Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never really got stats on people in the media and in particular football pundits but other than Gary Lineker and one or two others who get a sparkle in their eye when refering to Spurs most seem to act with either distain or ignore Spurs unless it's about Spurs falling apart then they are all over it.

I suppose some of it is that people prefer to talk about disaster than triumph, so it's all about Chelsea collapsing rather than Spurs winning. Also when 'big teams' lose it's all about them failing not the other team playing well and in regard to Liverpool we all know the media love in on that one.

Watching ESPNFC yesterday, out of the 4 guys on the panel, 3 of them talked about how shit Chelsea was and how Tottenham were the better team, one of the bastards Steve Nicol said, (not verbatim) "to be fair to Chelsea, they should have scored 3 more goals from missed chances so it wasn't all that bad of a game for them." Then he started to name off like the Ramires shot that went wide, Cesc shot that I believe was a dribbler right to Lloris, etc. as if we should give Chelsea credit for those shots that didn't go in.

You could have a whole fucking show on shots that didn't go in. Every football match ever could be 34-27 if we half counted those missed shots. Guy is a fucking moron.

Last edited:
Every article about the game is now going with the Chelsea as the victims of refereeing mistakes as the subheading. And just like that the narrative is written in history.

We shouldn't get all paranoid about the media being anti spurs and bias towards certain clubs, its nonsense. When we reach the top, you will see how much the media adores us. We just need to get there first.

Every article about the game is now going with the Chelsea as the victims of refereeing mistakes as the subheading. And just like that the narrative is written in history.
This is documenting JM and the Chaves downfall? Remember, he started all the talk about conspiracies.

Watched ESPN Soccernet today and all they spoke about was how Chelsea are on a downer and pretty much nothing about Spurs.. Pissed me off so much. Barely mentioned Kane's brace and on top of that one of the guys on the panel hates us with a passion and won't admit that we're a half decent side. Annoys me so much, I don't mind us not getting crazy media attention. But I want something more than just a mention.
I watched the highlights today and we won 5-3 outplayed the Chaves and played the a blinder. Thats what matters.

i just wanted to add.... to us yesterday was the best result/performance ever (enjoy it) but for others its just one game in many and cant see what all the fuss is about. Gerrard warrants the respect from the media, if he calls his retirement, He has achieved more in his football life time than most. He deserves the respect and the attention.

i just wanted to add.... to us yesterday was the best result/performance ever (enjoy it) but for others its just one game in many and cant see what all the fuss is about. Gerrard warrants the respect from the media, if he calls his retirement, He has achieved more in his football life time than most. He deserves the respect and the attention.

ANDERSON has achieved more than Gerrard. ANDERSON!

The North Devon Journal was full of it... Centre spread , Kane mask & free Spurs tattoos to be won .

I think most fans of most clubs feel hard done by by the media, it's just the way it is

Last edited:
There is a media Bias for some clubs and often for reasons that extend far beyond Football. For example Sky Sports are excessive in their Pro Liverpool stance. News Corp have very real problems with Liverpool due to Hillsbrough coverage. Yet by providing a sports channel which is pro Liverpool they capture a market place that is closed to them in certain other avenues yet hardly anyone will notice the connection.
there really is an "agenda" behind most news reporting & it's not a new phenomenon However,The way reporting now works, with news feeds replacing real reporters, means there are more lazy & biased opinions circulated that stretch further than these views merit resulting in more influence for crap at the expense of balance.

And those reporters that are left actually doing the real time reporting are as influenced as anyone else by other factors. For example, I personally know of a reporter who covered London Teams who would write good stories about the scum as their match day experience for the press was "superb" and reporters wanted to keep Woolwich on side so they could repeat the experience ( might have been repeated oral from Ray Parlour I don't know, he never said :adegrin2:

To list the current stories in order on SSN app -

Gerrard: My Toughest Decision
Gerrard exit saddens Carragher
Thommo: Last of a dying breed
Rodgers pays tribute to Gerrard
Houllier: Gerrard could manage
Liverpool's greatest?
Best Gerrard moments
Transfer Centre
Palace still to confirm Pardew
West Brom to unveil Pulis
Supporter charged by police
New Saints deal for Yoshida
Green admits slice of luck
Regional Paper Talk
Mourinho to rotate for Watford
Jovetic relishing title race
Shaw retains title hopes
Terry: We'll go on a run
Jagielka: We need to step up
Dyche confident of survival
On the FantasyFC...
WIndow opens on Saturday
Football news in brief

Not a one of those stories actually about an actual match. I'd be more upset about a biased media if they had anything to say worth listening to. That's a global epidemic in sports, real news, everything, but English football punditry is a particular low point.

Back
Top Bottom