Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't normally listen to talk sport but had no choice on the way home today. The commentator of the Liverpool game mentioned our result a couple of times. He said that he didn't think we would win so easily as Harry wasn't playing....his tone definitely insinuated that he had hoped that we wouldn't get through. Wally!!!
Was probably Sam Twatterface - he's a gooner.

Simon Stone

BBC Sport at Old Trafford

"So, it looks like Jose Mourinho is going be the first manager who might be asked about the potential for a Wembley semi-final against Tottenham.

Spurs' year-long stay at the national stadium while their new home is finished always had the potential to be controversial - and now Manchester United have a one-in-three chance of facing a last four encounter at Wembley against the team who play there all the time."

Fucking wankbuckets.

Only to be expected. We were speaking about this here at TFC last September iirc, so it was only ever going to be a matter of time before the media and opponents latched onto it. You know they love a good narrative, even if it's diametrically opposed to a prior narrative.
You make a very good point here regarding the idea of a narrative. I think a lot of what gets perceived as bias is more just the media needing some sort of story. Whether that story is Spurs struggle at Wembley or Spurs have an advantage at Wembley or another team does something else its just a way of getting people to read the media.

Surely the advantage of playing there directly cancels out the DISADVANTAGE of playing there...?
Therefore t's the perfect neutral venue!

TBH... apart from the fact it allows more fans to BE at the Semis, I've never really been a fan of holding the FACSF at Wembley.

Remember when they said 1991 would be a 'one off' due to the unique situation of TWO North London clubs not having to travel all the way up to somewhere like Villa Park/OT, when Wembley was right on our doorstep...

It's the 1993 semi that probably cemented the idea...

I don't normally listen to talk sport but had no choice on the way home today. The commentator of the Liverpool game mentioned our result a couple of times. He said that he didn't think we would win so easily as Harry wasn't playing....his tone definitely insinuated that he had hoped that we wouldn't get through. Wally!!!

Language Mrs P!
:dembelelol:

And to make things better: Wallaby!
wallibie1.jpg

FA Cup and Premier League: talking points from the weekend

5) Chelsea missed a trick with Eriksen
Watching Christian Eriksen running the show at Swansea on Saturday, it was tempting to recall the time that we sat down together at Ajax’s training ground, in 2012, and he told the story about how Chelsea had invited him for a couple of trials with the club, at the age of 14 and 15, but decided that he was not for them. At the time Chelsea’s thinking was influenced by the fact that they already had Josh McEachran, who was a year younger and played in a similar position. Chelsea, at the risk of stating the obvious, missed a trick. After thriving at Ajax, where first-team opportunities arrived much sooner than they would have done at Chelsea, Eriksen has blossomed into one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe. He scores splendid goals, creates them in equal measure and plays how he talked all those years ago: intelligently. Stuart James

Eriksen running the show, turns into how Chelsea missed a trick in not signing him??!?!

They would have just loaned him to death anyway like they have done with every other youngster they sign.

I'm completely disillusioned with the media reporting of football in general these days. Articles have little substance to them and are written purely with the aim of goading people into venting in the comments section.

It's not Spurs-related, but the most recent example I spotted was on the BBC website yesterday where the managerial genius that is Chris Sutton labelled Jose Mourinho as "outdated". Presumably this was on the basis they lost to Sevilla, and that he hasn't won a trophy for a few months.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I can appreciate what he has achieved over the years at various clubs. The desperation of the media to generate stories on a daily basis is matched only by the desperation of so-called expert pundits like Sutton to be controversial. The lack of objectivity by reporters, pundits (and fans in the comments sections) is sickening.

Apologies - not quite media bias, but seemed the most appropriate place to post this rant.

I'm completely disillusioned with the media reporting of football in general these days. Articles have little substance to them and are written purely with the aim of goading people into venting in the comments section.

It's not Spurs-related, but the most recent example I spotted was on the BBC website yesterday where the managerial genius that is Chris Sutton labelled Jose Mourinho as "outdated". Presumably this was on the basis they lost to Sevilla, and that he hasn't won a trophy for a few months.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I can appreciate what he has achieved over the years at various clubs. The desperation of the media to generate stories on a daily basis is matched only by the desperation of so-called expert pundits like Sutton to be controversial. The lack of objectivity by reporters, pundits (and fans in the comments sections) is sickening.

Apologies - not quite media bias, but seemed the most appropriate place to post this rant.

I think this is the biggest problem. We're living in the information era, where news is available 24/7 and 'journalists' and their papers, sites, blogs or whatever feel that they need to post something new all the time.

I'd much rather they used technology, and the fact that information is literally right at their fingertips, to create less frequent but regular quality, well-informed articles but unfortunately that isn't the way of the world. It's about shocks and clicks and fastest finger first.

It's a shame everyone is in such a rush to move from story to story instead of really digesting what is going on around them.

I agree with your general view on the media, but I think Sutton was right when he said Mourinho's style of management seems outdated - the players these days demand to be treated like superstars (rightly or wrongly) and the way he's dealing with his squad is completely at odds with this.

FA Cup and Premier League: talking points from the weekend

Eriksen running the show, turns into how Chelsea missed a trick in not signing him??!?!

They would have just loaned him to death anyway like they have done with every other youngster they sign.

Yeah Chelsea are one of the worst top-flight teams for youth development. (They are apparently good at racially abusing young players so much they end up hating football, though.) So many lost in a never-ending career of loans that at best will end up as a permanent move to a lower league side. Eriksen wasn't born shit hot. He never would have got a chance at Chelsea until another club developed him for them.

Wilshire has decided not to play alongside all the Tottenham English players and claim a fake knee issue, which will be ok by the Italy game they are saying or (in other words) the next game for Arse-nal. Southgate when asked was it bad news for England, he countered, it's bad news for Wilshere. I think he should never be picked again, despite the media love-affair with this average footballer.

Btw, if you type Jack Wilshit by mistake you get the same results on Goggle.

Back
Top Bottom