Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy is responsible for the things he’s responsible for.

He’s not responsible for the diamond. He hasn’t benched Jan. His training session didn’t injure Ndombele. He didn’t rush Kane back.

We have the best team and manager since the 80s I heard. Levy bought them all, the manager included.
But it’s Levys fault we can’t turn up in a final?

Oh no, losing finals is ok now I forgot.
I don't disagree with any of that.
I disagree with your earlier assertion that the fans who are happy with regular top 4 in place of domestic trophies are the same fans who want Levy's head. They're not.

They're the fans who keep telling us to remember the 90s and we've never had it so good because of Levy.

The fans who are happy to just finish top 4 are not after Levy's head as you suggested

I don't disagree with any of that.
I disagree with your earlier assertion that the fans who are happy with regular top 4 in place of domestic trophies are the same fans who want Levy's head. They're not.

They're the fans who keep telling us to remember the 90s and we've never had it so good because of Levy.

The fans who are happy to just finish top 4 are not after Levy's head as you suggested

I think there is a direct correlation between fans that will never say a bad word against Poch, and those who want Levys head every window.

Namely for “not backing the manager” with big spending and “neglecting” the team, and only buying yachts

I think there is a direct correlation between fans that will never say a bad word against Poch, and those who want Levys head every window.

THAT'S true.

I think the inconsistency is those who worship Poch, but also disdain his giving short shrift to the cups in favor of the PL and CL. I'm probably part of that group, and my justification for my logical inconsistency:

:dembelefingers:

Namely for “not backing the manager” with big spending and “neglecting” the team, and only buying yachts
There was a question asked a few pages back. would people prefer to have won a couple of League cups instead of 4 consecutive champions league campaigns.
The response was mixed.

However. one person we all know who wouldn't want a domestic trophy at the cost of a top 4 finish is Daniel Levy. Offer him 4th or an FA cup he'd take 4th place every time. If anyone suggests otherwise they're fucking lying.

Now considering Poch is paid to carry out his boss's remit surely we should all understand his binning off of the domestic cups. Until the ethos at the top of the club changes, we won't be winning domestic silverware. No matter who the manager is. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, its just how it is.

But considering Poch's recent comments, it's pretty clear he now sees trophies as the next step in his managerial career. And it could be that his desire for glory doesn't fit in with Levy's desire for the top 4 revenue stream season after season.
Hence why the two appear to be at loggerheads since the end of last season.

There was a question asked a few pages back. would people prefer to have won a couple of League cups instead of 4 consecutive champions league campaigns.
The response was mixed.

However. one person we all know who wouldn't want a domestic trophy at the cost of a top 4 finish is Daniel Levy. Offer him 4th or an FA cup he'd take 4th place every time. If anyone suggests otherwise they're fucking lying.

Now considering Poch is paid to carry out his boss's remit surely we should all understand his binning off of the domestic cups. Until the ethos at the top of the club changes, we won't be winning domestic silverware. No matter who the manager is. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, its just how it is.

But considering Poch's recent comments, it's pretty clear he now sees trophies as the next step in his managerial career. And it could be that his desire for glory doesn't fit in with Levy's desire for the top 4 revenue stream season after season.

I think sadly that would be true of most owners these days.

I think sadly that would be true of most owners these days.
I agree. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it explains why Poch has targeted top 4 at the expense of domestic trophies. He's had limited resources and cut his cloth accordingly.
I'm sure there are other managers who could have won a cup or two with the players Poch has had to work with, but no fucking way would they have achieved 4 successive CL finishes.

Until the ethos at the top of the club changes, we won't be winning domestic silverware.

GettyImages.79965768.jpg

The response was mixed.

Are you suggesting Poch isn’t allowed to win a cup?

What a bunch...some randoms on a Spurs forum thinking they can run the club, when the only thing they're good at is fucking moaning...
Interesting point because I truly believe that most people here could pick a team or make a sub that could win a game.
Call it luck, call it what you want, but it’s possible.

But then you have those who think the same is possible if they were sitting at the table with Dybala and his lawyers in getting him to sign.

Football is not rocket science....economics is close though

Interesting point because I truly believe that most people here could pick a team or make a sub that could win a game.

But then you have those who think the same is possible if they were sitting at the table with Dybala and his lawyers in getting him to sign.

Sorry to burst your bubble but....
Rocket science is easy; rocket engineering is hard :thumbup: :roflmao:

Are you suggesting Poch isn’t allowed to win a cup?
Ha! Nice one.

No. But I think he's been told not to prioritise them.
If he'd won a couple of domestics in recent seasons but failed to qualify for the champions league I doubt very much his stock would be as high as it is right now. In fact I doubt he'd have kept his job at Spurs.

Ha! Nice one.

No. But I think he's been told not to prioritise them.
If he'd won a couple of domestics in recent seasons but failed to qualify for the champions league I doubt very much his stock would be as high as it is right now. In fact I doubt he'd have kept his job at Spurs.
But what if.............we got top 4 and won a domestic

Seeing as for the last 4 years he’s had the best Spurs team for 40 years

But what if.............we got top 4 and won a domestic

Seeing as for the last 4 years he’s had the best Spurs team for 40 years
That's the talk of the Levyologists. Best team for 40 years.
I'd certainly say we had our best team in 30 years in 2016. Mainly due to the fantastic coaching skills and man management of Mauricio Pochettino.

I'm sure there's more than a few Sky pundits who thought the same, people that talk a great game but fell on their arses when they tried management...

I agree. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it explains why Poch has targeted top 4 at the expense of domestic trophies. He's had limited resources and cut his cloth accordingly.
I'm sure there are other managers who could have won a cup or two with the players Poch has had to work with, but no fucking way would they have achieved 4 successive CL finishes.

The only problem with that is that he had the same derisory attitude toward FA cup at Southampton - he played a weakened team against Sunderland despite Southampton being mid table and lost and also said he didn’t really want to qualify for the UEFA cup. He has made a series of derisory comments about those tournaments here as well - it’s Redknapp all over again and is it any wonder that the outcome is the same?

I don’t think winning silverware is high in Levy’s priorities but he has never told a manager which competitions m to take seriously and which to not - just look at the difference in attitudes between Jol and AVB in comparison to Redknapp and Poxh with regards to the UEFA cup.

His job is to give the clubs manager a squad capable of competing for major honours which has done. We have had one of the best teams in the league in the last 5 years but unlike the rest of the top 6 have nothing to show for it.

And when our manager states that winning the FA cup is simply ego ( which accounts for insipid performances in that tournament under him) and plays weakened teams in the Europa league it not hard to see why that is.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's more than a few Sky pundits who thought the same, people that talk a great game but fell on their arses when they tried management...

You’re right - someone tell Case that he has it wrong on the discussion board front and instead just allow endless platitudes to the employees of the club. If only we had you around during the Sugar years to tell those mindless detractors just what morons they were for thinking they could question the running and direction of the club.

#ArtyB#Notallheroswearcapes

Last edited:
I’m not talking about over a season,I’m talking about calling one in game sub or one line up that could do better in a one off game

But the same can’t be said for trying to negotiate the Ndombele deal, or getting Eriksen to sign now could it

I'd certainly say we had our best team in 30 years in 2016. Mainly due to the fantastic coaching skills and man management of Mauricio Pochettino.

Yet Ranieri, Drinkwater and Wes Morgan outwitted him and his best team in 30 years and we finished below a shit Woolwich (after capitulating a 13pt GAP) and lost 5-1 to a relegated team.

Great stuff

Last edited:
Interesting. Seeing as you deem levy personally responsible for transfers, and the majority of that team was purchased, how can you not give levy any credit?

Unless your a cock with some strange obsession?
I mean, levyologists?

Would that make you a notonebrickist or a levyispayingarchwayslegalcostsist?

Back
Top Bottom