Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Excellent press conference:

Every word Poch said on Levy, the fans & why he's the man to take Spurs forward

People should now stop second guessing Poch and actually listen (or read) what he said ..... here's my favourite answer

What is the biggest problem that you face?

Different circumstances that happen in the team. We need to work. I think when you assess, because that is our responsibility, in offensive situations, in possession percentages, I think we are better than last season. But after it's about when you don't have the ball, I think we need to be more consistent [here]. Because that is the problem – collectively we need to press better. We need to more tough out of possession. It's true that we improve our percentage in possession, that we dominate more than last season.

I was talking with some players … it's like when you go with your friends to play 4v4 or 5v5. No-one wants to go in goal. So you say, come on, every five minutes we are going to rotate. You want to play with the ball. You don't want to be chasing people, and running in behind. And maybe we lose this balance. We want the ball, more than before; we dominate the games more; we create maybe more chances; we shoot more but there is another part of the game – when you don't have the ball, to be all together, to be on the same page, the will to recover the ball. I think we drop a little bit in this collectively.

It affects the [whole] picture. Because when the opponents scores the goal, always it's going to appear the keeper and then the centre-backs and the full-backs, and the holding midfield but I think we drop a little bit in this. And that is not talking about talent or positional game. That is about the will to recover this aggressivity(sic) all together to be in the same page and enjoy the same when you have the ball and when you don't have the ball. That is, for me, the key point that we need to fix. That is the problem on the team. Because leading the games how we have been leading and then you lose the game, it's because we need to be more ruthless, more strong, more tough, more aggressive. Because if you are losing the game, you are going to go forward and you need to keep your composure.

People should now stop second guessing Poch and actually listen (or read) what he said ..... here's my favourite answer

Different circumstances that happen in the team. We need to work. I think when you assess, because that is our responsibility, in offensive situations, in possession percentages, I think we are better than last season. But after it's about when you don't have the ball, I think we need to be more consistent [here]. Because that is the problem – collectively we need to press better. We need to more tough out of possession. It's true that we improve our percentage in possession, that we dominate more than last season.

I was talking with some players … it's like when you go with your friends to play 4v4 or 5v5. No-one wants to go in goal. So you say, come on, every five minutes we are going to rotate. You want to play with the ball. You don't want to be chasing people, and running in behind. And maybe we lose this balance. We want the ball, more than before; we dominate the games more; we create maybe more chances; we shoot more but there is another part of the game – when you don't have the ball, to be all together, to be on the same page, the will to recover the ball. I think we drop a little bit in this collectively.

It affects the [whole] picture. Because when the opponents scores the goal, always it's going to appear the keeper and then the centre-backs and the full-backs, and the holding midfield but I think we drop a little bit in this. And that is not talking about talent or positional game. That is about the will to recover this aggressivity(sic) all together to be in the same page and enjoy the same when you have the ball and when you don't have the ball. That is, for me, the key point that we need to fix. That is the problem on the team. Because leading the games how we have been leading and then you lose the game, it's because we need to be more ruthless, more strong, more tough, more aggressive. Because if you are losing the game, you are going to go forward and you need to keep your composure.
Yep, very impressive, positive interview. He's certainly 'talked the talk' now let's see how many points we get Saturday and the performance against Bayern. That's what really matters, out on the pitch.

If only football clubs had people they paid 8m a year to ensure that players are on the same page and understand that they should play without the ball as well as with it.

Talk<walk (otherwise known as Roberto Martinez syndrome)

If he wants intensity, he could start by not picking dopey donkeys every week.

If only football clubs had people they paid 8m a year to ensure that players are on the same page and understand that they should play without the ball as well as with it.

Talk<walk (otherwise known as Roberto Martinez syndrome)

If he wants intensity, he could start by not picking dopey donkeys every week.

Why are you even here? you just can't stop hating on players, the club, and now the manager ... why?

Why are you even here? you just can't stop hating on players, the club, and now the manager ... why?

Why are you on here when you never offer an opinion related to football and instead just constantly berate other posters for having an opinion and misrepresent their opinions as "hate" or "being shit supporters" or you know, telling people to "die" because you dislike their opinion on football?

It speaks VOLUMES about you as a person that you see every opinion opposite to yours as a massive insult or as some sort of hateful rhetoric when actually, you are the only one indulging in hateful rhetoric here.

Like how can you honestly sit here and talk about people "hating" on our players and manager with a straight face when just the other day you told me to "go and die" because I suggested that if things haven't improved by Christmas that we need to change our manager.

Who's the one spreading hate here? The people who have an opinion on football that you disagree with or the people who are needlessly attacking other posters threatening violence like tough guy internet keyboard warriors and saying that they should die?

I will let you figure that one out.

By the way, having an opinion on our club and what a person thinks is best for it isn't "hating" I said this the other day, it doesn't matter if you want Poch in or out or a player in or out, everyone has their view of what makes the club "better" and they speak from a place of passion for the club and that's a good thing.

It starts turning bad when this dick swinging competition about being the better supporter starts and berating other supporters for having opinions because you think your opinion is infallible and view yourself as the superior supporter.

Training method discontent rumours have bee around for years.

Maybe some truth to it
Fact is that the majority of human beings don't like being drilled in what to do. That's the issue with a stale squad that no matter how talented will always baulk at doing repetitive tasks over and over. Change the methods or change the personnel. Likely that its the latter.

Fact is that the majority of human beings don't like being drilled in what to do. That's the issue with a stale squad that no matter how talented will always baulk at doing repetitive tasks over and over. Change the methods or change the personnel. Likely that its the latter.

Like with any job, sometimes things become stale and then productivity drops, like you say, you have to freshen things up and change your perspective as a manager to remain successful over the longer term.

That's what really matters, out on the pitch
And surely this is the point. This isn't a blip is it and we can't change the personnel overnight. Not even in January, which is why I agree with you that the next 3 winnable games will be defining because this squad of players are either working hard for results or they are not.

Like with any job, sometimes things become stale and then productivity drops, like you say, you have to freshen things up and change your perspective as a manager to remain successful over the longer term.
And if Poch is unable to change his methods (while retaining the "Philosophy") with a squad that are bored of it does that make him a one trick pony? Or does he rule by fear like in the Armed Forces? I don't see either and while I'm still #In it's a worry.

This thread is a wankfest for the negatively minded .... enjoy your doom and gloom

Why not start a thread "Come here to moan about players, management, club" at least then you could keep all the negativity in one place .... go on please try it

This thread is a wankfest for the negatively minded .... enjoy your doom and gloom

Why not start a thread "Come here to moan about players, management, club" at least then you could keep all the negativity in one place .... go on please try it
I don't think that anybody in either camp is enjoying themselves at the moment and for the record I'm not currently touching myself. That might change.

Training method discontent rumours have bee around for years.

Maybe some truth to it

You get the exact same story around every big club that is losing matches, I would just ignore that.

Anyway Poch said all the right things in his press conference yesterday, clearly he sees all the same problems that we do. Now let's see if he can get a reaction from the players.

Here's an idea, why don't you go and start a forum and only invite people that agree with you and your opinions, that way you can sit in your safe space and comfort bubble and never hear anything you dislike ever again and leave the real adults to have discussions where they can disagree without insulting each other or taking it personally like an over emotional man child?

The only person bringing negativity here is you because all you keep doing is insulting other posters, you have literally no other position than "because I disagree with you, you're a melt/negative/shit supporter/wum/woolwich/cunt."

It's boring and you just look like a troll to everyone here because you can't engage in mature discussion.

But by all means, continue on if you must.

Here's an idea, why don't you go and start a forum and only invite people that agree with you and your opinions, that way you can sit in your safe space and comfort bubble and never hear anything you dislike ever again and leave the real adults to have discussions where they can disagree without insulting each other or taking it personally like an over emotional man child?
Like a Spurs forum or a Spurs face book page for supportive fans .... who would have thought of that? Why not start your own "we all hate everything Spurs forum" after all that's all you and the other 'adults' ever post ....

I don't think that anybody in either camp is enjoying themselves at the moment and for the record I'm not currently touching myself. That might change.

That's where you're wrong mate, the people who are upset about our form are LOVING it, why wouldn't they love seeing our club regressing?

Iq mean, I know I only speak for myself here but personally, I have followed this club 30+ years and some of my favourite moments have been when we were utterly shit, I can't wait to celebrate mediocrity again, everytime we lose a game a smile beams across my face because secretly I am addicted to enjoying watching us fail and it makes me happy seeing us fail, I know that makes no logical sense whatever but it's the truth and posters like BangkokSpud BangkokSpud are never wrong, he is bang on the money about everything because he thinks he is.

It has nothing whatever to do with the fact that I love my club and want it to be successful, nothing at all.

It has nothing whatever to do with the fact that I love my club and want it to be successful, nothing at all.

Since when in life has whining like a little girl ever made anything better? after about the age of ten you grow up and realise that being positive is far more effective that being negative, at least most people do ...

We have a better stadium, better finance, better squad, more experienced backroom staff than we've probably ever had in our entire history ... sure we've had a few shit results ... but at least try to see the bigger picture. I've been around since the 60's and can say 100% that as a club we've never been as competitive with the big teams as we are today ... six games in and you're all doom and gloom, what will that achieve?

Poch (paraphrasing): "The fans are never wrong.... Their opinion means everything".

Right there is a key difference between him and AVB (see recent disparaging comparisons)... AVB (and Harry to a lesser extent) turned on us when things got tough.

Also notable:

According to him, his mention of agendas was actually alluding to on and off the ball focus in-game (so not a dig at the likes of Eriksen afterall)....

#PochIn like a muthafucker! :adestare:

Back
Top Bottom