Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're on glue. Benitez hasn't been a top manager for a long time. Poch runs circles around Benitez in his sleep.

Not sure that is correct but Benitez ain't the answer.

There is nearly nothing other than winning the Premier League that Pochettino could be expected to achieve with our resources. He is near the optimum in that regard unless we buy 3 quality players and at what cost??

But there is an issue in one-off games. No doubt at all and if you could buy a manager for that kind of match Pochettino would not be in the top 10.

It is a problem.

I'm confused what people wanted the Crux of the match was that our players died on there feet for the last 30 we had had 3 huge games in little under a week and they hadn't. In fact they played kids on Thursday and a weaker side the Saturday to rest up for this. No one on that bench would of had a difference as they where all just as tired as who we had on the pitch. I know it hurts cause it's them but there wheels on there party bus will fall of soon, this is usually the time of year we hit form as the others stuggle due to fixture demads and our fitter squad tends to deal with it better.

In 2 weeks time I'm 100% sure we will be 5 points ahead of them again and they will go back into there caves.

I believe that Poch is a great manager who has taken this team as far as he can. Yesterday showed his managerial limits. Starting a new pairing at centre back in a heated derby was foolish. The lack of substitutions when the game was clearly slipping away was also difficult to understand. It's one game I know, but what a game to lose. Feels like a marker.

The concern I have is his inability to instil a winning mentality. We still look like the almost men. Interestingly, when Kane scored yesterday his celebration looked reserved. I would fully expect him to ram it down their throats. They must've been shittting it at that stage. Pour it on them, I say. It all looked subdued. The general attitude wasn't right. That mentality comes from the top down.

My point is that if Poch lets players walk onto the pitch against that lot not ready to eat their own shit to win, he either doesn't understand that game or he can't motivate them in the right way.

Benitez is a manager who has won things. I think he has the managerial experience and approach to reach the next level with Tottenham. Poch should be thanked and moved on. Time to be ruthless.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

You are entitled to your opinions. Even when they are fucking ridiculous. Like the one you just presented is.

We have a squad that has been worn to shreds because of the success in the league, in the cups and in international competitions - largely due to the fantastic job Poch has performed with the individuals, the team and the squad.

Despite what some armchair managers seem to think, he has had to manage the squad in these crucial games. He's had to take some risks. Against Chelsea it went brilliantly. Against Inter it went well.

Against an Woolwich team who's had a full week of preparations while we fought against Inter midweek and who played Bournemouth when we faced Chelsea, who were cheered on by a very enthusiastic home crowd, who probably had most of their players training in London while ours were on international duty, who had way more to win in the game than us, we simply couldn't match their energy, aggression and precision on the day. Hardly a reason to fire the manager.

Should Alderweireld have played? Ideally, yeah, but he's been playing a hell of a lot this season, particularly if you keep in mind his injury problems last season.

Not sure that is correct but Benitez ain't the answer.

There is nearly nothing other than winning the Premier League that Pochettino could be expected to achieve with our resources. He is near the optimum in that regard unless we buy 3 quality players and at what cost??

But there is an issue in one-off games. No doubt at all and if you could buy a manager for that kind of match Pochettino would not be in the top 10.

It is a problem.

I think the issue is Pochettino's got a "my way or the highway" belief.

When we win big games, we tend to win them with emphatic performances.

5-3 vs Chelsea (2014-15)
4-1 vs Man City (2015-16)
3-0 vs Man Utd (2015-16)
2-0 vs Man City (2016-17)
2-0 vs Chelsea (2016-17)
2-0 vs Woolwich (2016-17)
4-1 vs Liverpool (2017-18)
2-0 vs Man Utd (2017-18)
1-0 vs Woolwich (2017-18)
3-1 vs Chelsea (2017-18)

*Note I have excluded the Man Utd 3-0 this season and included a 1-0 win vs Woolwich last season because the performance in the 1-0 was far more dominant than the 3-0. In all of the games above we were pretty much on the ball from minute one, and if not, the majority of the game.

The flip side is I can't remember many big game wins where we have won against the run of play or were clinging on to the end. The 2-1 win at the Etihad in 2016 when Eriksen scored late is the only one I think where the result was in spite of the performance.

What I'm getting at is we appear to be an all or nothing team under Pochettino against the big six. Yesterday another manager might have counted his blessings that his team came into half time with a lead somehow. And then he would have sent his team out to park the bus, close all the space and sit on it for the next 45. And he might very well have done it. Or he would have readjusted the system because his team are winning in spite of the tactics, not because of it. I'm thinking of how we have been done in both Semi Finals.

Poch doesn't do that. On one hand his mentality instills a style of play and ethos to be proud of because we are a team that tries to play and we want to get better at Plan A rather than rely on Plan B a lot. But on the other there is no Plan B because everything is geared for Plan A and when that fails we're left hoping for the best.

It's why for 180 minutes against Juventus we were the better team for about 140 minutes. But their 40 minutes over two games saw them score four goals and knock us out. It's a big contradiction and one where if he became a little better, we as a team would be a lot better. Because we can win games against these teams with Plan A but we can win a few more by having a fall back option.

Ha! I think he's an option, yes. Poch has had this team for a few years and mostly we're playing great football. But, we're still not there.

You could argue if it hasn't happened yet, it is unlikely to in the next year or two. What would Poch do that he hasn't already done?

Is Benitez so daft? He has won big competitions and considered to be very astute tactically. His CV reads better than Poch's.

That, or I'm on glue.

AVB's CV reads better than Poch's.

Should we get him back?

I think the issue is Pochettino's got a "my way or the highway" belief.

When we win big games, we tend to win them with emphatic performances.

5-3 vs Chelsea (2014-15)
4-1 vs Man City (2015-16)
3-0 vs Man Utd (2015-16)
2-0 vs Man City (2016-17)
2-0 vs Chelsea (2016-17)
2-0 vs Woolwich (2016-17)
4-1 vs Liverpool (2017-18)
2-0 vs Man Utd (2017-18)
1-0 vs Woolwich (2017-18)
3-1 vs Chelsea (2017-18)

*Note I have excluded the Man Utd 3-0 this season and included a 1-0 win vs Woolwich last season because the performance in the 1-0 was far more dominant than the 3-0. In all of the games above we were pretty much on the ball from minute one, and if not, the majority of the game.

The flip side is I can't remember many big game wins where we have won against the run of play or were clinging on to the end. The 2-1 win at the Etihad in 2016 when Eriksen scored late is the only one I think where the result was in spite of the performance.

What I'm getting at is we appear to be an all or nothing team under Pochettino against the big six. Yesterday another manager might have counted his blessings that his team came into half time with a lead somehow. And then he would have sent his team out to park the bus, close all the space and sit on it for the next 45. And he might very well have done it. Or he would have readjusted the system because his team are winning in spite of the tactics, not because of it. I'm thinking of how we have been done in both Semi Finals.

Poch doesn't do that. On one hand his mentality instills a style of play and ethos to be proud of because we are a team that tries to play and we want to get better at Plan A rather than rely on Plan B a lot. But on the other there is no Plan B because everything is geared for Plan A and when that fails we're left hoping for the best.

It's why for 180 minutes against Juventus we were the better team for about 140 minutes. But their 40 minutes over two games saw them score four goals and knock us out. It's a big contradiction and one where if he became a little better, we as a team would be a lot better. Because we can win games against these teams with Plan A but we can win a few more by having a fall back option.

Mate, you have literally just made my point.

Look at your list. Only 1 game where we won by a goal.

Says so so much.

Yep, I agree. Made the point yesterday that he generally thinks subs are only for when things have gone tits up.

If we are playing shit and winning, he won’t make a pro active sub to kill the game.

Sadly, on the the occasions I can remember him doing this, we've often ended up relinquishing further control... Maybe he feels somewhat burned by these instances.

I believe that Poch is a great manager who has taken this team as far as he can. Yesterday showed his managerial limits.
Well that's a condradiction in terms, make your mind up.
If losing away to a rested and revitalised Woolwich deservse the sack then losing 0-3 at home to a shite West Ham team is hardly an endorsement of Benitez's claim to the job. Your post is all over the place.

It boggles my mind that people are suggesting we replace him. What he's done working within the confines of the current austerity is a minor miracle. I hope Levy sorts this shit out for next season...imagine where we'd be with actual rotation options.

Ha! I think he's an option, yes. Poch has had this team for a few years and mostly we're playing great football. But, we're still not there.

You could argue if it hasn't happened yet, it is unlikely to in the next year or two. What would Poch do that he hasn't already done?

Is Benitez so daft? He has won big competitions and considered to be very astute tactically. His CV reads better than Poch's.

That, or I'm on glue.
Still not where? We qualified for the CL last season, the next step is winning the prem league.
Benitez would have gone nuts this summer, his man management skills also leave a lot to be desired.

I believe that Poch is a great manager who has taken this team as far as he can. Yesterday showed his managerial limits. Starting a new pairing at centre back in a heated derby was foolish. The lack of substitutions when the game was clearly slipping away was also difficult to understand. It's one game I know, but what a game to lose. Feels like a marker.

The concern I have is his inability to instil a winning mentality. We still look like the almost men. Interestingly, when Kane scored yesterday his celebration looked reserved. I would fully expect him to ram it down their throats. They must've been shittting it at that stage. Pour it on them, I say. It all looked subdued. The general attitude wasn't right. That mentality comes from the top down.

My point is that if Poch lets players walk onto the pitch against that lot not ready to eat their own shit to win, he either doesn't understand that game or he can't motivate them in the right way.

Benitez is a manager who has won things. I think he has the managerial experience and approach to reach the next level with Tottenham. Poch should be thanked and moved on. Time to be ruthless.

5SMG5jH.jpg

Do not ever post on this forum again you FUCK

Back
Top Bottom