Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He didn't mention City, even though he made reference to Pep, which I thought was odd.

It always feels like Liverpool and Man Utd are heavily pushed in the media as good clubs, despite being shit for years now.

They're big clubs. Huge fan bases and well known across the globe. They're pushed because they draw. Like everything in sports.

He didn't mention City, even though he made reference to Pep, which I thought was odd.

It always feels like Liverpool and Man Utd are heavily pushed in the media as good clubs, despite being shit for years now.
The list you give also happen to be the four British clubs with the biggest fan bases, so it's not surprisingly they would push them. Man U has the biggest fan base out of any club in the world, irrespective of their league position. Are you surprised the media outlets, players and so on still focus on the club despite their league place? Where there is that level of interest there is ratings for the media and money for players.

On topic, I read about Neymar expressing an interest in moving to the PL at some stage.

He said:

"I like the playing style and the teams. And who knows, someday, I would like to play at it, yes.

"I admire Manchester United, Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool - these are the teams that are always there fighting.

Now, there could be many reasons why he said that or thinks that, but it's been a few seasons (potentially 4?) now since United finished higher than us, and Liverpool have finished above us what, once, in this decade?
And in addition to that, we've been keeping ourselves (generally) above Liverpool in spite of the global revenue, spending, etc.
We're improving, and doing it right.
They're big clubs. Huge fan bases and well known across the globe. They're pushed because they draw. Like everything in sports.
This is true, and slightly depressing. I know I'm biased from being Spurs, but even if I was a neutral, I still think I'd hate the scousers. There are also few things more hollow than when you look at some plastic Real Madrid fan's social media account.

I know people gravitate towards these teams; but seriously, what's the fucking point? Entitled twats everywhere.

And in addition to that, we've been keeping ourselves (generally) above Liverpool in spite of the global revenue, spending, etc.
We're improving, and doing it right.

This is true, and slightly depressing. I know I'm biased from being Spurs, but even if I was a neutral, I still think I'd hate the scousers. There are also few things more hollow than when you look at some plastic Real Madrid fan's social media account.

I know people gravitate towards these teams; but seriously, what's the fucking point? Entitled twats everywhere.
The point is reflected glory allowing tiny people to feel like they're part of something special. Same reason for idiots to vote for Trump or believe the horseshit about Brexit leading Britain back to its days of imperial grandeur.

The point is reflected glory allowing tiny people to feel like they're part of something special. Same reason for idiots to vote for Trump or believe the horseshit about Brexit leading Britain back to its days of imperial grandeur.
52% of the country are idiots? Go away. Anyway, you're Canadian, what's your beef? Imperial grandeur? WTF.

If they didn't draw so often they'd be higher up the league table :freund:

C5Rm5ojWYAEkWRC.jpg

Just think how idiotic the remainers who didn't vote feel now?
This is a constant in this argument over fucking brexit. 28% of those able to vote couldn't be arsed enough about the outcome to go and put a cross in a box. So their views are irrelevant. The majority voted in favour of leaving.

I often muse about whether the leavers would still be whining now, demanding another referendum or complaining about the 28% who just couldn't be arsed. I think that we'd have all just gone back to normal & thought "democracy has spoken- we're in a minority"- because it would be the correct thing to do. Cameron went to the EU & came back with a "deal" that was frankly shit. People saw that & the majority voted accordingly.

If anyone is stupid, it's the proportion of that 28% who were Remainers & didn't vote- as you rightly point out.

I often muse about whether the leavers would still be whining now, demanding another referendum or complaining about the 28% who just couldn't be arsed. I think that we'd have all just gone back to normal & thought "democracy has spoken- we're in a minority"- because it would be the correct thing to do.

Exactly. This is the first time for many that a vote has gone against them, and they're not equipped to deal with it. I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and got on with it - as most would have. I'm used to political disappointment.

Exactly. This is the first time for many that a vote has gone against them, and they're not equipped to deal with it. I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and got on with it - as most would have. I'm used to political disappointment.
It's a ridiculous argument. How many of those 28% would have voted leave anyway? Maybe all 28% would have voted leave... The fact that they didn't vote one way or the other means that they are an irrelevance to the discussion.

I can understand remainers being disappointed with the result. But it's nonsense to say that only 52% of 72% must therefore be stupid... because the 28% who didn't vote would have swayed it another way. Now that's fuckin stupid.

:bentley:

The list you give also happen to be the four British clubs with the biggest fan bases, so it's not surprisingly they would push them. .
I don't think Woolwich or Chelsea have a bigger fanbase than Spurs. Not in the UK anyway. I've moved around the southern half of England a lot with my work, and everywhere bar none there's been more Spurs fans. I'm in South Wales now and there's yids everywhere. And all this despite being in their shadows for the last 3 decades. We fucking fill wembley on our own for the Europa league while Chelsea have to advertise tickets on national radio just to fill their shit hole for the fucking champions league. If your talking about global fan base, a lot ain't real fans. If the Russian cunt pulled the plug and they slipped back to their natural station most of their global fans would switch allegiance to whoever took their place. Same goes for Woolwich. They ain't bigger clubs than Spurs. Not really. It's a myth. Our Wembley attendances have shown we have the potential to be as big as anyone

I don't think Woolwich or Chelsea have a bigger fanbase than Spurs. Not in the UK anyway.
In the UK, perhaps not, but I never said UK and we weren't talking about exposure limited to the UK, we were talking about exposure beyond the UK, not least because we were talking about a player abroad. Chelsea and Woolwich globally have bigger fanbases. The studies, etc are all out there and can be found with a quick Google. Just because we can fill a stadium more easily in the UK, it doesn't mean that translates to the size of our international brand. Hell, why do you think Levy has worked so hard to promote us in China and the US? It's to try and compete and become a brand (which is slowly happening, at least in the US anyway). The size of a club these days is not determined by how many people in the UK will buy a ticket. Surely you must know that?

Darren Gough on Talk Shite the other night. Obviously putting the world to rights over #Wexit Vs #Wemain

Bangs on about how all the top other clubs in the Prem have moved on with their playing style, with their training methods, with the type of players they are signing and how the new school of managers put value on physicality and stamina and not just technical ability. Lists - Klopp, Guardiola, Koeman, Conte...

Obviously completely neglects to mention us or Poch, sat second in the league and probably the best reference point as to how far Woolwich are off the pace.

I can only imagine that he must have done it deliberately, sat there in the ad break with the fat headed ginger twat, chuckling about how "that'll wind the Yidos up".

Well it fucking worked!

I don't think Woolwich or Chelsea have a bigger fanbase than Spurs. Not in the UK anyway. I've moved around the southern half of England a lot with my work, and everywhere bar none there's been more Spurs fans. I'm in South Wales now and there's yids everywhere. And all this despite being in their shadows for the last 3 decades. We fucking fill wembley on our own for the Europa league while Chelsea have to advertise tickets on national radio just to fill their shit hole for the fucking champions league. If your talking about global fan base, a lot ain't real fans. If the Russian cunt pulled the plug and they slipped back to their natural station most of their global fans would switch allegiance to whoever took their place. Same goes for Woolwich. They ain't bigger clubs than Spurs. Not really. It's a myth. Our Wembley attendances have shown we have the potential to be as big as anyone
Why does having the most fans matter so much to you? No offence mate but you always seem preoccupied with "big club", "most fans", "filling Wembley". Surely the only thing that matters is how good we are, how we play football. Absolutely not having a pop just don't get the fixation on size as if its matters in some way.

I look at Manure, Woolwich, Dippers and Chavs and the thought of having a fanbase on their scale makes me cringe and fearful of what is in store for us as we continue to compete at the top level. All it does is attract utter cunts to our fanbase. There is something pure about having supporters sticking with Tottenham through barren times. We filled Wembley because thousands of the embarrassing end of our support decided to turn up to a "big game" having not bothered to turn up and support the team in scores of previous games, they don't even know the words to our songs! I don't think we have sold out WHL for a Europa League game in 5 yrs now, where were these fantastic supporters then? (Sat in my seat expecting to see a pulsating European night under the lights against Benfica only to be surrounded by Benfica fans!!).

Spurs are definitely lagging behind globally. Official club pages on Twitter is hardly a perfect yardstick but it's a bit of an indication. We have 1.9m followers, as opposed to Woolwich's 9.5m and Chelsea's 8.2m.

Unsure within the UK. I'm from North London originally, lived in the north of England for 10 years and am now back in London but south of the river. The most striking thing is the Chelsea shirts. Before I left London I think I had only ever seen them on the telly. Now they are a real part of life.

Also, south London is a massive haven for Woolwich fans it seems. I have watched the NLD in a number of different pubs and I'm always well in the minority.

With both other big London clubs having successful periods more recently, do they have a groundswell of younger fans as well as a higher percentage of flip-floppers and gloryhunters in their fanbases? It'd be interesting to know if the average age of Tottenham's fanbase that bit older nowadays?

That's obviously something we can set right with our forthcoming period of sustained success :)

Back
Top Bottom