You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts - Sign up here

Management Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by WHITE&BLUE, 15 Jan 2014.

1. For better or worse

But that doesn't suit my conspiracy agenda :pocheyes:

• Funny x 1
  2. pleb

Enjoy the Moment

• Funny x 3
  3. Travel Fan

This was interesting from newspaper commentary at Cheltenham Festival today. Shows Ferguson as working it and working it, hoping to get that championship side together one year and then go again. I think Pochettino is on this road. But will it all come together for him and for us or will he get frustrated and think 'fuck it, it's not going to happen here'? Oh how good would it be?! Almost too good to realistically imagine, for me. Almost, but I can, just.

“It’s like a football team, as Alex always says,” Nicholls [the top trainer] said. “It’s dips and troughs and you’re only as good as the team you’ve got. You can’t expect to get the top players or the top horses all the time. You have to be patient and wait until they come along and then have the patience not to rush them before they’re ready. You let some go at the top and bottom and keep replacing them and hope to get a championship team.”

4. Travel Fan

"You let some go at the top and bottom and keep replacing them and hope to get a championship team."

That's the key bit. If you're operating at or around the highest level.

• Agree x 1
  5. Airfixx

Swollen Member

....Always goes down a storm. :llorishuh:

6. Travel Fan

This means it has to be Pochettino's project. The manager is the only constant. The team is built and moulded by the manager over and over.

7. Park Lane Mark Twain

100% right. We are in a different position to the Fergie days at United though. He had one real rival each season, the rest of the league have 4-5 to contend with even if City and Liverpool are ahead at the moment.

Both are the best yet both have transfer records lower than the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man City for all of their riches barely beat Woolwich on the record transfer fee for an individual player spent etc.

For me we have 5 must stay players, 5 worth keeping and the rest we need to be actively looking or considering churning.

8. Alli-Luya

"What's the wanker in the black? What's the wanker, what's the wanker, what's the wanker in the black?"

9. HyNdZee

Poch needs to win the Liverpool game. I am 50/50 over whether he will. The players bailed him out against Woolwich, but aside from that our form is dismal. He does tend to magic something up when the shit hits the fan. I still remember him winning against City in his first season. Otherwise it is looking like head-turned Harry all over again.

• Agree x 1
  10. Totti

Chess extraordinaire

We never beat City in his first season.

Unless you mean Chelsea when we absolutely smashed them 5-3. Which was incredible considering.

• Agree x 1
  11. Park Lane Mark Twain

What has Pochettino ever said or done that gives the impression his heads been turned? We lose a couple of games and all of a sudden everything's doom and gloom I don't understand it. 3rd withna depleted squad all season, no home, no signings to freshen up and the manager Ian under the cosh even though he's constantly said about the project and what ideally he'd like to achieve with the club.

We all know reports take things said out of context, is not seen anything to suggest he isn't just cracking on with his job and committed, as the 5 year deal he signed in the summer would suggest

• Like x 1
  12. HyNdZee

No, meant second season. Felt his job was on the line after losing to Woolwich in the League Cup. Certainly on the verge of lost support from fans.

13. Totti

Chess extraordinaire

Yeah I remember that - people were relatively upset that we weakened our team for a NLD but it was soon forgotten when we smashed City.

Crazy how that season ended up!

14. HyNdZee

Firstly, he said we were title contenders before Burnley, then said top 4 was our limit after losing three games and drawing one. Very Harry-esque after England manager talk.

Secondly, this is his worst form since being at the club, and on top of that this is the first time we are destined to a worse second half of the season under him. Again, it was unlike Harry.

As in, we literally cannot improve or finish stronger than the first half even if we win every remaining game. So those are two things that indicate strange behaviour not commonly aligned with the same manager who got us into the top 4.

If he took over the club now, and we were in relegation form, would he persist with a diamond in midfield and no holding midfielder? Would he continue to lose to mid table teams after 70 minutes? He would shut up shop and press well.

You do realise if he keeps losing we will be playing Europa League and he won't be fulfilling his contract or the project. Not even a bottom half manager survives 4 or 5 losses and a draw.

15. Park Lane Mark Twain

Firstly, we were in a title race up until that Burnley game, not because we have title winning quality from top to bottom in the squad but because we were literally 2 points off the top of the table if we had won that game.

Secondly, anyone can see that we have a competitive top 4 squad but to disregard a Man United team that has the likes of Rashford, De Gea, Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, the fact Chelsea have the kind of funds where they can nearly double our transfer record and Woolwich are 15 years ahead of us with their infrastructure meaning they can play more in wages and sign more expensive players can't be overlooked.

We've hit a bad spell, granted but we've played 2 London derbies and 2 relegation scraps, 3 of the 4 away from home. Yes it been a really shit spell of results but we can't turn on the gaffer or the team because of it. We clearly are and have been over achieving when you consider we have a net spend on average of roughly £8m per season for the last 11 years.

You say about persisting with the diamond but Pochettino this whole season has been without Dier, Wanyama and Dembele. He's had to make the most of, realistically his 4th and 5th choice midfielders should all be with and still with us.

I completely understand why he said we are at our level. We finished 3rd last season and didn't sign a single player and we are still 3rd so Poch saying how it is I don't have an issue with that. We were in a title race, we lost, we've constantly for 3-4 seasons stayed just shy of winning so him saying this is our level is just facing facts until we get some movement elsewhere going.

We've had a few reckless results yes but the team and the club needs to be applauded for doing so with no home, no real pre-season etc and nonnew faces for so long. Poch needs time and the backing to recycle it all again if he wants to. He's made us a solid team and is building our reputation which can only bode well for the future. Fingers crossed we do all we need to get that top 4 slot again for another go at it next year

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  16. COckneY Spurs

I gave you a like just for typing out that short novel.....
    :sonpoint:

• Funny x 1
  17. Muttley

Eventually Poch will leave us for pastures new. Who should replace him? I really like the Wolves manager, his side has played some lively football that woudl suit us. I also think Ryan Mason will one day be our manager and be fantastic.

18. skywalker68

Without wanting to sound niggly but we was never in a title race in all honestly yes we was third all good stuff etc, but as we all know if the league was a four team league then spurs would finish sixth.
    We can't keep making excuses for having to play london derbies because whisper it quietly other london teams also play those derbies, as for injuries all teams get them its part of the game.
    Not signing player's wasn't a great idea as the team needed freshening up which we have all evindenced for ourselves with player's out of form and a team performing at itsi poorest since poch arrived with strange and shit formations along with tactical changes.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. Park Lane Mark Twain

Mate we were 2 points off of the top with nearly a quarter of the season left to go. It was reliant on us having excellent form before the end of the season and the other 2 fading but we had a good chance. Yes we were always bit outsiders but points wise we were in it until we fell away.

I didn't except of think we would win it but if it's in the back of your minds like it was all of us we were in it I don't care what anyone says. We were reliant on many things but we had an outside chance of things dropping how we needed to that's all I know.

It's also not about the excuse of London derbies but the last 4 games haven't been easy ones, every team has had something to play for and our form dipped meaning we became pretty disjointed. It depends on how you look at it. Some see 3rd or 4th as a failure, I see it as a success seeing as we not only have the 6th biggest bank balance to work with but we have to balance a huge build with that money as well making us closer to the likes of Bournemouth with our funds than the likes of Woolwich. As a fanbase we should lose sight of that and end to change our mentality from coming up short to 1st place to constantly take steps in the right direction for the future. We can't keep reeling out this 'typical Spurs' mentality it doesn't do the club any favours

20. Mrs Perryman

I'm a Cockney Malteser

Too early to even be thinking on these lines, IMO. At this moment in time, we need stability, swapping managers every few months (that's how it felt) didn’t help, so hope Poch is with us for a long time.

• Agree x 11
Draft saved Draft deleted
If you see people ruining threads with off-topic discussion, arguing or personal abuse, use the 'Foul' link at the bottom of their post to vote for them to be sent off. More info