Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It ain't his livelihood. He is a political journalist. He must make a few extra bob doing the odd freelance piece for ESPN. Very occasionally writes about Spurs for the Guardian but the pieces are nothing like that one. Just more about being a fan, nothing about Poch/Levy etc. I guarantee you that he's not just another journalist with an anti-Spurs bias, he's just a natural pessimist. I don't think anyone reads his piece and thinks he has connections. His connections are all in politics. He has zero connections in football. I doubt many people even read ESPN for football and those that do won't have a clue who he is.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I think we have enough enemies of our own for all the in-fighting that goes on.

Well said.

He’s a top man quite enjoy his writing normally.

Maybe read this book and come back later with a wider view on his writing MemphisWill MemphisWill .

That column did seem a bit weak but I wouldn’t write him off due to that.

Vertigo: One Football Fan's Fear of Success by John Crace – review

I’m sorry but If you wish to engage in blind adulation so be it but please do not expect others to do the same.

But it’s not blind adulation. It’s just a grown up acceptance of the fact that all football teams (and managers) at any level will have off days because it’s a game played by human beings. Overt criticism helps nobody. And in any case do you think your (and others) constant moaning will actually achieve anything? Because if you do you’re suffering from a delusion.

This is a forum for Tottenham supporters and most of us choose to support, so it’s insulting to read that makes us ‘blind’ to reality when the reality is that all teams suffer from poor performances from time to time and the majority of fans accept this and get over it quickly. Of course there’s a place for constructive criticism, but your brand of bitter carping doesn’t come close. You’ve even tried to rubbish the training centre facilities as nothing more than a money making scheme. Why? What purpose does it serve, this relentless negativity? It would be easier to take if you had facts on your side, but you don’t. You got it spectacularly wrong - as usual.

But it’s not blind adulation. It’s just a grown up acceptance of the fact that all football teams (and managers) at any level will have off days because it’s a game played by human beings. Overt criticism helps nobody. And in any case do you think your (and others) constant moaning will actually achieve anything? Because if you do you’re suffering from a delusion.

This is a forum for Tottenham supporters and most of us choose to support, so it’s insulting to read that makes us ‘blind’ to reality when the reality is that all teams suffer from poor performances from time to time and the majority of fans accept this and get over it quickly. Of course there’s a place for constructive criticism, but your brand of bitter carping doesn’t come close. You’ve even tried to rubbish the training centre facilities as nothing more than a money making scheme. Why? What purpose does it serve, this relentless negativity? It would be easier to take if you had facts on your side, but you don’t. You got it spectacularly wrong - as usual.

I have a ''mate' who I am fairly sure I have never heard say a good word about Spurs. I genuinely don't know why he supports us as we only seems to make him miserable and angry.

He has become a standing joke on FB etc.

So we lose to the bottom club in an abject manner and yet you expected a different reaction? Why? Why should our manager be immune from critique and criticism- why should he been afforded such rights? Clearly there are a lot of people with the online supporter base who do given the reaction to any sembelence of criticism - which borders on hysterical at times. He absolutely deserved criticism for that performance- it can’t be a one way process. He received adulation after the Chelsea game but somehow this wholly unacceptable when the reverse happens? I’m sorry but If you wish to engage in blind adulation so be it but please do not expect others to do the same.
No he isn’t above criticism certainly not that’s the nature of the beast but when it’s after one game (WBA)and he’s questioned you would think it was us that were being relegated not them! I’m looking at it from a fans view of twenty odd years this current Tottenham team,management etc is the best we’ve had in that period the most consistent and the most organised and it’s great being a Tottenham fan fucking brilliant compared to in the past and the shit we’ve had to put up with! we are now holding our own and that’s largely down to the manager and what HIS team have achieved long may it continue....he’ll make mistakes everyone does! If it was AVB or Gross then I could see where your coming from and anyone else who has a negative opinion on Tottenham managers but not Mauricio Pochettino!

I have a ''mate' who I am fairly sure I have never heard say a good word about Spurs. I genuinely don't know why he supports us as we only seems to make him miserable and angry.

He has become a standing joke on FB etc.

If it is anything like the online supporter base he most likely has but will rountinely be ignored whilst he is endlessly misrepresented and mischaracterised. It’s acutally indicative of a lot of modern discourse- any threat to the prevailing groupthink and the resulting action is certainly almost always ad hominen. Such levels of narcissism at play is tiresome- the arrogance that some think they set the parameters of what constitutes a supporter is quite something.

No he isn’t above criticism certainly not that’s the nature of the beast but when it’s after one game (WBA)and he’s questioned you would think it was us that were being relegated not them! I’m looking at it from a fans view of twenty odd years this current Tottenham team,management etc is the best we’ve had in that period the most consistent and the most organised and it’s great being a Tottenham fan fucking brilliant compared to in the past and the shit we’ve had to put up with! we are now holding our own and that’s largely down to the manager and what HIS team have achieved long may it continue....he’ll make mistakes everyone does! If it was AVB or Gross then I could see where your coming from and anyone else who has a negative opinion on Tottenham managers but not Mauricio Pochettino!

And the usual selectivism and revisionism is at play because it wasn’t one game, it culminated from the performances stemming after the Chelsea game which continued beyond the West Brom match. There really has to come a time when this consistent referencing back to the ‘90s has to be cease. Christian Gross hasn’t been our manager for 20 years- there is a whole generation of supporters who weren’t even alive when he was manager. And we havent seen anything remotely close to those sides since the days of the Hoddle and that itself was 14 years ago. The reference point should be the here and now- the standard of team we possess relative to its peers. But few do this it’s either endless referencing of the past or constantly living in a glorious tomorrow.

Last edited:
If it is anything like the online supporter base he most likely has but will rountinely be ignored whilst he is endlessly misrepresented and mischaracterised. It’s acutally indicative of a lot of modern discourse- any threat to the prevailing groupthink and the resulting action is certainly almost always ad hominen. Such levels of narcissism at play is tiresome- the arrogance that some think they set the parameters of what constitutes a supporter is quite something.

What a pretentious load of bollocks.

Shit. It makes the forum hard to read.

I am spared SOME of your bollocks tho so it's not entirely unfit for purpose.

tenor.gif

And the usual selectivism and revisionism is at play because it wasn’t one game, it culminated from the performances stemming after the Chelsea game which continued beyond the West Brom match. There really has to come a time when this consistent referencing back to the ‘90s has to be cease. Christian Gross hasn’t been our manager for 20 years- there is a whole generation of supporters who weren’t even alive when he was manager. And we havent seen anything remotely close to those sides since the days of the Hoddle and that itself was 14 years ago. The reference point should be the here and now- the standard of team we possess relative to its peers. But few do this it’s either endless referencing of the past or constantly living in a glorious tomorrow.
Seriously!

What would it take to flush this gooner cunt rat down the drain once and for all?

Gross is our past as is AVB,Hoddle,Graham etc we can’t erase it we can try and forget about it but it happened so when people start meltdowns and overreactions to defeats or criticise Pochettino there is no justification in it if compared to the horrible times in our past and what it was like being a Tottenham fan and if YOU remember that times and you care about Tottenham Hotspur F.C. you should appreciate what we have now and be very,very great full of it.

Gross is our past as is AVB,Hoddle,Graham etc we can’t erase it we can try and forget about it but it happened so when people start meltdowns and overreactions to defeats or criticise Pochettino there is no justification in it if compared to the horrible times in our past and what it was like being a Tottenham fan and if YOU remember that times and you care about Tottenham Hotspur F.C. you should appreciate what we have now and be very,very great full of it.

Who said erase it? Clearly you are anchored to and let it define your expectation levels. It certainly explains the complete disconnect between the talent we possess and the low level expectations for that amongst a lot of supporters- if the starting basis is the ‘90s then it doesn’t take much to qualify success from that postion.

Who said erase it? Clearly you are anchored to and let it define your expectation levels. It certainly explains the complete disconnect between the talent we possess and the low level expectations for that amongst a lot of supporters- if the starting basis is the ‘90s then it doesn’t take much to qualify success from that postion.

Fuck being humble eh... We should be more like the dippers or, better still, Newcastle basing our expectations and demands off of 1 trophy about 60 years ago.

Fuck being humble eh... We should be more like the dippers or, better still, Newcastle basing our expectations and demands off of 1 trophy about 60 years ago.

We have one of the best teams in the league- why should we be modest about that exactly? It really is being presented as if we are somehow undeserving of this- ‘90s PTSD at play. Really bizzare mindeset.

Back
Top Bottom