Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I also never asked for his head, always tought we should be pacient and wait for the results to come. But they never come, and we always stuck in this circle of get some results playing shit football than lose some and again win playing shit football. We are playing unentretaining, boring and innefective football for at least 2 years and our run in the Champions was pretty much due to the players effort than Pochettino. I really can't see any Pochettino improvement since he arrived and we probably had in the past few years one of our best squad of all time. He has no one but himself to blame for failure.

Need to get Ndombele and Lo Celso in his starting line-ups ASAP.

Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele & Eriksen need to start if fit vs Woolwich. I don't care where Eriksen might end up he's still paid to be a Spurs player and that game could be a massive shot in the arm for us.

It's a strange situation as our attacking quartet desperately need sufficient width offered at full back and we just don't seem to have it in supply for us to stretch saturated centres.

The only thing that looked threatening today was when Lucas played Sissoko into space and he fizzed one towards Harry who fluffed it at the last. Where were the long shots, why did very few choose not to take responsibility? It's as if nobody wanted to be the fall guy so nobody became the hero. That was a shit show today from the manager all the way to the substitutes. I rank that as one of my least favourite games to observe of modern time. Too robotic, nobody saw the gaps or tried to make gaps, nobody seemed to want to run off the ball, possibly because it was too hot but overall whatever the reason it was a flat, turgid and donkeywork like performance that just seemed to lack heart or a desire to win.

Lucas said we need to stop throwing away silly points before the game today. It's time our boys started working on ways to break down deep lying teams with dummy runs, a footballing language that they all know and understand and to stop waiting for Eriksen to arrive because we all know he ain't going to be around much longer.

Why wait until the 60th minute to make changes? It fucks me off when it's all pre-packed and an extra 15 minutes with our most creative player would have made the world of difference. Sharpen up from top to bottom Spurs, the seasons started and so far it's been really hard work to get anything over the line.

It's rare you see a player and managerial performance of such pure, unblemished shit, but that stunk the place out. I honestly can't find a single positive. Thank fuck I didn't go.

Was a big fan but never thought he was beyond criticism, no manager is, but always felt the positives outweighed the negatives.
I'm at the stage that i'm not so sure now, getting fed up with the constant whinging to the press, the double entendres that get the fanbase turning on each other and when the likes of Steve fucking Bruce can mug you off, then questions need to be asked.
I'm not for sacking him or forcing him out but if he decided that he'd had enough and walked, well i wouldn't be that bothered to be honest and i wouldn't have said that a year ago.
This isn't a kneejerk reaction to the shit show that was today, but a gradual build up of muddled team selections and tactics and the fact that he hasn't seemed to be able to get a decent tune out of these players for quite some time.
Pretty much it for me...
Haven’t lost a first teamer we didn’t want to lose since Walker. Added to the squad too.

The simple fact is that most players have regressed, others never a look in, and others will be bedded in for 8 months.
Horrific injury situation which just goes on and on and on, a different formation and line up every single week, players inexplicably dropped or subbed, admitting the players were confused by the tactics, persisting with stuff that doesn’t work, and walking the ball sideways.

Losing finals and semi finals is not a mark of achievement.

I’d be happy with a change if he hasn’t improved by Christmas

It's rare you see a player and managerial performance of such pure, unblemished shit, but that stunk the place out. I honestly can't find a single positive. Thank fuck I didn't go.

Agree on both counts, it was shit show and I'm glad you didn't go either.

Those of us that did tried to hard to support the team in testing circumstances but maybe 10% of the crowd were moaning throughout like the team were playing shit deliberately just to ruin their day. Like someone said the other day - self-entitled man-childs.

Agree on both counts, it was shit show and I'm glad you didn't go either.

Those of us that did tried to hard to support the team in testing circumstances but maybe 10% of the crowd were moaning throughout like the team were playing shit deliberately just to ruin their day. Like someone said the other day - self-entitled man-childs.
Wrong assumption. When I'm at a game I always get behind the team and will them on. When I'm watching on the telly I'll moan away like any other however as I can't affect jack-shit.
Always gonna get fans at games who whinge for 90 mins - I was next to a guy who was irate for the entire friendly against Inter!

Last edited:
We have average fullbacks, Eriksen wants to leave, Jan causing trouble. I'm not gonna attack Poch for not playing them two, but he needs to be criticised for this performance. We didn't play great for a long time. Couple months now.

Put Ndombele and Lo Celso against woolwich. This team needs new blood.

Davies for Rose with a few mins left??? WTF. Not being a higly-paid manager and just a dumb footy fan for 35+ years, can anyone enlighten me as to the tactical genius of that one? I'd fucking love to ask Poch to his face. Truly bizarre

Either he was worried about Rose getting another card or running down the clock so Newcastle didn't double their lead. :pochsulk:

Something something transfer window unsettled squad...

Mauricio Pochettino, speaking to BBC Sport: "I am very disappointed with the result and the performance. We conceded a cheap goal and it is not easy to come back after that.

Errmm excuse me, we managed to do that our last two matches and when we were 2-0 down away from home to Ajax....this was 1-0 down at home to the bottom of the league. Please don't give me that crap

He didn’t say it was impossible, just that it wasn’t easy. Most of the time the team that scores first goes on to win. When you score first it puts control of the match in your hands and you can just wait for the opponent to come out and kill the game.

If you think it was easy for us to come back against Villa and City then you must have been watching different games, we were labouring big time against Villa and won thanks to a lucky bounce through to Kane. We were swamped by City and somehow snatched something, saved only by VAR at the end. We are not good enough to keep giving daft goals away thinking we can just score 2 or 3 goals a game. We are not that type of team right now, we haven’t been for a long time.

First priority for Poch has to be finding a team that can consistently keep clean sheets. Then we can go from there.

Davies for Rose with a few mins left??? WTF. Not being a higly-paid manager and just a dumb footy fan for 35+ years, can anyone enlighten me as to the tactical genius of that one? I'd fucking love to ask Poch to his face. Truly bizarre

We already put on our attacking subs and the remaining options were Gazzaniga, Davies, Vertonghen, Dier and Skipp. The closest thing to an attacking player we had from that lot was Davies, Rose didn’t have one decent cross or pass all game so why not sub him off? Poch left him out of our summer tour so that he could find a new club then tried to send him away to Watford on the last day of the window, if Davies and Sessegnon were fully fit he wouldn’t even be involved. He’s another one that could still leave before the window closes, he’s playing out of necessity.

Just putting this out there. I keep reading about a lot of disharmony behind the scenes. I do get a sense that something isn't right. Jan on the bench for example seems very odd. I find it hard to believe it's a fitness issue just down to the fact that Jan is a model pro who i strongly believe wouldn't turn up to presesaon in any worse shape than the rest of the squad.

Getting to my point, i wonder if the squad or even just some of the squad would begin to have doubts when they see a player like Jan getting dropped? To an even bigger point i wonder if the squad like us may be divided on the Harry Kane playing the final before Moura issue. I wonder if this could be a basis of some of these squad harmony issues we seem to be having.

I'm not saying i know any of this to be the truth but surely big decisions like these can be divisive between player and fan alike?

I don't know if it was in this thread or in the match thread but as someone else said, Poch has never been the greatest tactician. He has primarily gotten us this far through having the right players for the system he knows and by creating an environment where the players are willing to run through brick walls for him. It's his way or the highway and players who deviate are thrown to the wayside.

This paid off when he got here because he quickly got the youngsters (Kane, Rose, Walker, Eriksen, Mason etc) on side so he could push guys like Adebayor, Lennon and Kapoue out the door and replace them with hungry youngsters that were literally willing to bleed for him. Now said kids have grown up and evolved as players and the style Poch wants no longer suits the player staff, both because of player growth and replacements. And the players who at first did exactly as they were told are most likely now also questioning him more and more. Our plucky little youngster striker is now one of the best in the world and captain for his country. Multiple members of our squad captains their nations as well. The locker room has more than one powerful voice now and Poch has never handled big egos/characters before.

We've all known that it was going to come to a head at some point, and it might be this season.

He didn’t say it was impossible, just that it wasn’t easy. Most of the time the team that scores first goes on to win. When you score first it puts control of the match in your hands and you can just wait for the opponent to come out and kill the game.

If you think it was easy for us to come back against Villa and City then you must have been watching different games, we were labouring big time against Villa and won thanks to a lucky bounce through to Kane. We were swamped by City and somehow snatched something, saved only by VAR at the end. We are not good enough to keep giving daft goals away thinking we can just score 2 or 3 goals a game. We are not that type of team right now, we haven’t been for a long time.

First priority for Poch has to be finding a team that can consistently keep clean sheets. Then we can go from there.

We already put on our attacking subs and the remaining options were Gazzaniga, Davies, Vertonghen, Dier and Skipp. The closest thing to an attacking player we had from that lot was Davies, Rose didn’t have one decent cross or pass all game so why not sub him off? Poch tried to send him away to Watford on the last day of the window, if Davies and Sessegnon were fully fit he wouldn’t even be involved.

I appreciate that fact but if it is possible to do it away from home against decent sides (Ajax/City...regardless of luck) then surely the task is relatively 'easier' when you are at home and the team you are playing is one of the worst in the league. Why do you put words into my mouth ? I never said I thought it was easy for us to come back against Villa or City but the team did it and they did so with a spirit and commitment to the task that was visibly lacking today. That kind of attitude tends to bring it's own luck because you are constantly applying pressure and creating chances. First shot on target for us today...33rd minute...says it all.
If Poch's first priority is keeping a clean sheet then a very close second has to be where the goals are going to come from. I don't mind Spurs conceding just one goal every game and never having a clean sheet all season, as long as we can go up the other end and put two past the opposition.

Last edited:
When looking at our form from the end of last season, it makes for pretty dire reading, I myself didn't even realise how bad it was.

Out of our last 15 games PL games, we have 8 losses, 3 draws and 4 wins.

If we take that sort of form into this season we will be bottom half of the table and it looks like we are so far.

It's not looking good and the manner of those defeats make it even worse, like today for example.

Something needs to drastically improve or something needs to change, it's that simple imo.

Back
Top Bottom