Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, I do remember, what's your point?

Is getting into the top 4 enough for you?

Is getting to a final enough for you?

It's not enough for me. Bring back Burkinshaw...

For me: it's enough of a start. It could and should lead to better things and no I wouldn't be happy in 12 years or so to still be achieving that...unlike those ingrates at Woolwich
But it'll do...for now

Some of our fans are embarrassing.

As fans, we expect loyalty from players and managers. Whether its Poch, Kane or anyone else who has had serious interest from other clubs, we have got a certain amount of loyalty from the people that matter in recent times.

But in return, we should be able to return the loyalty when things start to go a little sour. Kane has enough credit in the bank to have a bad run and still be given time and patience. Given that Poch has taken the rabble he received 5 years ago and taken us to a new level - he also deserves some sort of loyalty from fans. He deserves time, at least until the end of the season, to sort out our current plight.

The fickle, knee-jerk, emotional teenage fans that are calling for Poch's head are probably the ones that cry loudest about disloyal, plastic, money-grabbing players like Judas but behave in a similar way but from a different context. Like I said, it's embarrassing.

I’m calling for his head and I’m not fickle, emotional, knee jerk or a teenager
Trust me

People forget Jol finished just 1pt behind Woolwich and if it wasn’t for having a ball 1m over the line disallowed at Old Trafford, we’d have rightly finished above them in the CL spots.

Aunty bollocks yeah yeah yeah.

Point being, Poch hasn’t exactly taken us next level because he’s won nothing and not so t much more in the league than Redknapp did, or Jol would have if there was VAR in 2006
You mean goal line technology not VAR?

Uh what? We weren't 16th when Pochettino took charge - we were top 4 challengers with a very strong team. This revisionism has to stop - we weren't some mid or lower table team akin to Bournemouth before the Poch era, we were a consistent EL/CL team under AVB as well as Redknapp and yes, he improved us, but that doesn't mean he can't also make us worse. 10 months of piss poor, relegation form is unacceptable - especially after our summer spree which means we can no longer use the 'but but spending' excuse.

"Very strong team" - now THAT is revisionist history. We'd finished behind Everton (Yes Everton), nowhere near top 4 in terms of points and had a team full of bad apples and bad attitudes - the likes of Kaboul, Adebayor, Capoue etc. The likes of Eriksen, Dembele, Walker, Rose were playing nowhere the level that Poch eventually took them to either.

Btw claiming that I suggested that we akin to Bournemouth is a strawman argument. I didn't make that claim. I said Poch took us to a new level and I can easily explain how.

You said we were a consistent EL/CL team under AVB as well as Redknapp. Please remove the "CL" from that sentence. Getting into the Champions League once doesn't make you a consistent CL team - more revisionist history from you. We were an EL team and a bang average one at that - we never threatened to even come close to winning it.

Poch has taken that bunch of players - some poor, some potentially good but not playing at their best - and as a club ACTUALLY made us a consistent CL team. Previously, we were intruders in the competition - now we are mainstays. Not only that, he also actually made us contenders for a major trophy in the first time in our Premier League history. And he has done that without a massive net spend - he took time to work on existing players and actually try to use the academy. To deny that massive effect that Poch has had on this club is to live in denial.

So considering he has actually done that for us, the least we owe him is a bit of loyalty to see this season through at the very least and get us back on track.

Last edited:
Considering where we came from then I think regular tip 4 and champions league is progress...Am not content with stagnating there but yes as a start I think it's acceptable.

Instead of some Spurs fans equating everything we do to the 90s as if that era is synonymous with the club, they should start to compare the 80s, early 70s and 60s and then ask themselves if losing finals is still an achievement.

What a load of bollocks.

tenor.gif

You’re only willing to give him to the end of the season?

Just how fickle, overly entitled, short memoried supporter are you.

Poch deserves more than that - inpatient supporters like you make me sick

Learn the meaning of the phrase "at least".

Also, had I given a longer time frame - say 2 seasons - some of you more emotionally fragile characters might have started self-harming.

Instead of some Spurs fans equating everything we do to the 90s as if that era is synonymous with the club, they should start to compare the 80s, early 70s and 60s and then ask themselves if losing finals is still an achievement.

Can you elaborate for me...I'm not sure of the point you're making tbh.

Learn the meaning of the phrase "at least".

Also, had I given a longer time frame - say 2 seasons - some of you more emotionally fragile characters might have started self-harming.

There shouldn’t be any at least - you have no right to set any parameters, true supporters don’t do that . Poch should leave when HE wants to leave NOT when fickle rubbish fans like you say. I constantly live in the ‘90s so I remember what it was like before him and if we are not careful we could lose him and then have Alan Sugar and Gerry Francis back. To be honest fickle ungrateful fans like you deserve that.

Can you elaborate for me...I'm not sure of the point you're making tbh.

I’m tired of hearing “where we came from”
As if everything pre Poch was shit.

Where we came from was pre Poch was
6th
5th,
4th,
5th and CL quarters
4th
8th Lost CC Final
11th won CC
5th
5th

Poch has gotten us: (might be off with some cup years)
5th lost CC final
3rd (in a two horse race)
2nd lost FA semi
3rd lost FA semi
4th lost CC semi/lost CL final

But this is next level because of the 90s?
Look to the 80s and it’s just failure though.

Last edited:

6th
5th,
4th,
5th and CL quarters
4th
8th Lost CC Final
11th won CC
5th
5th

5th lost CC final
2nd lost FA semi
3rd lost FA semi
4th lost CC semi/lost CL semi

Football didn’t exist before 92 and Sky.

6th
5th,
4th,
5th and CL quarters
4th
8th Lost CC Final
11th won CC
5th
5th

5th lost CC final
2nd lost FA semi
3rd lost FA semi
4th lost CC semi/lost CL semi

We were so bad pre poch. I am so glad he came in and saved us from by the looks of it was definitely going to end up in relegation without him

People forget Jol finished just 1pt behind Woolwich and if it wasn’t for having a ball 1m over the line disallowed at Old Trafford, we’d have rightly finished above them in the CL spots.

Aunty bollocks yeah yeah yeah.

Point being, Poch hasn’t exactly taken us next level because he’s won nothing and not done that much more in the league than Redknapp did, or Jol would have if there was VAR in 2006
I still believe the football played under Rednapp at its peak was far more entertaining than its ever been with the current manager.

That being said, he should not be sacked. The club is already known as a bit of a managerial merry go round as it is. Thinking long term, swapping managers now is like putting flour in a lumpy cake mix.

Because we have/had players like Kane, Son, Eriksen, Dembele, Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Lloris, Alderwield, Ali which is arguably the strongest group of players we have had since the 60s.
So more or less the same group of players that did fuck all with Sherwood and avb. Probably on a par with the squad redknapp had and probably on a par or worse than pleat had in 86/7 maybe the same or slightly better than venables squads 88-90. In every case there have been at least 2 or 3 better sides than us - unless you think we underperformed in those seasons too in which case has poch been up until this season actually been doing a decent job?
Are you saying son, Alli and alderweireld elevated this squad to world class and title winners?
I think your expectations are a bit off. We've rarely been in a title hunt (maybe at a push 4 times in my supporting life of 1986 onwards), nor had a squad that has been at the level to win a title unless you consider the coached and set up sides of pochettino that type of side.

Dear oh dear

You wasn’t there

There’s credible lifelong season ticket holders who agree with me.

And Alex Ferguson knows his stuff:
“Tottenham at the moment are the best team in the country. Their form at the moment is the best anywhere and they are definitely title contenders.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom