Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh for Heavens sake. Why is this even an argument?

The fact is we didn't sign anyone for 2 transfer windows. You may be ok with that. That's fine.
But if Pochettino didn't want any of the players available within the transfer budget he had to work with then either that transfer budget wasn't big enough to satisfy his requirements or he was just being an awkward cock to make Levy out as a cunt.

Whatever it was, and I doubt it was the latter, he's just made it patently clear he wants a new approach and better tools to work with. His lips were moving as the words came out of his mouth

I don't get why we all need to fall out over this. We all want the same thing at the end of the day.

Or he knows the value of money and didn't want to waste what he had.

Imagine if, as some are saying, those transfer pots that went unused rolled over. Even if only some, say 50%, rolls over that gives us a lovely pot to play with.

The fact is we're not going to know unless/until money gets spent. Levy and Poch aren't going to want figures out in the public domain. Only idiots let the other side know how much they have to haggle with.

When you say we are in the CL final because of Poch and the players, I think you are over simplifying a much more complex situation. When it comes to success(s) and achievements it always seems to be “the manager” or the “players” who get all the credit, but any/every failure is Levy’s? We are in a CL final because we have qualified for the CL three years running now and in a knock-out competition you always have that chance. We've qualified because Levy made a bold move in hiring Pochettino, gave him the environment to succeed - including giving him first of all the longest first time contract he'd given any manager, giving him full control over his training and team environment, then control over player acquisitions and lately made him one of the world's highest paid coaches. He also provided him with some of the best training facilities in the world and made sure he's only had to sell one player (a RB - and even then with Poch's full consent - according to Poch himself).

If your interpretation of the statements Poch is making are correct, they don’t sound very much like compromise either, they sound like ultimatums? I personally don't think he's necessarily saying that, I actually think it's about pride with him, and trying to make it clear to the media (fans) that if we are not going to compete in the transfer market then he doesn't want to be seen to failing if we don't get top4 or compete for the title or win trophies.

And this really isn't the first time he's said stuff like this, he's said stuff like this many times. I think it was emphasised again because he's really struggled this season, performances have been mediocre and results really erratic, lots of wins but lots of defeats for a top 4 team too and it's a version of "I can only work with what Ive got" (and for the record, I blame Poch at least equally for him having "what he's got" because he's been head of transfers that's not alway made great decisions).

I don't know what the future holds regards to our financial model, CL and the new stadium should mean increased profit margins, and Lvey/ENIC have always re-invested profits - it's just that up until last season we averaged over the nine previous years (2008-2017) 16m profit per year (and our net spend averaged 12.5m per year).

And under Levy/ENIC we have always been, and I suspect will continue to be a club that operates on a normal sustainable business MO, dictated by it's financial parameters which have hopefully increased. Either that or they will now sell up and a new owner with a new model will come in, but the way football is governed now, unless that owner is prepared to flout FFP radically, I don't see much changing - you just have to see the way Chelsea are now run, or Woolwich even.
The manager is ultimately the one who pays the price if the results are bad, it's only fair that he gets the lion share of the credit too. And the players are the ones who have to go out and get the results and sometimes there are individuals who are made the scapegoats and get finished after only one season. Levy has no real consequences to face apart from some criticism from fans and media. He gets some credit because it's a team effort, there are other people at the club who get little if any credit, like Poch's coaching staff, the physio.

A bold move? Not really, he sacked Sherwood after only one season, he was pretty limited in his choices for a new manager. He then recruited Mitchell who left 2 years later, he was told by Poch that he didn't want a replacement so he had to listen because if he had recruited someone over his head he would have walked.
The man that he appointed to work with the model that he set out, stopped believing in it after a few season or perhaps never really never did

Has you say Poch has said things like this many times, since I think 2016, I think he recognises that we can't spend the kind of money like the other clubs do, but it's clear to me he doesn't like the way Levy conducts business, Levy likes, loves playing chicken with other chairman even if it's to the detriment to our own. No players at all last summer he definitely wanted to recuit , he has a say in recruitment but I think Levy is the real head of recruitment. To me it's sad that one of the best managers in our history feels compelled to say these kind of things publicly season after season.

As for Enic, if the right buyer comes in they will sell in a heart beat especially if we manage to win the champions league, I think another buyer could come in and do better with the same model all they would have to do is add better scouting and recruitment, our scouting isn't good enough.

As for Enic, if the right buyer comes in they will sell in a heart beat especially if we manage to win the champions league, I think another buyer could come in and do better with the same model all they would have to do is add better scouting and recruitment, our scouting isn't good enough.
Considering how much land they have purchased around the stadium and the general Tottenham area I don't think they will sell in the near future. Why sell the one asset that could get in the way of any of their other redevelopment projects?

Considering how much land they have purchased around the stadium and the general Tottenham area I don't think they will sell in the near future. Why sell the one asset that could get in the way of any of their other redevelopment projects?
Levy said himself that we are always up for sale.

Failure to back Poch and let his future dominate an already rabid media praying for our downfall is unforgivable. The man himself is not entirely blameless for encouraging it but but not denying it and being clear on his f uture just adds fire and turns people and those on this forum onto each other.

Personally we should be tying up deals for new players in the next few weeks where possible to strike early but say we miss out on CL, Poch has a career hangover and needs time to think and maybe doesn’t like what he hears from Levy as up where we are going as a club what then?

Miss out on players and set the club back again with further upheaval. I’d like to think he owes us another year with backing. ENIC really need to step up too and back him properly or this talk may seriously impact our CL preparations and I will be annoyed if allowed to do so.

Don’t fuck up what should be an amazing 3 weeks build up where we beat this bindipping, victim complex, self entitled scum (just read Milner’s deserved comments today).

The manager is ultimately the one who pays the price if the results are bad, it's only fair that he gets the lion share of the credit too. And the players are the ones who have to go out and get the results and sometimes there are individuals who are made the scapegoats and get finished after only one season. Levy has no real consequences to face apart from some criticism from fans and media. He gets some credit because it's a team effort, there are other people at the club who get little if any credit, like Poch's coaching staff, the physio.

A bold move? Not really, he sacked Sherwood after only one season, he was pretty limited in his choices for a new manager. He then recruited Mitchell who left 2 years later, he was told by Poch that he didn't want a replacement so he had to listen because if he had recruited someone over his head he would have walked.
The man that he appointed to work with the model that he set out, stopped believing in it after a few season or perhaps never really never did

Has you say Poch has said things like this many times, since I think 2016, I think he recognises that we can't spend the kind of money like the other clubs do, but it's clear to me he doesn't like the way Levy conducts business, Levy likes, loves playing chicken with other chairman even if it's to the detriment to our own. No players at all last summer he definitely wanted to recuit , he has a say in recruitment but I think Levy is the real head of recruitment. To me it's sad that one of the best managers in our history feels compelled to say these kind of things publicly season after season.

It is fair that he (Pochettino) gets the lion share of the credit, and he has. I just think it’s not the whole truth and Levy deserves some credit too.

We don’t know exactly why Mitchell left, rumours are it was more down to a conflict of purpose with Pochettino, who wanted more control over transfers?

I think this whole “Levy likes to play chicken” thing is a bit of a misnomer that the media love to peddle. If you’re running a business on small profit margins, normally you negotiate prices and try to extract value where you can. Transfers are part of (a big part) that business model, so it’s vital you don’t over pay and under sell, or you are going to be reducing your profits and/or increasing your business losses.

All bar a couple of oligarch owners are having to work like this, this notion that Levy is unique in this is a fallacy. He might be better at it than some, or negotiate harder than some? But he’s definitely not unique. And it’s not like Poch took the job thinking we were ManU or Chelsea is it?

You are right, a buyer could come in and do a better job, and I haven’t agreed with everything Levy’s done (I agree our scouting has been poor lately and I really wish we had retained a DOF and not made Poch the de facto head of recruitment), but the general evidence of the footballing world suggests they are unlikely to make a better job of it thanLevy has overall.

How many clubs, sustainably run, have improved as much as we have in every aspect? Football, financial, infrastructure?

Failure to back Poch and let his future dominate an already rabid media praying for our downfall is unforgivable. The man himself is not entirely blameless for encouraging it but but not denying it and being clear on his f uture just adds fire and turns people and those on this forum onto each other.

Personally we should be tying up deals for new players in the next few weeks where possible to strike early but say we miss out on CL, Poch has a career hangover and needs time to think and maybe doesn’t like what he hears from Levy as up where we are going as a club what then?

Miss out on players and set the club back again with further upheaval. I’d like to think he owes us another year with backing. ENIC really need to step up too and back him properly or this talk may seriously impact our CL preparations and I will be annoyed if allowed to do so.

Don’t fuck up what should be an amazing 3 weeks build up where we beat this bindipping, victim complex, self entitled scum (just read Milner’s deserved comments today).

What did boring Milner say?

It is fair that he (Pochettino) gets the lion share of the credit, and he has. I just think it’s not the whole truth and Levy deserves some credit too.

We don’t know exactly why Mitchell left, rumours are it was more down to a conflict of purpose with Pochettino, who wanted more control over transfers?

I think this whole “Levy likes to play chicken” thing is a bit of a misnomer that the media love to peddle. If you’re running a business on small profit margins, normally you negotiate prices and try to extract value where you can. Transfers are part of (a big part) that business model, so it’s vital you don’t over pay and under sell, or you are going to be reducing your profits and/or increasing your business losses.

All bar a couple of oligarch owners are having to work like this, this notion that Levy is unique in this is a fallacy. He might be better at it than some, or negotiate harder than some? But he’s definitely not unique. And it’s not like Poch took the job thinking we were ManU or Chelsea is it?

You are right, a buyer could come in and do a better job, and I haven’t agreed with everything Levy’s done (I agree our scouting has been poor lately and I really wish we had retained a DOF and not made Poch the de facto head of recruitment), but the general evidence of the footballing world suggests they are unlikely to make a better job of it thanLevy has overall.

How many clubs, sustainably run, have improved as much as we have in every aspect? Football, financial, infrastructure?
Levy does get credit, people frequently give credit but I've never gone along with this notion that everytime someone criticises Levy they have to give him credit. It's not a misnomer , he likes to be seen as a tough negotiator and he is a tough negotiator but his head coach is telling him get players in early , look for another way to do business.

The rumours about Mitchell leaving point to him not being able to work with Levy, Poch tried to persuade him to stay.

Poch knew the job when he came in that's true but he's now tired of working with scant resources, so whats to be done? Let one of the best managers we ever had walk and possible wait another 20 years before finding someone as good or do the best we can to listen to his concerns and actually lay out a plan, which I'm amazed we don't have.

It's no good having a DOF if the DOF is not allowed to work, like I said Poch is not the defacto head of recruitment, Levy is. I don't think the DOF model is going out of fashion at all, I think it's being talked about more, clubs like Man U have wasted millions on players that aren't up to scratch and they want to do things smarter. Our problem is we have been very non committal on the model.

I agree that we are run well but there is always room for improvement right?

He has though, it certainly might have been easier if he was able to recruit last summer.

Thats not the point.....its the entitlement that if we do win it, Levy will get no credit, as if we should have won it years ago.

And if we lose, he will get roasted, as if everyone who expected an 8th place finish suddenly see the CL Trophy as a bare minimum for this squad.

Im not sure the CL final was on anyones radar, so "making it easier" to get there is just a hindsight, move the goal posts kind of attitude to be fair.

Thats not the point.....its the entitlement that if we do win it, Levy will get no credit, as if we should have won it years ago.

And if we lose, he will get roasted, as if everyone who expected an 8th place finish suddenly see the CL Trophy as a bare minimum for this squad.

Im not sure the CL final was on anyones radar, so "making it easier" to get there is just a hindsight, move the goal posts kind of attitude to be fair.
Of course he will Levy has a huge fanbase of people willing to give him credit. I don't think he'll get roasted, see any match day thread, it's the players and Poch that will get roasted if we lose in a limp manner.

I think Poch’s comments are pretty easy to understand. We’re at the end of a chapter. That chapter was building the foundations of one of the most advanced football clubs on the planet in Spurs Lodge and NWHL.

He has understood that we have needed to be “So Brave” with recent budgets and expectations to make this possible. Doesn’t mean he likes it.

This chapter is now closed and we need to focus back on the team if we expect anymore CL finals amongst other nice things. If not... maybe no Poch.

All this partisan Levy/Poch cloak and dagger bollocks is mystifying to me.

giphy.gif
Nailed it.

This has always been the summer those of us without agenda said we should make our moves.

It was obvious.

Get in the stadium, start reaping the benefits.

Of course he will Levy has a huge fanbase of people willing to give him credit. I don't think he'll get roasted, see any match day thread, it's the players and Poch that will get roasted if we lose in a limp manner.

No one will roast the players unless they lie down and hero worship the Liverpool players.
Lose if you cant win, but die trying.

However, should we lose, whether its with grace and dignity, giving everything, or we wimper out without a fight, there is a group of people who will point to last summer and say "See!!! And some people said we didnt need new players, Levy has betrayed us!!!"

These people didnt think this squad was good enough for top 4.
Yet lose the CL Final, and get top 4, and they STILL will think they had it spot on. This squad has surpassed everyones expectations, even those who backed it last summer.

Yet there are still people slagging off the chairman for neglecting the club, and that wont change whatever happens on June 1.

No one will roast the players unless they lie down and hero worship the Liverpool players.
Lose if you cant win, but die trying.

However, should we lose, whether its with grace and dignity, giving everything, or we wimper out without a fight, there is a group of people who will point to last summer and say "See!!! And some people said we didnt need new players, Levy has betrayed us!!!"

These people didnt think this squad was good enough for top 4.
Yet lose the CL Final, and get top 4, and they STILL will think they had it spot on. This squad has surpassed everyones expectations, even those who backed it last summer.

Yet there are still people slagging off the chairman for neglecting the club, and that wont change whatever happens on June 1.
I think they have a legitimate point, even Poch doesn't want to go into next season without changing the squad and he wanted to add to it in the summer. If Poch has intimated that Levy is the reason why we didn't buy and he's speaking out season after season of course people are going to criticise Levy.

I think they have a legitimate point, even Poch doesn't want to go into next season without changing the squad and he wanted to add to it in the summer. If Poch has intimated that Levy is the reason why we didn't buy and he's speaking out season after season of course people are going to criticise Levy.

No they dont.

If I slag someone off for their preparation for a 100m race, and predict they come 7th specifically due to those reasons, I think they would be within their rights to tell me to fuck right off, if they finish 3rd, plus get to the final two in the high jump and here I am.........slagging them off for not doing better.

Have people got no self respect? Its pathetic entitlement.

The back up has well and truly shat on many peoples views of them this season, and cunts want to sit there and say they should have been replaced.

What? Maddison and Zaha and we would be champions?

No they dont.

If I slag someone off for their preparation for a 100m race, and predict they come 7th specifically due to those reasons, I think they would be within their rights to tell me to fuck right off, if they finish 3rd, plus get to the final two in the high jump and here I am.........slagging them off for not doing better.

Have people got no self respect? Its pathetic entitlement.

The back up has well and truly shat on many peoples views of them this season, and cunts want to sit there and say they should have been replaced.

What? Maddison and Zaha and we would be champions?
That's all very well if that someone is happy with their preparation and wants to repeat it in the next championships. Poch is intimating the opposite, if there is no plan, I can't go on. So it's clear that he's had enough and win or lose he wants that preparation to be better.

That's all very well if that someone is happy with their preparation and wants to repeat it in the next championships. Poch is intimating the opposite, if there is no plan, I can't go on. So it's clear that he's had enough and win or lose he wants that preparation to be better.

None of that is relevant though.

The people who slagged off the chairman and squad regarding last summers window were talking about failure THIS season.

They have no right trying to hone their views from last summer into this summer.

This summer is a 100% different situation to last (Last summer we had a fully fit squad, we had Dembele, we didnt have a home ground, Eriksen and Toby had two years left and there was hope of them signing and we were not potential Champions of Europe) so whatever people thought of the squad in August 2018 means nothing.

They have been proven wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom