Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the FA Cup semi defeat to Man Utd he played Vorm in goal ahead of Hugo. Simply on the basis he'd been our cup keeper up until that point.
It cost us the game. And on the back of 7 successive SF defeats, it was a shocking decision. One of the few times I've openly criticised Poch.
I felt more upset by that defeat than the CL final loss for some reason.
That's true but other teams do that as well. Play the back up/cup keeper.

Although the other top six still somehow manage to win them. Thats what the debate is about really
It is, which leads to the question why do the other top 6 manage to win them. To say that it's because Poch doesn't want to win them or that he doesn't take them seriously is a lazy answer.
Poch treats the cups the same as any other top 6 manager, maybe he his more vocal about it, which could be a failing.
I personally think it's not down to attitude (players want to win) or ability, we have/have had a good squad but maybe not enough depth of quality and also it does come down to a bit of luck.

I’m not talking about over a season,I’m talking about calling one in game sub or one line up that could do better in a one off game

But the same can’t be said for trying to negotiate the Ndombele deal, or getting Eriksen to sign now could it

You only need to look at the trf thread to see how many fuckers would absolutely wreck the club if let loose on the finances.

That's not strictly true. He has said that they aren't his top priority but he would still like to win them.
The same as the other managers of the top six.

Again, the same as any other manager, he plays weakened teams against weaker opposition and in the semis etc he plays the strongest team possible. How does this show that he doesn't care/want to win them.

Indeed... What about all those mid table teams/managers that throw the cups early just to protect their mid-table status....?

That would drive me fucking mad if we literally had nothing else to play for every year.

Trouble is, and this is what Woolwich supporters came to understand, is that it's a treadmill to nowhere.

Which is not to say that we should just give up on the league. But we ARE basically giving up on the three other competitions we can win, in exchange for a negligibly higher chance of having a miracle befall us in the two where we have no path to financial parity.

To finish the job in the cups we need to maintain balance and depth in the squad, get the tactics right, and hold our nerve on the big occasions. To be a 100 point club we need a literal billion-pound overhaul of the squad. We might have three guys that are good enough for that level and the manager might not be one of them.

None of this is fair and none of this is healthy for the game, but it's the reality.

For me trophies are the end game. This isn’t a Woolwich imitation. We’re shouldn’t be aiming to just finish 4th.

The aim should always be to win the league, and if not then at least show that you are building towards it. By challenging for the league every season, you get the CL by default.

The CL comes 2nd and this is exactly the same principle as the league. Aim to win it and show you can seriously contend.

Fact is the league and CL bring in the most money and with that revenue and high profile we can attract better and better players, which then means we can actually build the kind of squad that can compete seriously for both domestic cups without it hindering their league performances.

Poch has normally “gone for it” in a cup competition outside of the league every year

14-15: League cup
15-16: Europa League
16-17: Fa cup
17-18: Fa cup
18-19:League cup

We’ve just never had that serious squad depth to compete on multiple fronts... the question is how do we go about increasing that squad depth?

Yes, maybe. But after so long without a trophy, and 7 successive semi final losses we have more reason than them not to do so. Our supporters deserve better.

How can we have "7 successive semi final losses" when we've reached 2 finals in recent years (inc. CL)?

John-onomics. :thumbup:

It is, which leads to the question why do the other top 6 manage to win them. To say that it's because Poch doesn't want to win them or that he doesn't take them seriously is a lazy answer.
Poch treats the cups the same as any other top 6 manager, maybe he his more vocal about it, which could be a failing.
I personally think it's not down to attitude (players want to win) or ability, we have/have had a good squad but maybe not enough depth of quality and also it does come down to a bit of luck.
We've had luck since we last won a trophy in 2008. We can't use that excuse all the time.

For me trophies are the end game. This isn’t a Woolwich imitation. We’re shouldn’t be aiming to just finish 4th.

The aim should always be to win the league, and if not then at least show that you are building towards it. By challenging for the league every season, you get the CL by default.

The CL comes 2nd and this is exactly the same principle as the league. Aim to win it and show you can seriously contend.

Fact is the league and CL bring in the most money and with that revenue and high profile we can attract better and better players, which then means we can actually build the kind of squad that can compete seriously for both domestic cups without it hindering their league performances.

Poch has normally “gone for it” in a cup competition outside of the league every year

14-15: League cup
15-16: Europa League
16-17: Fa cup
17-18: Fa cup
18-19:League cup

We’ve just never had that serious squad depth to compete on multiple fronts... the question is how do we go about increasing that squad depth?

More income to channel into trf fees & wages.....

i.e.
New stadium.
Regular CL qualification.

Despite the constant criticism of how the club's been run over the last decade, we're on the right track.

Last edited:
You only need to look at the trf thread to see how many fuckers would absolutely wreck the club if let loose on the finances.

What was that funny name you called yourself on that fighting thingy forum, again?

article-2381756-1B13D5F3000005DC-202_634x380.jpg

Airfixx

2_Joe-Lewis-And-Daniel-Levy.jpg

We’re a profit making club!!! Levys in it for the money. For a guy thats all about saving the pennies he sure gives himself a healthy salary doesnt he. Wouldnt suprise me if they go for a club like aston villa next. Good history, in dire need of restoration, breaking through back onto the PL scene. Profit to be earned, money to be made KER-CHING! Back of the net. Money money money money money money money 🤑🤑🤑🤑

A 5 pound note gets levy rock hard.

We’re a profit making club!!! Levys in it for the money. For a guy thats all about saving the pennies he sure gives himself a healthy salary doesnt he. Wouldnt suprise me if they go for a club like aston villa next. Good history, in dire need of restoration, breaking through back onto the PL scene. Profit to be earned, money to be made KER-CHING! Back of the net. Money money money money money money money 🤑🤑🤑🤑

A 5 pound note gets levy rock hard.

Damn good wage for a damn good chairman... Much like we pay a damn good wage to our damn good manager. :)

Damn good wage for a damn good chairman... Much like we pay a damn good wage to our damn good manager. :)

Yeah, top geezer. Firm but fair. Reckon he’d give me a decent wage too. £10.50 an hour to clean the toilets. decent rota, hours not too long, get to see a player now and again, discount burger after match days. Decent number.

Damn good wage for a damn good chairman...
Considering he's the first chairman since world war 2 to oversee a full decade without a single major honour I assume you set your standards pretty low then.

Edit: thank God people like you ain't in charge of the club coffers

Back
Top Bottom