Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch clearly is a manager who likes a "project" he sees players probably not as they even see themselves, as long as he doesn't put square pegs in round holes that's not a bad thing.
Brian Clough once said "a good player can play anywhere" it was Johan Cruffy's philosophy that players should be able rotate positions ... not sure these were literal observation but it does make some sense.
We will no doubt be spending a lot of this season trying to break down packed defences, having four of five pure defenders on the pitch is probably not needed ... midfield/winger who can defend a bit is probably a better option than a defender who can attack a bit ...
All about the right selections for the right game ... Pep nails that ... Klopp far less so ... if Poch can step up his tactical use of our squad we will be a bigger threat this season than the Dippers .....

You would think but nothing about our transfer window suggested we were ever very interested in signing a RB, which makes me believe Poch thought it wasn’t much of a priority.

I believe he really thinks he already has the players to make RB work well enough this year.
I also don't think it was a priority but Poch got in Aurier when KWP could have been given his chance, he will make do for now but don't be surprised if he makes a move for a right back in the summer.

Poch said: “A good season for us? My personal feeling is that starting my sixth season I need to lift a trophy.
I am not saying it is time. It’s like my dog — he’s growing up. He’s just not quite mature enough. I don’t want to put pressure on the team or the club.
But if you ask me personally, this season is not about finishing in the top four to be successful, it is about winning some titles.
If not, after last season’s final, to be again in the top four and reach the semi-final of the Carabao Cup, it is like, ‘Come on!’ You are always there but you cannot touch the glory.
My objective to be successful this season is to lift a trophy.”

John Thomas John Thomas are you poch's speech writer?

Very interesting comments there from poch. I say we sack the ungrateful trophy-mad negative argy. He should be happy with top 4 & know his place.

I see Levy has finally told Poch to take the cups seriously then.

Carabao glory here we come.

In serious tho it is a stark change of pace from Poch's usual narrative of trophies not being important right now. New chapter and all that jazz.

Poch said: “A good season for us? My personal feeling is that starting my sixth season I need to lift a trophy.
I am not saying it is time. It’s like my dog — he’s growing up. He’s just not quite mature enough. I don’t want to put pressure on the team or the club.
But if you ask me personally, this season is not about finishing in the top four to be successful, it is about winning some titles.
If not, after last season’s final, to be again in the top four and reach the semi-final of the Carabao Cup, it is like, ‘Come on!’ You are always there but you cannot touch the glory.
My objective to be successful this season is to lift a trophy.”

And two days ago......

If we still have to sacrifice the domestics to achieve 4th then this window was a massive fucking waste of time.

We need silverware.

If it’s not a priority then we need to go the extra mile for players like Dybala because being the perennial also rans is getting boring.

Sooner or later everyone comes around to SWOT (Sammy's Way Of Thinking)
Even Poch

:dwi:

But you dont believe the statement to be true, so it means nothing mate. See how life actually works
I do actually, if you search the transfer thread you'll see that I said KWP should have been given a chance before we bought Aurier. Aurier is already surplus to requirements after 2 years so it was a waste of money.

I do actually, if you search the transfer thread you'll see that I said KWP should have been given a chance before we bought Aurier. Aurier is already surplus to requirements after 2 years so it was a waste of money.

Ok, I was just going on the part where you said you "dont believe the latter part of the statement"

:paulinhobored:

Ok, I was just going on the part where you said you "dont believe the latter part of the statement"

:paulinhobored:
Right and that still stands, if he loved the challenge of solving the RB situation without money, he would have never had bought Aurier.

This is obviously the most loaded squad we've ever had. We should keep Eriksen, Toby and Rose and really push to win something (hopefully that means they sign new deals).
I hope so too. If one of them has to leave on a free I guess I'd pick Toby since Davinson has to be given the reigns at some point, otherwise we are just wasting money in him.

Leaves me to believe he's finally realised that Wigan have won more than us in the last 11 years
Either way they're good comments that I like reading/hearing.

Son, Lucas, Eriksen, Alli, Sessegnon and Lamela for possibly 3 spots.

N'dombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Sissoko, Dier for for possibly 2 spots (I expect Wanyama to be sold).

We're stacked so no excuses.

Back
Top Bottom