Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I couldn't help but wonder if we are going to see Poch start experimenting with the starters and overall lineups. Some players just don't look up to it and I would frankly prefer a less experienced and more fringe player if they are going to give their all instead of flogging the same players if they aren't going to follow the system and play at the level required of them.

I guess that is half our problem. Poch keeps tinkering with things and the players have to get used to playing with a different set of players every week. On the weekend Serge was a menace on the wing and today so was Davinson but for different reasons.

The rock and a hard place that we find ourselves in is that we missed our opportunities to win things with the core team (CL Final, League a couple times) and now we are getting older and possibly stale.

Poch could find the hunger and desire in youth prospects (Skipp, Tanganga, Roles, Parrot) but after five years the supporter base have forgotten the dark days and demand success. Rightly so, too. We can beat anybody on our day so why do we struggle against shit teams so often? Why do we not have a starting 11 (excluding injuries)?

It is a tricky situation and Poch is paid handsomely to sort it out. I'm really hoping he does. Especially whilst we have such world class players and Sissoko :D

He totally underestimated the opponent last night. Played Sanchez and Davies like we are playing Bolton Wanderers. Benches the player who scored a brace and had a hand in 2 other goals during the weekend. Keeps on a player who wants out for 90+5 minutes.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Results wise, we’ve really only had one bad results. While disappointing, the Olym game wasn’t a bad result. Remember Inter last year? We’ve also had 2 of our hardest 3 games this season already in the League.

The intensity is lacking and the build up is very slow. I can say that the only players I’ve seen intensity from (midfield up) is Winks, nDombele, Sissoko, Son, Lamela, and Kane. I think that should be our starting line up for Leicester.

Poch needs to be careful with what he says on TV. Some of the things he’s coming out with are just foolish. I think the pressure is getting to him a little bit. We’ve got some very winnable games coming up before Liverpool. I think once the team starts winning and we start stringing together some results, that intensity is going to naturally come back as the team gets more competitive

He totally underestimated the opponent last night. Played Sanchez and Davies like we are playing Bolton Wanderers. Benches the player who scored a brace and had a hand in 2 other goals during the weekend. Keeps on a player who wants out for 90+5 minutes.

Have to agree with this.

I am a massive fan of Poch, but I have to say his comments this season thus far are becoming self fulfilling. From the days before / after the transfer window, his vague talking down of expectations, to now admitting publicly that the game plan wasn't "respected".

Drawing with the scum and drawing with Olympiacos isn't the issue. Its the fact that in both cases we gave away 2 goal leads.

I hope we can turn it around, and I think we will, but his demeanor is baffling...

Every manager gets to a point when they either get weary of the role or recognise players are weary or sceptical of them.

We are nearing that point because the one thing Pochettino lacks now more than anything is consistency or the look of contentment and it's been that way for too long.

This is THE SEASON where he either oversees a trophy win or he leaves.

I gotta go to defense for Ben a bit. His selection was not the problem here. Ben has played against much more dangerous attackers and done well and Rose likely needed a rest so playing him made sense. And he did just fine.

Playing Davinson out of position however does no one any favors. Not Poch's tactical reputation, not our view of Davinson and certainly not Big Dav's self esteem.

And I agree that Poch underestimated his opponent and his seeming lack of tactical flexibility ended up on display again.

as I said you're just being miserable - 3rd in the EPL an away point in the CL ... feck it's a total disaster !!!!!!
"Tuesday, we party. Finish the transfer window after tomorrow, I think Tuesday we are going to make a big party and celebrate.
"Because I think it was my worst period after five years in Tottenham."

Poch must be a gooner troll, because we got to the CL Final so everything is brilliant

Harry Kane says Tottenham have not learned from their mistakes after they threw away a 2-0 lead against Olympiakos in the Champions League.

Despite leading through Kane's penalty and Lucas Moura's emphatic finish, last season's beaten finalists were held to a 2-2 draw in Greece.

"You can see why the manager is frustrated," said England forward Kane.

"He has been here for five years now and we are still making similar mistakes as we were the first year."

Tottenham also conceded a 2-0 lead in the north London derby at Woolwich on 1 September, and Kane said the team had to improve.

"We are not young any more, we are not inexperienced, we have played in big games for club and country," he added.

"We have to try to find a way to get around it and improve and get better. That is all we can try to do."

Nail on the head from Harry. It feels like 2013/14 all over again tbh.

It's also a bit of a go at Pochettino I think if you read between the lines.

The character of the players he has brought in. Are they of the necessary mentality, because for us, it's mostly mentality and not talent.

Look at Klopp. He bought Mane, he bought Van Dijk, he bought Allison, he bought Salah. Not at small cost of course but with good, strong minds, to assist those already there.

You think of Son as the only player Pochettino has bought so far who has stepped up and added real value. Davinson 2 seasons ago but not as much since.

It's not a stick to beat Pochettino with but a concern that for all his obvious warmth for the club that he neither possesses the character or the ability to see the character that is required.

Saturday's team (Leicester) and performance will be the latest test of where he and the squad are at, not so much in terms of talent but togetherness

The one BIG rider to this is that I am sure it will take a few months for the 3 new additions to bed in and then start to give real ad valorem, and maybe Pochettino is also waiting for them to make that small but big difference.

It's high risk.

I’m going to go back to 2015-2016. First 3 league games. 2 points won.

First home game of the season. 2-0 up at half time. Drew 2-2.
Next game. Away. Go 1-0 up 10 mins left. Concede 90 seconds later. Finished 1-1.

Arguably 5 points dropped that could have won us the league.

Have lessons been learnt in those 4 years?

I think Harry has a point. The players and manager have to take responsibility here.

Lloris, vertonghen, alderweireld, Davies, dier, eriksen, Kane, Lamela, Alli the 9 survivors who played in those 2 games.

4 years on........ 3 of those players are out of contract this season.

And then Lamela. Failing to reach his potential. Alli. Failing to reach his potential. Dier. Failing to reach his potential.......

I also wonder how many current City and Liverpool players played a part in the opening games of 2015/2016?
Have any of them said to all they want to move on now, because they are basically a bit bored and want a change.

So Is it a mentality issue? The players themselves??
Or do we just need fresh blood with a better mentality.

And as fans / supporters can we question/discuss this or not - on what is an open forum?
I personally think we can rather then just bury our heads in the sand.

Would be absolutely depressing if we got to the end of the Poch era with zero silverware.

Hard to see us peaking further than we have without getting bought out and becoming an Emirati’s play thing

I think Poch is digging a hole for himself and making it bigger and bigger by the day. He needs to get out of his current funk.

1. Never play Sanchez at right back again.
2. Sort out that defence. Easier said than done, but I think there are some glaring problems in that Sanchez and Toby can't play together. Toby's inability to hold a line and defend going backward is in total opposition to Dav and Jan's meet danger at the line. Also perhaps we're missing what Poch sees with Jan and why there has been no contract offer. Jan looks like he walked out of the Amsterdam Arena with a huge paper bag of brownies that he has been munching on ever since. Something needs sorted there URGENTLY.
3. His ability to deviate from what has served him well down the years. Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Jan and Toby are shadows of their former selves. Alternatives need tried and implemented.
4. His attacking instincts seem to have disappeared. Press us and we turn into the most nervous defensive team going. Or press has gone. Why?

So many other things that I could go on all day. But I'll simplify it into one question.

Why did Poch come out with a working platform and then drop it? Was it to accommodate some of his regulars as injuries, age and drops of form kicked in?

Poch is playing a dangerous game with that sort of admission in public.

His principle job is to get the players motivated. If they’re not motivated, he needs to explain why.

Poch is playing a dangerous game with that sort of admission in public.

His principle job is to get the players motivated. If they’re not motivated, he needs to explain why.
Looking back at the first goal last night, you can question positioning, decision making etc. fair enough. But I question the effort that Ndombele, Davies, Vertonghen and Alderweireld all made. It was lazy at best and completely disinterested at worst. Four players who seemed to go through the motions like they believed they were all too good for anything Olympiakos could throw at them.

How is the manager letting them get away with that?

Back
Top Bottom