Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch is clearly stating that he is going to leave Spurs and work for Bielsa in the Championship with Leeds next season. It's all right there I don't know why you can't see the obvious.
Win the CL for Spurs and Poch can retire to open a streaming service in which he shaves/lotions his legs whilst Bielsa wanks and not only will I not be bothered by it, I'll subscribe.

But then he's still under contract for another 4 years, Spurs have to pay him but he can't just walk out and go to another club unless the club agrees.

It's a fixed term contract, if there were no protection for a club then they would never sign such long contracts.
Isn’t there also a clause that if we fire him he only gets compensated until such time he finds a new job?

Nope. And niether could you. And I couldn't tell you who he did want.

What we both know is that he got no-one for 2 successive transfer windows and is now making noises that we can't continue going forward with the same approach.

Those are the facts. And I only deal with facts, as you rightly pointed out.
we could waste time going through all the facts you plucked out your arse. but you get upset when people do that, and start throwing out those "vile insults" you claim to want nothing to do with. except, of course, when its you doing the insulting.

I can give you a good idea on a player he did want, btw. Llorente, for one. who stated that Pochettino called him and persuaded him to join us over the chavs.

Still, as you say, we dont know anything. which makes it a pity that you've spent most of the season claiming that Levy is solely responsible fopr us not signing anyone when you have no idea if thats the case.

But then he's still under contract for another 4 years, Spurs have to pay him but he can't just walk out and go to another club unless the club agrees.

It's a fixed term contract, if there were no protection for a club then they would never sign such long contracts.
There's no way Levy would continue to pay Poch for 4 years if he walked (and rightly so) just to prevent him managing someone else.
Anyway, let's hope that when the showdown talks take place Levy shows Poch a strategy he can work with and we all look back on this debate with a pleasant irony

There's no way Levy would continue to pay Poch for 4 years if he walked (and rightly so) just to prevent him managing someone else.
Anyway, let's hope that when the showdown talks take place Levy shows Poch a strategy he can work with and we all look back on this debate with a pleasant irony
Like we do when you said you were worried he'd go to United?

Well, when the FA inquired about Redknapp all those years ago Levy told them they would have to pay the £15m release clause (Spurs had the automatic right to extend his contract even though it was expiring)........once Woy was appointed Levy called Redknapp in and told him the club wouldn't be extending his deal and he was sacked immediately........so, yeah it is the sort of thing Levy would do

we could waste time going through all the facts you plucked out your arse. but you get upset when people do that, and start throwing out those "vile insults" you claim to want nothing to do with. except, of course, when its you doing the insulting.

I can give you a good idea on a player he did want, btw. Llorente, for one. who stated that Pochettino called him and persuaded him to join us over the chavs.

Still, as you say, we dont know anything. which makes it a pity that you've spent most of the season claiming that Levy is solely responsible fopr us not signing anyone when you have no idea if thats the case.
Oh for Heavens sake. Why is this even an argument?

The fact is we didn't sign anyone for 2 transfer windows. You may be ok with that. That's fine.
But if Pochettino didn't want any of the players available within the transfer budget he had to work with then either that transfer budget wasn't big enough to satisfy his requirements or he was just being an awkward cock to make Levy out as a cunt.

Whatever it was, and I doubt it was the latter, he's just made it patently clear he wants a new approach and better tools to work with. His lips were moving as the words came out of his mouth

I don't get why we all need to fall out over this. We all want the same thing at the end of the day.

Last edited:
A contract is a contract. Poch cannot just “walk” as people are suggesting and he stated pretty clearly that he is not the type of man to dishonour a contract.

If he doesn’t get the backing he wants and deserves then the only way he can leave is if he starts performing poorly. As we will be forced to sack him but I still don’t think that’s his style.

Personally I feel he will get more backing this year than he has ever received before. Just the fact that we are linked to players (Gomes, Sessegnon) from credible sources this early in the summer is telling.

It’s a stark contrast to last season, I mean the Grealish stuff started late June wasn’t it? And that was the only thing that really gained a head of steam.

I don't get why we all need to fall out over this. We all want the same thing at the end of the day.
Not really. A lot of us want to watch our club win the Champions League. You and your ilk seemingly couldn't give 2 fucks, as you're too preoccupied belaboring the point that without big investment new signings we can't compete for major honours, despite the fact that we are currently doing EXACTLY that.

Which makes it pretty clear that your aim is simply to cunt Levy off, no matter what.

Personally I feel he will get more backing this year than he has ever received before. Just the fact that we are linked to players (Gomes, Sessegnon) from credible sources this early in the summer is telling.

It’s a stark contrast to last season, I mean the Grealish stuff started late June wasn’t it? And that was the only thing that really gained a head of steam.

It's much easier for us to sign speculatively this summer as Dembele, Llorente and Vorm will all definitely be gone - so immediately we have space in our quota of non-homegrown players.

Not really. A lot of us want to watch our club win the Champions League. You and your ilk seemingly couldn't give 2 fucks, as you're too preoccupied belaboring the point that without big investment new signings we can't compete for major honours, despite the fact that we are currently doing EXACTLY that.

Which makes it pretty clear that your aim is simply to cunt Levy off, no matter what.

Here’s a point I made in June 2017.....swap PL for CL.
Nothing changes for some

So win the PL, celebrate for 5 minutes and then start fretting about how other clubs will be better next year and we need signings or we will just be like Leicester etc etc etc etc

Well where we are now is in the champions league final and we're there because of Poch and the players, there is no way that Levy expected that when he appointed Poch, be that as it may I've never denied that he has done well. Being unwilling to compromise is definitely a bad thing when one of our best ever managers feels compelled to come out on the eve of the biggest game in our history and say he's not open to continue without a plan.

This should disturb any supporter because we always hear about how good the relationship is between Poch and Levy, yet after a whole season when they have had ample chance to talk behind closed doors, nothing has obviously been and it's not the first time Poch has come out and said things like this.

When you say we are in the CL final because of Poch and the players, I think you are over simplifying a much more complex situation. When it comes to success(s) and achievements it always seems to be “the manager” or the “players” who get all the credit, but any/every failure is Levy’s? We are in a CL final because we have qualified for the CL three years running now and in a knock-out competition you always have that chance. We've qualified because Levy made a bold move in hiring Pochettino, gave him the environment to succeed - including giving him first of all the longest first time contract he'd given any manager, giving him full control over his training and team environment, then control over player acquisitions and lately made him one of the world's highest paid coaches. He also provided him with some of the best training facilities in the world and made sure he's only had to sell one player (a RB - and even then with Poch's full consent - according to Poch himself).

If your interpretation of the statements Poch is making are correct, they don’t sound very much like compromise either, they sound like ultimatums? I personally don't think he's necessarily saying that, I actually think it's about pride with him, and trying to make it clear to the media (fans) that if we are not going to compete in the transfer market then he doesn't want to be seen to failing if we don't get top4 or compete for the title or win trophies.

And this really isn't the first time he's said stuff like this, he's said stuff like this many times. I think it was emphasised again because he's really struggled this season, performances have been mediocre and results really erratic, lots of wins but lots of defeats for a top 4 team too and it's a version of "I can only work with what Ive got" (and for the record, I blame Poch at least equally for him having "what he's got" because he's been head of transfers that's not alway made great decisions).

I don't know what the future holds regards to our financial model, CL and the new stadium should mean increased profit margins, and Lvey/ENIC have always re-invested profits - it's just that up until last season we averaged over the nine previous years (2008-2017) 16m profit per year (and our net spend averaged 12.5m per year).

And under Levy/ENIC we have always been, and I suspect will continue to be a club that operates on a normal sustainable business MO, dictated by it's financial parameters which have hopefully increased. Either that or they will now sell up and a new owner with a new model will come in, but the way football is governed now, unless that owner is prepared to flout FFP radically, I don't see much changing - you just have to see the way Chelsea are now run, or Woolwich even.

I think Poch’s comments are pretty easy to understand. We’re at the end of a chapter. That chapter was building the foundations of one of the most advanced football clubs on the planet in Spurs Lodge and NWHL.

He has understood that we have needed to be “So Brave” with recent budgets and expectations to make this possible. Doesn’t mean he likes it.

This chapter is now closed and we need to focus back on the team if we expect anymore CL finals amongst other nice things. If not... maybe no Poch.

All this partisan Levy/Poch cloak and dagger bollocks is mystifying to me.

giphy.gif

When you say we are in the CL final because of Poch and the players, I think you are over simplifying a much more complex situation. When it comes to success(s) and achievements it always seems to be “the manager” or the “players” who get all the credit, but any/every failure is Levy’s? We are in a CL final because we have qualified for the CL three years running now and in a knock-out competition you always have that chance. We've qualified because Levy made a bold move in hiring Pochettino, gave him the environment to succeed - including giving him first of all the longest first time contract he'd given any manager, giving him full control over his training and team environment, then control over player acquisitions and lately made him one of the world's highest paid coaches. He also provided him with some of the best training facilities in the world and made sure he's only had to sell one player (a RB - and even then with Poch's full consent - according to Poch himself).

If your interpretation of the statements Poch is making are correct, they don’t sound very much like compromise either, they sound like ultimatums? I personally don't think he's necessarily saying that, I actually think it's about pride with him, and trying to make it clear to the media (fans) that if we are not going to compete in the transfer market then he doesn't want to be seen to failing if we don't get top4 or compete for the title or win trophies.

And this really isn't the first time he's said stuff like this, he's said stuff like this many times. I think it was emphasised again because he's really struggled this season, performances have been mediocre and results really erratic, lots of wins but lots of defeats for a top 4 team too and it's a version of "I can only work with what Ive got" (and for the record, I blame Poch at least equally for him having "what he's got" because he's been head of transfers that's not alway made great decisions).

I don't know what the future holds regards to our financial model, CL and the new stadium should mean increased profit margins, and Lvey/ENIC have always re-invested profits - it's just that up until last season we averaged over the nine previous years (2008-2017) 16m profit per year (and our net spend averaged 12.5m per year).

And under Levy/ENIC we have always been, and I suspect will continue to be a club that operates on a normal sustainable business MO, dictated by it's financial parameters which have hopefully increased. Either that or they will now sell up and a new owner with a new model will come in, but the way football is governed now, unless that owner is prepared to flout FFP radically, I don't see much changing - you just have to see the way Chelsea are now run, or Woolwich even.

Great post

I can see it already if we win the CL

“Poch worked miracles. We should have won it years ago though if Evil ENIC invested properly”

Back
Top Bottom