Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not true. City don't have "the most fans" but they receive coverage. Stadium was half fucking empty against Sunderland.

It's success + fan base.

It's pathetic.

There's the problem. Because BT televised it, Sky don't want to talk about it.

What a great news company...
Murdoch mate, you should know with Fox news over there disgrace!

Bias in the [football] media is no new thing. Of course, much of today's anti-Spurs feeling remains fuelled by the hatred of the club by one Andy Gray. The mysoginist tosspiece displayed this across his entire career, Spurs could quite literally do no right. The closest he could bring himself to compliment the club on a heavy win would be to hide his disgust behind a snide comment that the win should in fact have been heavier.

Sorry if that's already been said, had a few to drink. TL; DR, ostriches etc.

There has always been a media bias towards the big clubs. It's been exemplified by the big 3, 4 in the last 20 years. To be fair we have been appalling for about 15 of this years and that's where the gap has developed. A number of the pundits now played during that time so it's not surprising. I did see the start of a change during Redknapps tenure. What interests me though is the attitude of Hansen, nicol and some of the players from the 80s - as we were pretty decent during that time - but probably had that London, show pony, glamour image which when added to the political landscape (thatcher, north of England getting it tight) fuelled the resentment or dislike of us. The fact Liverpool and Everton cleaned up in the 80s probably meant they were vindicated in their opinion, and we were soft southern ponces. I've heard that sentiment echoed by ferguson and Keane.
Sorry for rambling on, I'm still a bit pished from last night

People take shit too serious, so what if we're not lauded in the media, they're all a bunch of knee-jerking cunts...

I'm more concerned by the awful levels of punditry on show and the treatment of useless stats as if they are some sort of holy grail of information, goals are almost an afterthought these days, especially when you can witter on about possession percentages, heat maps and how many matches it's been since we scored with a header from a set piece...

One of the reasons I sometimes miss the Redknapp reign, is that back then Spurs was loved by pretty much everyone. The football we played, and the transfer stories, made us entertaining, which lead to lots of media coverage - at least that was the situation in Norway. One of the reasons sacking AVB was great, is that he made us boring, and his time in charge lost us lots of support, probably lots of potential supporters and the media attention started fading away.

Bale kept us in the spotlight for a while though. When he was gone, so was the attention.

But maybe, just maybe, that's good for the youngsters in the club. Too much media attention on them, might lead them astray.

It mainly pisses me off how much Sky and BBC love Liverpool in spite of them having done fuck all for such a long time. More so than them disliking Spurs.

Also them ignoring bias when choosing pundits... when it comes to Alan Smith commentating on our games that's poor, Thompson commentating on Liverpool they seem to do for comedy factor (which is shit too) but the Liverpool love-in when they played us earlier in the season was simply sickening. They even joked about how biased the panel was! That's beyond ok.

Is it really that important to you to have Paul Merson give us some praise? I'm having more fun reading how far off he is when he tries to predict any of our results...

On the subject of 'stevie gee', I would not at all be surprised if he signs for New York City FC, and is loaned back to Man City.
Would just be the sort of thing he would do. You know, stay loyal to the scousers and have a chance to win a title.

How Man city have got away with the lampard loan is beyond me. it's dipping a toe in the water, seeing if the FFP rules can be broken with impunity...and the water was ok.
I mean, did Frank and his family actually go house hunting in the US? Nah, they did not even leave the shores of the UK.....they all knew he wasn't even going....fucking joke.
It's just as bad as Vitesse Arnhem owned by a lacky of Roman and I suppose the investigation into Merab Jordania's account that CFC told VA not to qualify for the CL -not forgetting Overmars' accusation that he was not allowed to speak to Van Ginkel because of CFC's 'cooperation agreement' with VA - will be whitewashed with Russian blood money.

Didn't ENIC sell it's shares in AEK, Rangers, Slavia Prague, Basel & Vincenza because of AEK Athens ejection of the UEFA cup?
I digress...
I would much rather us be out of the spotlight enabling us to get on with it.
However, you'd have thought that the fact that in his 715 games as a manager this is only the second time one of JM's teams have conceded 5, and the only other team to do it was Barca, it would have been more newsworthy.
Coincidentally, there was also a conspiracy in favour of Barca during his spell at Real.
However, they have won the CL, Euro Super Cup, FIFA world club Cup and Copa del Rey without him.

Last edited:
Just listening to Sunday Supplement, and they barely mentioned us once. And even then they were actually just praising Mourinho for his strategic handling of the press and affecting the referees and so on.

The point I'm trying to make is that merson , smith , keown?, Dixon are rarely going to be the biggest fans of Spurs and give un biased views on a club they were hated by.Thomson only interested in the scousers and Neville only manure. To my knowledge I can't remember any of them really acknowledging great Spurs displays or perhaps only begrudgingly
I disagree on Neville. He has been highly critical of Man Utd on many occasions. I feel he is one of few that's been able to make a very smooth transition from player to pundit, showing no allegiance to any one club.

Really like the bloke. His analysis is second to none.

Yes because of the last 30 years, they've been the best clubs. So chances are, any decent english players are going to have played for them.

Even Robbie Savage once played for united, but you wouldn't associate him with united would you?
Most definitely not!

I can't even hear what the bloke says now, that haircut is fucking atrocious!!

Just listening to Sunday Supplement, and they barely mentioned us once. And even then they were actually just praising Mourinho for his strategic handling of the press and affecting the referees and so on.
I'll delete my recording then. Cheers Sky. :adethumbup:

I watched - I have to say that if there is a clear media bias against anyone in football, then it's Mike Ashley.

Every single week they slag him off on that programme, and it seems to me the only real reason is that he refuses to speak to any of them.

Speaking of bias, soon as the club look to be heading in the right direction, up comes a story out of nowhere about how our star goalkeeper is going to leave. Media trickery?

sherlock-holmes.jpg

Speaking of bias, soon as the club look to be heading in the right direction, up comes a story out of nowhere about how our star goalkeeper is going to leave. Media trickery?

sherlock-holmes.jpg

Most pathetic thing i've seen from that is Bleacher Report who have decided to drag up a 3 month old tweet from some shit sports website i'd never heard of saying how he's "wasted at Tottenham" and should be at a club aiming for trophies. What? As opposed to being in 3 cups and a shout of top 4 with Spurs?

Bias in the [football] media is no new thing. Of course, much of today's anti-Spurs feeling remains fuelled by the hatred of the club by one Andy Gray. The mysoginist tosspiece displayed this across his entire career, Spurs could quite literally do no right. The closest he could bring himself to compliment the club on a heavy win would be to hide his disgust behind a snide comment that the win should in fact have been heavier.

Sorry if that's already been said, had a few to drink. TL; DR, ostriches etc.
I had no idea the history of hatred between Spurs and Andy Gray. What's his beef?

Back
Top Bottom