at the strides we've taken as a football club over the past 15 years or so and give us props for doing so whilst staying in the black consistently each window but that's not how football works. Filled with slugs mate. Slugs, the lot of 'em

Back
Top Bottom