Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

April 2017 vs Woolwich.....33 home games ago

In the last two seasons we are the only PL team not to have a penalty at home, including all those who have been promoted or relegated

Palace - 10
Brighton - 9
City, Everton, Utd - 7
Woolwich, Leicester - 6
I know this lack of love for the club from the media is seen as a bit of a joke by us, and we like the underdog tag.

However is it possible given the general stupidity that seems to surround football (rival fans, managers such as Warnock, pundits like Sutton, refs such as yesterday) that the negative light and way we're talked about is manifesting itself in unfavourable decisions, circumstances, etc?

April 2017 vs Woolwich.....33 home games ago

In the last two seasons we are the only PL team not to have a penalty at home, including all those who have been promoted or relegated

Palace - 10
Brighton - 9
City, Everton, Utd - 7
Woolwich, Leicester - 6

Wow that is actually remarkable. I wonder if it's because of how we play, the lack of trickery like others have in the for, of Zaha etc or something deeper than that. Either way amazing stat thanks for sharing

Piss off. Who the fuck cares what Lineker, Caragher, Durham, Neville, Souness, etc. etc, think? We keep winning then so what the media think?

Like you (people on a forum), they don't affect the performance on the pitch. Shut the fuck up and support the team, forget the perceived shite/bias from outside!!
I think you're wrong here. The general media narrative and the perception of players and teams has a real-world affect.

If a team goes to Anfield, they're half beat before they step on the pitch because everyone keeps telling you how formidable they are.

As for referees we see the same; look at Bale for example. He would regularly get booked for diving when he'd clearly been clattered - the refs had the "Bale's a diver" rhetoric firmly in their minds. So they're calling Spurs divers recently... lo and behold, our guys are getting booked when tripped.

The game is played by, and officiated by, humans who are just as susceptible to media chatter as anyone's else; to dismiss that would be foolish.

I think you're wrong here. The general media narrative and the perception of players and teams has a real-world affect.

If a team goes to Anfield, they're half beat before they step on the pitch because everyone keeps telling you how formidable they are.

As for referees we see the same; look at Bale for example. He would regularly get booked for diving when he'd clearly been clattered - the refs had the "Bale's a diver" rhetoric firmly in their minds. So they're calling Spurs divers recently... lo and behold, our guys are getting booked when tripped.

The game is played by, and officiated by, humans who are just as susceptible to media chatter as anyone's else; to dismiss that would be foolish.

Also see: Leicester 'Fairytale'.

I know this lack of love for the club from the media is seen as a bit of a joke by us, and we like the underdog tag.

However is it possible given the general stupidity that seems to surround football (rival fans, managers such as Warnock, pundits like Sutton, refs such as yesterday) that the negative light and way we're talked about is manifesting itself in unfavourable decisions, circumstances, etc?

That’s exactly what is happening and the media knows it works, hence why they do it.

Also, I do believe corruption exists as well, especially after that game yesterday with Oliver and the offside decision with Origi with Liverpool where the linesman is looking directly at it and he isn’t even close to being onside.

That is proof right there that either bias or corruption exists as far as I am concerned.

There is a bloke over on that shithole spurscommunity, I forget his name but he is a mod but all he ever does is defend the media and tell everyone they are mad for believing that corruption exists in football or that bias exists.

Not sure if he himself is involved in the media in some way or if he is just an ignorant cock, probably the latter.

Here is my complaint to the BBC regarding their terrible MOTD 2 review of the Leicester match.
On Sunday 10th, Spurs had one of of the worst refereeing performances this season with again Tottenham getting players booked for simulation. BBC decided to agree with this even though in their replay it shows contact made. They then failed to look at Leicester's penalty which Madison clearly puts his leg out much further than where the ball was - by not analysing this they imply the referee was correct. Madison had been 'diving' all day which was shown in your brief highlights on 2 occasions before the penalty. None of what manager Pochettino said after this match was played, because the BBC are anti-Tottenham or their programme makers are. He said Oliver (the ref) had done this before vs Liverpool and he did not like how Spurs are being singled out for such punishment. The FA, PL, and Sky are against Tottenham but it shows so are the BBC in this type of disgraceful coverage. A few days before they failed to look at Kocieny's clear handball and then he pretended it hit him in the groin and started acting. I would suggest your programme makers support certain teams which are hostile to Spurs, and favourable to Woolwich. Whatever happened to the BBC's impartiality??

I think all Spurs fans who are bothered should also complain on BBC's website regarding their bias against Tottenham.

It's surreal. I watched MotD 2 last night, and their discussion over the Son penalty claim was just... odd... it's as if they were watching a different video to the one being shown.

Talking about Son throwing his right leg out to get caught by Maguire (which didn't appear to be the case to me) with absolutely no analysis over Leicester's penalty award - the latter being inexcusable when you have an entire programme focussed on only two matches.

Regardless of that, we all know that the "you either give the penalty or book the player for diving" rule is never followed properly so to drag out some stat that we have had 4 yellows in such a manner is rather meaningless. How many times have we seen a penalty appeal merely waved away by the referee with no card given? Oliver deciding to play the cunt against us was just par for the course yesterday.

Salah diving, getting a penalty, and therefore not getting a yellow card (while he actually deserved one) has happened a darn sight more frequently than our so called 'dives'.

Agree completely with this.

It's also why I was thrilled to finally see the narrative around Salah change to 'diver' as you just know those referees read the backpages and will have it in the back of their mind next time they officiate a Liverpool game.

Already we're seeing fewer Liverpool penalties than over Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom