Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Exactly.

You need to be in the CL to generate the money to be able to compete for trophies unless you have a sugar daddy investor (which is slowly but surely being clamped down on by UEFA and FIFA).

That's just the nature of the beast these days.
And to be in the CL trophies are being sacrificed...or at least until the point when our squad is good enough to compete in everything...

And to be in the CL trophies are being sacrificed...or at least until the point when our squad is good enough to compete in everything...

It is now IMO.

Not like we haven't made semi's and finals under Poch too so "sacrificed" is a bit of a misnomer.

The money in the CL skews everything...

Completely. And in the PL. - Top six now get a larger share of income generated from foreign territories.

Compared to £100,000 prize money for winning the League Cup or £2m for the FA cup.

And there is a disconnect because - rightly or wrongly - the fans expect the people running the "business" to be as sentimental as they are about trophies and treat these competitions with the same level of priority.

There is a reason that the LC is the easiest comp to win.

Completely. And in the PL. - Top six now get a larger share of income generated from foreign territories.

Compared to £100,000 prize money for winning the League Cup or £2m for the FA cup.

And there is a disconnect because - rightly or wrongly - the fans expect the people running the "business" to be as sentimental as they are about trophies and treat these competitions with the same level of priority.

There is a reason that the LC is the easiest comp to win.
The League Cup is now won by the team with the strongest set of reserves...

Ok now we won a game the debate has elevated from “he’s lost it” back into the cosy “Top 4 vs FA Cup” zone for a few weeks, that’s always one of my favourite debate periods of the season

This place, always bringing new and exciting takes on the wonderful world of Tottenham Hospur!!

Yeah Im not knocking top 4, just the notion that we can only possibly be in it for the money and cant compete to win it.

We just knocked out the most expensive team in history, after signing no one

Gotcha... Thought we were talking about cups; both domestic and CL.

Last edited:
That yearly stream has amounted to around £55million each year on average. How does that allow us to compete with the sugar daddies exactly?

Think that is the prize money from UEFA only, to which needs to be added gate money from CL matches , food and drink sales at CL matches as well as some element of sponsorship income (you may recall at one time DL had 2 shirt sponsors, one for PL and other for Europe - that doesn't happen now but be assured sponsors pay extra for Spurs being in CL).

So you may well be looking at doubling (or even trebling) the money you mention - and some players will only move to a club in CL which helps us get players.

And that money might buy Spurs say 2 players a year of the calibre of Ndombele or more less experienced players. That is how we may be able to maintain a squad of players able to compete with other clubs run by sugar daddies.

That’s all I could think about when we beat Chelsea in 08. I couldn’t understand why everyone was celebrating when the likes of Luton and Norwich had won this before. These so called fanz don’t get it do they?
Is that why we were so shit in the CL final, because Djimi Traore and Harry Kewell had won it and our players didn't want compared to them?

More like we can’t make that final step , it’s not all down to under investment , some of the blame needs to go to poch , as he makes some strange “tactical calls” and we just seem like we can’t make the final step up and win a final, but it was the same for klopp, always the bridesmaid never the bride and look at them now champions of Europe, poch is still learning his craft and I’m confident the trophies will start to come soon, and as soon as they do unless it’s the PL or CL the narrative will change to “poch is yet to win any trophy worth winning”

That’s all I could think about when we beat Chelsea in 08. I couldn’t understand why everyone was celebrating when the likes of Luton and Norwich had won this before. These so called fanz don’t get it do they?

But all I could think about was the fact that we’d beaten the Nazis

Doesn’t matter what competition but I do get your point

Is that why we were so shit in the CL final, because Djimi Traore and Harry Kewell had won it and our players didn't want compared to them?

That and that the likes of Porto, Steau Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Hamburg, Villa and Forest, PSV and Marseille has won it before. How can you take that competition seriously when teams like that had won it before?

Back
Top Bottom