Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didnt say they dont want to improve next season though. I said I dont think they care that Liverpool came second.
My point is they care about losing more games than Liverpool even though they won the title.

I changed my mind when the season finished and I had been proven wrong.

I predicted what? I didnt make a prediction. I said the players had regressed.....I also admitted being wrong about it.
Ok apologises, I thought you were saying you made a prediction about them being top 4 and winning the CL,

I dont say they had no foundation. I said they were wrong.
And they were because Poch didnt leave and we finished top 4
So what is it you want them to do? state that they were wrong
LOL....so nothing about Liverpool losing less games being better
Losing 1 game is better than losing 3 games that's undeniable. No one can say they've had a better season than City when they haven't won anything yet.

My point is they care about losing more games than Liverpool even though they won the title.
Yeah and compared our season to Wolves

Ok apologises, I thought you were saying you made a prediction about them being top 4 and winning the CL,
Last summer I did say this squad was capable of that......almost there now arent we.
Whos laughing now?

So what is it you want them to do? state that they were wrong
Of course I do.....because anyone who said last summer was ok, along with the chairman, were called cunts.
No one wants to eat humble pie though.....they are all still right and Levy has betrayed the club apparently.

Losing 1 game is better than losing 3 games that's undeniable

Not if you win more games and gather more points it isnt. You are taking the losses column in isolation to everything else that happened. Pointless stat if you come second.

sammyspurs sammyspurs

There is no way you can say people weren't right to be concerned at the start of this season, and that those concerns haven't been proven right. Making a CL final is great but our league performance is always the barometer of where we are really at, it's the competition we/Pochettino prioritises above all others, and it's the sternest test of consistency and quality of a team. And in the PL we have massively deteriorated in terms of consistent level of performance.

Even when we were winning games in the first third of the season, our performances were not good, and this is not just about the eye test, which told us we were not great, but we were out scoring very reliable performance metrics in terms of simple ones like the shots we were getting and allowing and more qualitative ones like xg and xga.

I remember posting on here earlier in the season that we would struggle to outperform these metrics throughout a whole season, inevitably I got the usual "stats bollocks" but that is exactly what happened in the latter half of the season, we literally started getting results that matched the metrics, which were telling us we weren't that great even when we were getting results.

Personally, I don't believe this is still all the fault of just not signing bodies in the summer. I think it started before last summer. This performance drop off started last season, not this, it's been a gradual decline. And I don't think it's all about Levy either.

Our signings- overseen by Poch - in the last two/three years have been pretty mediocre, and haven't always addressed or been intuitive to maintaining his own style of play - And Poch has also neglected to make best use of a bunch of very decent academy players who could have provided squad relief for fatigued or stressed positions. So we end up with three RB's but not a single experienced midfielder of top quality or reliable fitness.

It really isn't Levy's fault that we ended up with a squad over bloated with players that we couldn't shift or include in Cl squads or that didn't turn out to be of the highest quality.

Yeah and compared our season to Wolves
I said that we lost the same amount of games as them. Which is true.
Last summer I did say this squad was capable of that......almost there now arent we.
Whos laughing now?
But did you predict that they would do that though?
Of course I do.....because anyone who said last summer was ok, along with the chairman, were called cunts.
No one wants to eat humble pie though.....they are all still right and Levy has betrayed the club apparently.
You're right no one wants to eat humble pie and I really don't think they should in this instance.
Especially when the manager is coming out on the eve of the CL final talking about he can't continue without a clear plan.

Not if you win more games and gather more points it isnt. You are taking the losses column in isolation to everything else that happened. Pointless stat if you come second.
It's not a pointless stat, what Liverpool can take from that is that they are the toughest team to beat, they will now be looking to see how they can get more wins.

sammyspurs sammyspurs

There is no way you can say people weren't right to be concerned at the start of this season, and that those concerns haven't been proven right. Making a CL final is great but our league performance is always the barometer of where we are really at, it's the competition we/Pochettino prioritises above all others, and it's the sternest test of consistency and quality of a team. And in the PL we have massively deteriorated in terms of consistent level of performance.

Even when we were winning games in the first third of the season, our performances were not good, and this is not just about the eye test, which told us we were not great, but we were out scoring very reliable performance metrics in terms of simple ones like the shots we were getting and allowing and more qualitative ones like xg and xga.

I remember posting on here earlier in the season that we would struggle to outperform these metrics throughout a whole season, inevitably I got the usual "stats bollocks" but that is exactly what happened in the latter half of the season, we literally started getting results that matched the metrics, which were telling us we weren't that great even when we were getting results.

Personally, I don't believe this is still all the fault of just not signing bodies in the summer. I think it started before last summer. This performance drop off started last season, not this, it's been a gradual decline. And I don't think it's all about Levy either.

Our signings- overseen by Poch - in the last two/three years have been pretty mediocre, and haven't always addressed or been intuitive to maintaining his own style of play - And Poch has also neglected to make best use of a bunch of very decent academy players who could have provided squad relief for fatigued or stressed positions. So we end up with three RB's but not a single experienced midfielder of top quality or reliable fitness.

It really isn't Levy's fault that we ended up with a squad over bloated with players that we couldn't shift or include in Cl squads or that didn't turn out to be of the highest quality.
But if you're saying that he must get credit for CL qualification and a CL final, surely he must take some blame for the squad as well, otherwise you're being hypocritical.

I said that we lost the same amount of games as them. Which is true.
Who cares when we won 7 more games though…...thats the context you left out

But did you predict that they would do that though?
I said they were capable and backed the window…...others laughed. Whos laughing now

You're right no one wants to eat humble pie and I really don't think they should in this instance.
Especially when the manager is coming out on the eve of the CL final talking about he can't continue without a clear plan.
Thats not the same issues as last summer. The plan last summer was top 4, and get bin the ground.
That chapter has closed. Now we need a new plan. Pochs Words, without deliberate misinterpretation.
Last summer people were not concerned about a lack of a plan. They were concerned about falling out of the top 4 and Poch leaving because we hadnt spent Money.

It's not a pointless stat, what Liverpool can take from that is that they are the toughest team to beat, they will now be looking to see how they can get more wins

Its as pointless as you have made our win stat out to be I guess. All Spurs have to do is look into losing less
ce la vie

Last edited:
sammyspurs sammyspurs

He believes Eric Bailly is better than VdV and Trippier is a Top 4 RB - what more can one say really...

Hes finished 3rd twice and 4th in the last three seasons. I suppose Wan Bissaka and Sessengon are more top 4 in your head
Mere passenger and a costly mistake .

According to this logic Fabian Delph is better than everyone in the Liverpool squad 'cause he finished above them. LMFAO

Who cares when we won 7 more games though…...thats the context you left out
You don't care that we lost 13 games?
I said they were capable and backed the window…...others laughed. Whos laughing now
But no actual prediction, you were non committal.
I think any genuine supporter is overjoyed at CL qualification and a CL final, that goes beyond being wrong on an internet forum.
Thats not the same issues as last summer. The plan last summer was top 4, That chapter has closed. Now we need a new plan. Pochs Words, without deliberate misinterpretation.
Last summer people were not concerned about a lack of a plan. They were concerned about falling out of the top 4 and Poch leaving because we hadnt spent Money.
They are the same issues, namely he wants better players to achieve top trophies, he wants things done in a different way.

"If you want to expect the same from Liverpool, from Manchester City or Manchester United and Chelsea, and you put the same expectation on Tottenham, give me different tools to work.

"If not, I see the people working in the same way, in the future I'm going to be this guy. I am the most stupid person to work."

That looks very clear to me, if we continue as we have done previously, he's done.

Its as pointless as you have made our win stat out to be I guess. All Spurs have to do is look into losing less
ce la vie
Losing less and winning more, not as easy as you make it sound.

But if you're saying that he must get credit for CL qualification and a CL final, surely he must take some blame for the squad as well, otherwise you're being hypocritical.

I think it's right he gets credit and blame for things within his control or remit. If there was a player Poch wanted, he was doable but Levy refused to sanction it because he disagreed with Poch's footballing assessment of the player, then he deserves criticism. If Poch wants us to buy players, but Levy says we can't afford them then that's him just doing his job as CFO of the club and shouldn't be criticised.

As long as we are getting more points than our rivals i couldnt care.... i'd be delighted to win the league with 40 points... especially if the one side we beat was woolwich as that would mean they were relegated.

The way people carried on about AVB and his best ever points total was tragic.... a bit scouse.

Last edited:
I think it's right he gets credit and blame for things within his control or remit. If there was a player Poch wanted, he was doable but Levy refused to sanction it because he disagreed with Poch's footballing assessment of the player, then he deserves criticism. If Poch wants us to buy players, but Levy says we can't afford them then that's him just doing his job as CFO of the club and shouldn't be criticised.
But you said It really isn't Levy's fault that we ended up with a squad over bloated with players that we couldn't shift or include in Cl squads or that didn't turn out to be of the highest quality. He sanctioned these buys, He decides the wages and the transfer fee. Poch was his choice as manager, he chose not to get a DOF. But yet you're saying he shouldn't get any blame at all but should get credit for the league and CL season even though he's never kicked a ball.

Back
Top Bottom