Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scenario 1 would be Timmy keep job and keep doing well, my second ideal would be Bergkamp take over at Ajax and we get De Boer still, I just hope the fact it was mid season that was the stumbling block this time, surely he will get bored of winning that title and fancy the bright lights of london, he played all over world at end of his career so he isnt a home boy

Scenario 1 would be Timmy keep job and keep doing well, my second ideal would be Bergkamp take over at Ajax and we get De Boer still, I just hope the fact it was mid season that was the stumbling block this time, surely he will get bored of winning that title and fancy the bright lights of london, he played all over world at end of his career so he isnt a home boy
Best scenario would be us playing well and winning something regardless of who the coach is, but that would be too easy wouldn't it? :avbshit:

I am backing Sherwood as he is our coach now, but i think the best long term option would be Van Gaal, the guy has bags of experience and is a proven winner, which is what we need right now.

I once read there are three types of coaches, "the aspirin coach, the penicillin coach, and the chemo coach. A chemo coach is what you need for a team with cancer. But after the chemo coach cures the cancer, and the team wins, what does he do? Delivers more chemo, because that's who is-- the guy with the chemo machine-- which in absence of cancer kills healthy tissue. You can build a team with a whip, but after they've won, you need to find another motivation. You got the right guys--let them do their thing. You don't even need discipline anymore because they're self-disciplined. But the chemo coach continues to be strong willed, determined, overbearing."

Sounds to me like Van Gaal is the archetype of dictatorial chemo coach. To be honest, I've long suspected that our teams were extremely lacking in discipline. I think we could go for a chemo coach here, a culture change could certainly help us. You said it yourself about Capello, "a hard as nails cunt" I think you described him as. I think we could use that.

Even better, Van Gaal said England would be his last stop before retirement. Maybe he would end up retiring before shit hit the fan and he wore out his welcome and effectiveness. Could work out perfectly for us.

Got nothing against it would love him here In An ideal world, my problem is levys ego. If van Gael comes here, he will need total control of everything including who comes in and out. He is a ferguson type individaul and if levy thinks he can bully him like the previous managers he will get humiliated. Either levy will have to do his bidding and work for van Gael and provide all needed support or van Gael will just leave. Either way levy will come out of it looking like a fool and we will be back to square one again. Shame really as van Gael would probably do a great job.

I once read there are three types of coaches, "the aspirin coach, the penicillin coach, and the chemo coach. A chemo coach is what you need for a team with cancer. But after the chemo coach cures the cancer, and the team wins, what does he do? Delivers more chemo, because that's who is-- the guy with the chemo machine-- which in absence of cancer kills healthy tissue. You can build a team with a whip, but after they've won, you need to find another motivation. You got the right guys--let them do their thing. You don't even need discipline anymore because they're self-disciplined. But the chemo coach continues to be strong willed, determined, overbearing."

Sounds to me like Van Gaal is the archetype of dictatorial chemo coach. To be honest, I've long suspected that our teams were extremely lacking in discipline. I think we could go for a chemo coach here, a culture change could certainly help us. You said it yourself about Capello, "a hard as nails cunt" I think you described him as. I think we could use that.

Even better, Van Gaal said England would be his last stop before retirement. Maybe he would end up retiring before shit hit the fan and he wore out his welcome and effectiveness. Could work out perfectly for us.

I understand the analogy and agree it probably rings true with certain coaches with a particular blueprint that they are uncomfortable changing but it's a tad simplistic imo. I believe the best coaches like a Van Gaal are adaptable and know what type of treatment to dish out and when. They'll get the disciplinarian tag because when they first come to a club they'll whip everyone into shape and expect total commitment. Really stern discipline is one of the main foundations to longevity and success on the pitch without it you have to many unpredictable factors. I'm worried Levys ego is to big to ever work successfully with a truely top notch coach who would not put up with any of his behind the scenes shite. I think Baldini and Van Gaal could work mainly because they're both continental so use to the system and both highly respected professionals. If we got Van Gaal in and kept Baldini the best thing Levy and the other cunts in the boardroom could do is shut the fuck up and let them do their thing.

Got nothing against it would love him here In An ideal world, my problem is levys ego. If van Gael comes here, he will need total control of everything including who comes in and out. He is a ferguson type individaul and if levy thinks he can bully him like the previous managers he will get humiliated. Either levy will have to do his bidding and work for van Gael and provide all needed support or van Gael will just leave. Either way levy will come out of it looking like a fool and we will be back to square one again. Shame really as van Gael would probably do a great job.

Working with Levy is always an issue of course. However, the thought of a manager coming in and saying to the players, "I'm the fucking boss and if you don't like it take a walk" is a tantalizing prospect for me. We need some of that. Everyone at the club needs to start being held accountable.

I think Sherwood is doing a bit of the take a hike stuff now which is good but with someone with a reputation like Van Gaal it holds more weight.

Overall, I hope Tim keeps the job because that will mean we did something special this season. But if it's not him LVG would be my first call.

Uhhhh..... what?

So now we want a manager who is getting results to be replaced by another manager despite the fact that AVB, the manager that wasn't getting results was defended to the death when the sacking happened?

The people that are vying for Pochettino now were probably also part of the group calling Levy the antichrist for sacking AVB because "he didn't have enough time" and "it was a kneejerk".

:paulinhofacepalm:

Last edited:
I can't understand the mentality of Spurs at the moment. Stability was called for and at the moment we have it.
Results were eluding us but now we are climbing the table. We didn't want another transitional period and we are debating a second change in 6 weeks.
Unfortunately TS, for me has a dilemma. If we finish top 4, ( managers will want to come to us) if say Mr Gaal became available we would want him to lead us on Europe. If we finish say 5 or 6, then TS may keep his job.

Southampton fans cannot wait to get shot of him. They actually want to gift wrap, and give him to us. Ominous. Look at their form in the league, its shit.

If it aint broken, dont try and fix it. Im happy with the way it is going.

Capoue hasn't impressed me once this season so I really, really couldnt care less if he went.
The last teams Southampton lost to:

Chelsea, Everton, Tottenham, Aston villa, Chelsea, Woolwich.

Only one of those teams should they really be disappointed in losing to (and I'm not talking about us, haha) the rest would be expected to win..

I can't see us, the entire club, treading water over the next few years. I can see us either falling or rising. We have so many young players and if they develop properly we will clearly above Liverpool, Woolwich, United. If the young players do not develop properly we will fall, probably mid-table, imo. I'm not convinced with Sherwood. He has impressed me with him recognizing that Adebayor and Soldado are two of our better players and playing them together would work better. He has impressed me with his recognition of the youth. I don't think, but honestly i'm not certain at all, that he can lead us above where we are now. I'm not convinced Van Gaal can do our youth justice and see them develop properly. I want de Boer. He plays the system our team is built to play, 4-3-3. He has proved he can develop young players. He can take over what AVB started.

Good article on him - http://afootballreport.com/post/22661498743/frank-de-boers-vision-the-whole-is-greater-than-the

Tim until the end of the season, then see how Prandelli gets on at the world cup. How he has transformed a very negative and average Italian team into contenders is quite startling.

They play attractive football, reached euro 2012 final, lost only on pens to Spain at the Con Fed cup and has stated he will leave after the WC.

With seedorf now at Milan, juve and Roma's managers fixed, he may be tempted by Spurs.

Regarding Pochettino he has made Southampton the best of what is a terrible bottom half of the PL and spent quite a bit of cash in the process. Needs to do more.

Pochettino NO thank you!!!!
Has had a fortunate start in the PL, The PL is no mug. Other managers are in the game to suss you out. His been sussed.
Credit due: (He has had Southampton playing well and has had injuries).

AVB moved things around trying to confuse, at the end he confused himself (lost the plot).

TS has the mentallity, here's my team, beats us if you can attitude, for me all great teams are made of this.

Disclaimer, some tactical importance is needed from time to time.

Prandelli gets on at the world cup. How he has transformed a very negative and average Italian team into contenders is quite startling.

They play attractive football, reached euro 2012 final, lost only on pens to Spain at the Con Fed cup and has stated he will leave after the WC.

Its the Italian players that compliments an Italian manager? on and off the pitch.

How many England teams would walk around 13 miles to church in the early hours of the morning.?

As someone has already said and I feel inclined to agree with them it would be a young inexperienced manager for us to appoint once more as we did with AVB. It failed once and I for one wouldn't like to see it happen again. Don't get me wrong we could have jumped the gun a little in getting rid of the sexy meerkat but the way some results had gone and the way he was acting it looked as though even he had had enough. For me too risky. :avbmad:

Back
Top Bottom