Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's actually a lot better then I thought it was going to be...

Factor in Wembley and missing Alderweireld since Madrid at home - I'd dare suggest we've taken another (small) step forward this season. It won't necessarily show, though, without a true 'home' and with Man City being so dominant.
I reckon as a club we have made massive steps forward this season. The sheer magnitude of our attendances has shown the world we are a force that aint going away. WHL was fantastic but for years restricted the growth of one of the biggest names in world football. I have been known to criticise Levy in the past but securing Wembley for the whole season was a master stroke so full credit for that.
And, I know Im in a minority on here, but I love watching us play there. Love it

I reckon as a club we have made massive steps forward this season. The sheer magnitude of our attendances has shown the world we are a force that aint going away. WHL was fantastic but for years restricted the growth of one of the biggest names in world football. I have been known to criticise Levy in the past but securing Wembley for the whole season was a master stroke so full credit for that.
And, I know Im in a minority on here, but I love watching us play there. Love it
Disagree about Wembley (though it's way better when the attendances are higher such as on Saturday), but agree with the steps forward in general. Wembley was the only logical option, so don't want to consider it too inspired.
If nothing else, our improvement in the Champions League has been enormous.

I think we're operating under the radar like crazy right now. Liverpool have been better than last year, which in turn gets the broadcasters infatuated with them (as they know which side their bread is buttered and how many dippers fans there are subscribing to Sky and BT). Jose's circus is also keeping media attention on United while Wenger and Woolwich never fail to get column inches - especially when it's to take the piss.

We've had strong latter halves to the last couple of seasons. I pray we do the same again and kick on to secure a top 4 spot. Going to be hard though.

This season has also proved in my mind that we can cope when the odds are stacked against us now. We've had some long term injuries to multiple key players to start off the season and are still kicking on in the top 5 and are in contention for the top 3-4 spots. Doing so at Wembley and with an impressive run in the CL so far.

I feel like this is the season that is going to teach Pochettino how to be more flexible and pragmatic with his lineups. Something we will benefit from.

I can't see him going there now. It's a 2-3 year gig at most at Madrid before they sack the manager, and he seems like a guy who wants to play the long game, with two or more decades left of his career.

A comparison, if you look at the stats of the previous seasons at this time:

17/18 20-6-6 67-28 32 2,06

16/17 18-6-8 59-24 32 1,875

15/16 16-11-5 57-29 32 1,85

It simple shows progress!

*Cough, Cough* Just leaving this here for all of you demanding pace is what we are missing.

From Poch's latest Press Conference Pre-Southampton:

It was put to Pochettino that with the departure of Nkoudou and Edwards, there was a spot for a new, fast winger in the team, with Bordeaux winger Malcom linked in recent weeks, but the Tottenham boss was not in agreement that speed was the answer.

"Our football is playing football. It is not counter-attack. It is not transition," he said. "I think Usain Bolt is free. I think he is available. But his dream is to play at Manchester United. I feel sorry for him because he is a Manchester United fan. It is impossible to be faster than him!"

*Cough, Cough* Just leaving this here for all of you demanding pace is what we are missing.

It was put to Pochettino that with the departure of Nkoudou and Edwards, there was a spot for a new, fast winger in the team, with Bordeaux winger Malcom linked in recent weeks, but the Tottenham boss was not in agreement that speed was the answer.

"Our football is playing football. It is not counter-attack. It is not transition," he said. "I think Usain Bolt is free. I think he is available. But his dream is to play at Manchester United. I feel sorry for him because he is a Manchester United fan. It is impossible to be faster than him!"

Ooh, sassy Poch :pochsmirk:

stephen-colbert-sassy-gif_zpsfnkfbvde.gif~c200

I think there's more chance of me winning the lottery (and I don't play it) than of Poch leaving before we move into the new stadium.

The Real job is bullshit. A total thankless task. Unless you win everything every year you're out on your ear. Completely impatient and fickle fans who just want the biggest names in their prime regardless of how well they fit together as a team and drop them like a stone the moment their peak is over and hound them out of the club. It's toxic and I don't see it suiting Pochettino's managerial philosophy at all.

I've softened my view of Ronaldo in recent years as I think he might not actually be the total absolute prick he comes across as, and the fact that loads of their fans want him gone - despite what he's done for them - really speaks volumes.

Poch playing the press again, wouldn't surprise me if he brings in a pacey winger this month.

Sub today was in the 69th minute, so minor improvement on the usual 70th minute shtick.

However, wrong guy subbed off. Come on Poch.

I feel like I say this whenever we have one of these games, but worth repeating.

Games like this is when it shows that Pochettino is a Bielsa disciple. He has one style of play and it is supposed to work no matter the opposition, weather or other factors. It is just supposed to work. Even if we have to spend 90 minutes pushing square pegs into circular holes.

As great as he is as a manager he still has some growing to do.

Still love the guy, but he's not perfect.

You always comment on how many times people criticise Dele, but never say anything about Dele being poor
He was crap yesterday. Most of them were.

And as you pointed out to me, I’ll post what I want about what I want. Check out the guys last twenty posts and you’ll see why he deserves criticism. But again, he can post what he wants I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom