Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The biggest, most highest profile Club he has ever managed.

Indeed, why wouldn't he. Spending decades in the lower leagues and at a shitty club around the corner, and then getting the type of job, he'd likely given up on ever getting when in his 60's. Followed by taken us further than he'd ever imagined, given we were rock bottom when he came...as he was inclined to remind us again and again and again :harrysmile:

Scenes at City upon securing 4th, overturning Young Boys when it seemed we'd fucked up, European nights at WHL, nights in Milan, and taken on Real Madrid.

A managerial career going nowhere fast, both before and after us. He'd be a weird one, if we didn't hold a special place in his heart :harryhmm:

Indeed, why wouldn't he. Spending decades in the lower leagues and at a shitty club around the corner, and then getting the type of job, he'd likely given up on ever getting when in his 60's. Followed by taken us further than he'd ever imagined, given we were rock bottom when he came...as he was inclined to remind us again and again and again :harrysmile:

Scenes at City upon securing 4th, overturning Young Boys when it seemed we'd fucked up, European nights at WHL, nights in Milan, and taken on Real Madrid.

A managerial career going nowhere fast, both before and after us. He'd be a weird one, if we didn't hold a special place in his heart :harryhmm:
I do like him, actually I think he's one of better pundits on the scene. Not just with his position with us (and he's always been complimentary of us and actually Levy too) but with other clubs too, he doesn't go with many of the major narratives that surround certain clubs, he genuinely watches football matches and all of his views are based on what he sees, it shouldn't be odd that someone would do that but unfortunately it appears it is.

More than anything it's about being "different" it absolutely doesn't mean "spend" which is what so many hung their hat on.

One of the things that I said at the time was that it was also about getting Levy to change, that change wasn't to spend "BIG" another miss interpretation at the time, I inferred that it was to not spend at all. Levy would always spend (always the debate was about the player that we spent money on good/bad/cheap option etc but he would always spend). Poch has broken this process of an agent knocking on Levy's door being offered a player, Poch wants a specific player for a specific position/function, he would rather have no-one than a player that doesn't fulfil his requirements.

This has come to pass.

Don't really think this has come to pass. I read you subsequent post calling everything John Thomas John Thomas said as being wrong, but the bit you say in bold is you being blatantly wrong and John Thomas John Thomas being right, Poch did want to buy players last summer, even in the Poch interview you posted on Wednesday, Poch says he wanted to sign people last summer.

All those people that hung their hat on him meaning "spend" we're right. Whatever being brave meant, it definitely didn't mean "not spend a penny or buy nobody" because Poch has stated he wanted to.

Ultimately though it's about being brave with our way, our convictions to be different. This is his most consistent message he has delivered, in fact, he's never once deviated away from it. It also demonstrates that he is totally in sync with Levy on how we fiscally operate and working within this.

Pochettino, a Formula One fan, used the example of Alonso facing Lewis Hamilton in a far superior car, to highlight the challenge his Spurs side face.

"When you work in football, it's because you want to win," Pochettino said. "When you are a player the only thing you want is to win.

"You can be a winner but if you don't have the tools to win, it's difficult. If you have the car to win and you are good, then you win.

"If you have the same car as another who is good, then one is going to win and the other is going to lose.

"Take the example of Fernando Alonso and compare with Hamilton. If you put Hamilton in McLaren last season and Alonso in Mercedes, it's the same result: Hamilton at the bottom and Alonso at the top.

"I always put the same example. Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton are the best drivers in Formula One.

"But if you put Hamilton in McLaren last season and Alonso in Mercedes, it's the same history, Hamilton on the bottom and Alonso on the top. That's the reality.

"Where did Alonso finish last season with McLaren? I follow Formula One. I love McLaren. But it wasn't competitive last season. That's the reality, no? But do you think that's a problem with Alonso or a problem with the car?"

Anyone thinks this isn't a guy who wants to be given the same "tools" as the manager's he's competing with, and actually wants to be different is kidding themselves.

At least the penny is dropping for that majority now:
a) Poch has been given the reigns, he's earned them.
b) There is zero rift, zero ultimatums, zero showdown talks with Levy. The absolute opposite is at play.
c) He's 100% committed to Tottenham. He always has been. His ability will always attract the admiration of other clubs, which in turns leads to speculation, but that speculation in the press is the process of those other clubs tapping up, it's not Poch saying "he's off". It's not "back me or I'm off".

a) Sissoko, Aurier and Moura at about 150m in fees and wages suggest to me the new way isn't any better than the old way and the transfer reigns should be taken back.

b) There might be zero rift, I think Poch probably understands the realities and Levy pays him the third highest salary in the world to understand these realities and likewise Poch is grown up enough to generally toe the party line, but the quotes above and his constantly admitting he'd like to strengthen, holding his pockets out etc, make it clear he'd prefer not to have to cope with these realities.

I don't have a problem with the way we are run, I'm not and never had got bent out of shape about the fact that we have to run like any normal business, and I think both Levy and Poch are excellent at their respective jobs, getting the most from the environment they are working in, but I just don't understand this need to spin us as some evangelical Ark on which everyone is floating on a supercilious cloud of righteous joy. We do seem to be a well run club with a generally good consensus running from top down, but I'm sure it fucks Poch off that he can't go out and spend 200m on three players. And it's understandable, and it's not heresy to say that that's probably the case.

Like Redknapp didn't moan every fucking window about needing to spend more money to compete, despite having a team that included Walker, Dallas, King, Rose, Parker, Modric, Bale, VDV, Adebayor....

Easy for him to say it now. Like he wouldn't have have been banging Levy's door down telling him Sissoko and Aurier aren't good enough for CL or that "he needs to spend 40m on Batshuayi.

Don't really think this has come to pass. I read you subsequent post calling everything John Thomas John Thomas said as being wrong, but the bit you say in bold is you being blatantly wrong and John Thomas John Thomas being right, Poch did want to buy players last summer, even in the Poch interview you posted on Wednesday, Poch says he wanted to sign people last summer.

All those people that hung their hat on him meaning "spend" we're right. Whatever being brave meant, it definitely didn't mean "not spend a penny or buy nobody" because Poch has stated he wanted to.

Pochettino, a Formula One fan, used the example of Alonso facing Lewis Hamilton in a far superior car, to highlight the challenge his Spurs side face.

"When you work in football, it's because you want to win," Pochettino said. "When you are a player the only thing you want is to win.

"You can be a winner but if you don't have the tools to win, it's difficult. If you have the car to win and you are good, then you win.

"If you have the same car as another who is good, then one is going to win and the other is going to lose.

"Take the example of Fernando Alonso and compare with Hamilton. If you put Hamilton in McLaren last season and Alonso in Mercedes, it's the same result: Hamilton at the bottom and Alonso at the top.

"I always put the same example. Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton are the best drivers in Formula One.

"But if you put Hamilton in McLaren last season and Alonso in Mercedes, it's the same history, Hamilton on the bottom and Alonso on the top. That's the reality.

"Where did Alonso finish last season with McLaren? I follow Formula One. I love McLaren. But it wasn't competitive last season. That's the reality, no? But do you think that's a problem with Alonso or a problem with the car?"

Anyone thinks this isn't a guy who wants to be given the same "tools" as the manager's he's competing with, and actually wants to be different is kidding themselves.

a) Sissoko, Aurier and Moura at about 150m in fees and wages suggest to me the new way isn't any better than the old way and the transfer reigns should be taken back.

b) There might be zero rift, I think Poch probably understands the realities and Levy pays him the third highest salary in the world to understand these realities and likewise Poch is grown up enough to generally toe the party line, but the quotes above and his constantly admitting he'd like to strengthen, holding his pockets out etc, make it clear he'd prefer not to have to cope with these realities.

I don't have a problem with the way we are run, I'm not and never had got bent out of shape about the fact that we have to run like any normal business, and I think both Levy and Poch are excellent at their respective jobs, getting the most from the environment they are working in, but I just don't understand this need to spin us as some evangelical Ark on which everyone is floating on a supercilious cloud of righteous joy. We do seem to be a well run club with a generally good consensus running from top down, but I'm sure it fucks Poch off that he can't go out and spend 200m on three players. And it's understandable, and it's not heresy to say that that's probably the case.
Fuck me War & Peace! I’ll rephrase, he (Poch) will not buy “anyone”. That’s what’s different, he now has control over this. He does want to buy but whoever that is would be identified and scouted against a profile. If this can’t be sort then he wouldn’t take anyone.

Every player acquired whilst he has been here we do not know the circumstances of, that’s to say how long has it taken for Poch to gain this control/trust. Many will take the bullshit route of all good signings are Poch choices and all bad signings are Levy’s.

For me there will probably be no change in the hit-rate of the success or failures with this approach. But as always I will put my faith in the selection process in favor of a football person rather than a business person. I’m also confident that Poch values his transfer team when in this process too, he appears to work well with McDermott. As for Hitchin I don’t know because I’m not sure who he’s scouted, Poch hasn’t referenced him by name I don’t think??

I have no idea who Poch wants for what position. So does he scout Mesi and make his recommendations that we spend our entire transfer budget on him alone or to expand that to a wider context is he looking to scout a player that’s experienced and is a world class talent, or another Dele or Sanchez???

Everything up to this point has been quite easy to predict and understand (even taking into account they are unknowns such as who actually signed who or who has scouted who) if you listen to what has been communicated against what has happened.

The one thing that still baffles me is people slating our transfer strategy to date because irrespective of who scouted who or who bought who for how much. We are were we are because of our policy not in spite of it (this also includes the failures).

We are into a new phase, one that Poch has a particular overriding control on. Let’s see what his way is.

Like Redknapp didn't moan every fucking window about needing to spend more money to compete, despite having a team that included Walker, Dallas, King, Rose, Parker, Modric, Bale, VDV, Adebayor....

Easy for him to say it now. Like he wouldn't have have been banging Levy's door down telling him Sissoko and Aurier aren't good enough for CL or that "he needs to spend 40m on Batshuayi.
What we do know is players were offered to Levy buy agents and Levy would then go to Redknapp for is nod. Contrary to the popular myth about Saha and Neilson Levy went to Redknapp and asked him what he wanted for that window, he said he was happy with the squad. Levy told him about those two players, and under Rednapp’s approval they were brought in. This was confirmed by Jamie Redknapp in an interview on TalkSport prior to us playing QPR managed by Redknapp (we spanked them 4-0). The link to which I’ve posted on here before.

I’m sure also it’s now become more difficult for agents to have relationships with managers as much business is conducted via DOF’s and the board/CEO/Chairman these days. That era was always a nice little earner for the managers & their love for brown paper bag deals.

A number of our players, Walker, Rose, Foyth etc were bought in as youngsters and then moved onto the first team. Also some failures in Bostock. It is disappointing that we have not even got someone in for the future or is Poch not wanting to look that far forward or waste limited funds on the future. The Leeds player could have been bought and loaned back until the summer.

A number of our players, Walker, Rose, Foyth etc were bought in as youngsters and then moved onto the first team. Also some failures in Bostock. It is disappointing that we have not even got someone in for the future or is Poch not wanting to look that far forward or waste limited funds on the future. The Leeds player could have been bought and loaned back until the summer.
his agent confirmed that they were not even entertaining bids like that

Top post.

I will add though, that for me it's not about "floating on a supercilious cloud of righteous joy." It's about trying to recognise what it means that Poch would like to spend, which I agree with you on.

It says to me that we're on the cusp of being in a position, where we can indeed spend. Be it one, two or ???? years down the line from moving back to our home. If not, given that Poch does want reasonable spending power, he would have said fuck this shit and left already.

I say reasonable spending, because Poch is no mug. He's closing in on 5 years with us. Since the sheikh took over at City zero managers has lasted that long, same with Chavs since that Russian dude, same with United post-Fergie (granted not a long time past for it, but no one's looked like they were close to being afforded that time). Looking to the other potential top jobs for Poch. PSG no one close since money came in. Bayern, Hitzfeld lasted 6 years two decades ago, other than that it's back to 60's for someone to last even 5 years. Barca had Rijkaard for 5 years and Cruyff 6 years as the longest tenures in the last 100 years. Real hasn't had a manager for 5 years or more since the 60's/early 70's.

And all those clubs have been winning many major trophies for large portions of the time. Having 100m+ net spend each year is wonderful, but it comes with a set of different circumstances and expectations. Could you really see Poch telling the Sheikh that he feels at least one of Foden, Sancho, or Diaz will be twice the player of Mahrez within a couple of years, if given playing time, so keep your money? Which I'm pretty sure is how he would have felt. He would have been told that now counts, and he would be out on his arse, if not buying meant going one or two more years with no CL trophy.

Poch wants to be able to spend, but more so my gut feeling is that he doesn't want to be a managerial nomad. He wants more to see and help Kane, Alli, Sanchez, and take your pick in the squad go from what they are now to the absolute maximum, they can be. And win trophies along that process. He has next to no chance at doing that sort of thing at the clubs vying for his services. He has a very real shot at it with us, especially if the pursestrings is gradually opened, to compliment seeing players develop. He's clever enough to recognise that unique situation.

People really aren't that bright.

''Brave'' probably meant a multitude of things.

Transfers
Wages
Backing Youth
Tactics
Attitude

Poch is not the kind of person that has a one-track mind.

Back
Top Bottom