Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the full article from Henry Winter that Pootle Pootle quoted from. Maybe some people are getting it?

“This was a performance that showed Tottenham Hotspur truly belong at Europe’s top table, that they have a manager in Mauricio Pochettino with the tactical nous and sense of adventure to test the best, and that their squad is strong enough in terms of technical quality and mental resilience to withstand absences.

Spurs have enjoyed uplifting moments in the Champions League, from Peter Crouch scoring against AC Milan in the San Siro to “taxi for Maicon”, but this felt like an occasion when they truly arrived. The old Spurs might have folded when Real Madrid raised their tempo and sights. The new Spurs, Pochettino’s brand, are made of sterner mettle. No more Mr Spursy.

The 3,900 Spurs fans saluted Pochettino and his players loudly after the final whistle. There was so much for them to applaud from Harry Winks’s mature display against such celebrated hosts to Harry Kane’s frontrunning to Serge Aurier’s attacks down the right to Eric Dier’s leadership in central defence. Jan Vertonghen, playing at left wing back, gradually got to grips with Real’s exciting teenager, Achraf Hakimi. Christian Eriksen was slightly below par but this was not a night for nit-picking.

This was an occasion when Spurs fans were passionately acclaiming their goalkeeper, Hugo Lloris, who made seven saves, but this was no siege. This was an intelligent, gutsy, disciplined display by Spurs, who always looked to attack. They opened the scoring through Raphaël Varane’s own goal, were pegged back by Cristiano Ronaldo’s emphatic penalty but never looked like being swamped for all Real’s 61 per cent possession.

Spurs’ display will doubtless intensify speculation linking their players elsewhere but really this performance signalled they are here to stay, and why their players should stay. Pochettino is building something special, and the camaraderie is clear to see. Now is not the time to leave Spurs. The party’s just beginning.

All the arguments over the supposed sparseness of Spurs squad ended here. Missing the injured Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembélé, the unwell Ben Davies and the suspended Dele Alli, Spurs deservedly held the European champions. Moussa Sissoko, so oft maligned, particularly impressed, building a strong understanding with Aurier on the right. Davinson Sánchez looks a redoubtable addition in defence, showing speed and timing in the tackle.

Danny Rose came on, making a welcome return after the knee injury he suffered in January, and it would be enlightening to learn whether he still feels the squad is understrength. Érik Lamela, who needs registering for the Champions League, is close to a return from injury. And Pochettino is not afraid to look among Spurs’ home-grown, promoting from within. Their under-19s also drew 1-1 with Real in the Uefa Youth League yesterday afternoon.

Once accused of lacking steel, Spurs demonstrated their resolve all night.

Kane, Winks and company had known this was going to be a huge test of their qualities but they refused to be daunted. Kane arrived with his earphones in, his face a picture of concentration, knowing that there has been so much talk about his prolific form but that this stage was a level above. A hat-trick against Apoel was one thing, but this was the Bernabeu, facing Sergio Ramos and Varane.

No problem. Within seconds of the kick-off, Kane dispossessed Varane. No fear. Kane embodied the boldness in Pochettino’s philosophy. To dare is to do. He certainly reminded Real of his many strengths, as if the serial flirts of elite football needed further evidence.

Winks, only 21 but so nerveless, followed Kane’s lead, equally impressing in a compelling first half. Winks sat in deep midfield, transferring ball left and right, unfazed by the class in white close by in Toni Kroos, Luka Modric and Isco. Winks took on the European champions in their own backyard, playing his game, passing and passing, constantly positive. A measure of Winks’s influence was contained in his stats, completing all but three of his 47 passes. His accuracy even eclipsed Modric’s.

The one jarring note on an uplifting evening was another airing of the Spurs fans’ distasteful song about Sol Campbell. That aside, Spurs’ support was otherwise a fine example of how 3,900 can make themselves heard among 76,589.

“One of our own” they sang of Kane, waving a picture of their No 10, and displaying banners signalling “fat boys on tour” and a loyalty “from the Lane to the grave”. Even when the locals whistled derisively, the visiting contingent made themselves heard. Non-stop.

They loved Pochettino’s style, trusting in Winks, and setting Real an unexpected test with two centre forwards, Kane and Fernando Llorente, who has a good track record against Real. They had to withstand sustained early pressure, Ronaldo heading against a post and Karim Benzema wasting a loose ball, shooting wide.

As the songs of support tumbled down from the top two tiers, urging Spurs forward, Kane almost scored from an Eriksen corner, escaping from Varane, heading downwards and only Keylor Navas’s reflexes rescued Real.

Kane then cut in from the right, stroking the ball across towards Llorente. Navas pushed the ball away but Llorente regained possession, tried to turn and was clearly impeded by Casemiro, who hooked his foot away. Llorente went down, Kane’s arms went up, appealing for a penalty but the inexperienced Polish referee Szymon Marciniak waved play on.

Spurs’ enterprise was rewarded after 28 minutes. Aurier, attacking down the right, whipped in a cross and Varane was so distracted by Kane’s movement that he took his eyes off the flight of the ball, which hit him and spiralled past Navas. Spurs fans chanted the name of Kane but it was one of their own goals.

Spurs celebrated but also knew a storm was coming their way. Lloris denied Isco. Eriksen hooked clear. Toby Alderweireld blocked an Isco shot. Dier, playing in the heart of Spurs’ back five, headed out and then went hunting Modric, winning the ball.

But Real came at Spurs from every angle. Four minutes from the break, Benzema guided Kroos into the area, and the German was brought down by the stretching Aurier. Ronaldo, clinically, gave Lloris no chance.

As the clock ticked reluctantly past the hour mark, savouring every second of the spectacle, Casemiro broke down the inside-left channel and lifted the ball to the right towards Ronaldo. The brilliant Portuguese let fly and again Lloris had to be at his best to divert the danger. Again Ronaldo attacked, this time demonstrating phenomenal pace to take him clear but again Lloris saved.

Spurs responded, Kane and then Eriksen going close with shots, and then Sánchez heading just wide. Back came Real, Isco turning and shooting from 25 yards but Lloris fell to his right, clutching the ball and then commanding his box, pulling a Kroos corner out of the sky. Then the final whistle went, confirming that Spurs have arrived.”

Joe Clash Joe Clash Didn't wanna quote the whole article :)

I think eventually people will start to get it as we keep ignoring the lazy rhetoric and get results. Eventually we'll get the few trailblazers who come round to our way of thinking and, of course, all the lazy peddlers will jump on the bandwagon and claim they knew we were great all along.

I get more and more confident that we will win this battle. Eventually they will have no choice but to admit that we are Tottenham and the glory is ours! #coys

There have been articles talking about the Premiership teams competing better compared to the recent Spanish domination. This result and others is showing this to be true and linked with the uncertain political situation with Barcelona, less players are going to opt for the Spanish league.

Everyone making divisive comments is selling a subscription or trolling for more advertisement money.

Chill.

This is true, but i think there is much more to it than just those looking to gain subscription through controversy.

The established elite do not relinquish power easily.

Football = Business = Commercially Driven

Therefore it is only natural that those who look to loose out to us will attempt to influence and encourage negative and damaging media.

Whether it is tended clandestinely in true conspiracy theory fashion or whether it is an organic notion maintained from year upon year of expected consistency (I suspect a little of column A, a little of column B). Certainly some pundits / journos have a personal agenda as is natural in Sport.

Its why i take such issue with suporters who are looking to do the media's job for them by expressing so much negativity all the time. Why do their job for them? Encouraging that type of feeling and atmosphere does not benefit the club in any way.

This is true, but i think there is much more to it than just those looking to gain subscription through controversy.

The established elite do not relinquish power easily.

Football = Business = Commercially Driven

Therefore it is only natural that those who look to loose out to us will attempt to influence and encourage negative and damaging media.

Whether it is tended clandestinely in true conspiracy theory fashion or whether it is an organic notion maintained from year upon year of expected consistency (I suspect a little of column A, a little of column B). Certainly some pundits / journos have a personal agenda as is natural in Sport.

Its why i take such issue with suporters who are looking to do the media's job for them by expressing so much negativity all the time. Why do their job for them? Encouraging that type of feeling and atmosphere does not benefit the club in any way.

OK, but what is the BBCs excuse then?

TLDR of the day: Kane is leaving to Real. That hug with CR7 was more than that. He also looked at the stadium like we was thinking of playing here every day. He is leaving any day now.

TLDR of the day: Kane is leaving to Real. That hug with CR7 was more than that. He also looked at the stadium like we was thinking of playing here every day. He is leaving any day now.

Yeah he can't wait to go and play in front of 80,000 selfie and I phone addicts every week.

I have a lot more respect for anyone that follows athletico after seeing the real Madrid crowd last night.

Yeah he can't wait to go and play in front of 80,000 selfie and I phone addicts every week.

I have a lot more respect for anyone that follows athletico after seeing the real Madrid crowd last night.
Anytime the camera panned to the crowd you'd see a handful of people on their phones. What the fuck is that shit about? Sorry for 90 minutes you're being inconvenienced to watch an exciting football match.

Anytime the camera panned to the crowd you'd see a handful of people on their phones. What the fuck is that shit about? Sorry for 90 minutes you're being inconvenienced to watch an exciting football match.
They will watch the match under these conditions only:
1) They are playing Barca, OR
2) It is the CL Semis Home Leg.

That is all.

Its a crowd of tourists and corporate tickets. I find spanish football borderline shit. I cant stand the constant whistling of the crowds and this attitude of LaLiga players where they point and constantly talk to the ref about his decisions like he needs their approval.

Even when their player scored his penalty he had to check himself on the stadium screen.

Bunch of self absorbed tits

Back
Top Bottom