Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The guy wants to win things

“We are in advance, no? That is why sometimes I laugh when the people say we need to win a trophy."

Yes he does, but he knows the club is ahead of schedule and our progress goes beyond silverware right now, even though "we are ambitious and want to win"

Again, you think you know more about the man than what he says. Cant you see how plain weird that is

Which is why he said:
At the moment it’s fantastic, so far so good, but we’ll see if it’s enough to challenge and be consistent in the next five years operating in that way, if we’re capable to fight with the big sides in the same way that we’ve fought in the last four or five years.

No one has said this policy will be enough for another five years. People have simply said what Poch has said.
You take what Poch has said, add your own conclusion to how likely it is, and try and palm it off as something Poch meant.

He said exactly what he said, which you are just repeating as your views, and adding ultimatums to it

No mate because I did not say he will knock on Levy or whoever's door and say back me or I'm off.

He has laid foundations against the odds.

Kept every player he has wanted and seen the majority now receive pay deals that make moving club a matter only of minimal financial gain but maybe greater trophy opportunity. In part his might be lets erase that element as far as we can.

But I have merely provided my side of the triangle.

No mate because I did not say he will knock on Levy or whoever's door and say back me or I'm off.

He has laid foundations against the odds.

Kept every player he has wanted and seen the majority now receive pay deals that make moving club a matter only of minimal financial gain but maybe greater trophy opportunity. In part his might be lets erase that element as far as we can.

But I have merely provide my side of the triangle.

There is no triangle though?

Was there a triangle when he said in the future we will need to spend more to compete?
Nooooooo. No triangle that time.

Just a crystal clear ultimatum. Some of you are just fucking odd

“We are in advance, no? That is why sometimes I laugh when the people say we need to win a trophy."

Yes he does, but he knows the club is ahead of schedule and our progress goes beyond silverware right now, even though "we are ambitious and want to win"

Again, you think you know more about the man than what he says. Cant you see how plain weird that is

Kane said we need to win a trophy. I presume he is also talking out of turn.

It's natural development.

Being ahead is funny. So when exactly does winning a trophy kick in do you think or is it going to be a matter of when Pochettino says so.

In that case lets call him Simple Simon.

Being ahead is funny. So when exactly does winning a trophy kick in do you think or is it going to be a matter of when Pochettino says so.

You arent listening to the man are you. I can just answer your questions with his quotes, so why cant you read them yourself and understand? Why do you read them, dismiss them, then claim he is saying something else, then ask me to explain why your interpretation is wrong?

We are in Tottenham in a project that today is not only to win, it is to maybe…okay I don’t want to say a percentage, but it is about to care about the financial side. It is about to build the new stadium to help to do or to finish the project
But when you are in charge like a coach or a manager, like what happened with Arsene Wenger, that they were building the new stadium but at the same moment you have a lot of limitations and the people demand you to win but you don’t have the same tools to fight with other clubs

So to answer your question, the stadium will eventually give us more leeway (thats money) to compete with the top teams in "another way" to what we have been doing "for the last 4 or 5 years".

The target is to get into the stadium, maintain top 4, and in a few years when we have more money fight in a different way:

but the most important thing is that I accept that challenge when Daniel Levy called me to offer a contract here. He was clear – him and Joe Lewis. And they say to me on this – and this guy was in front (points at Jesus Perez) – they said: ‘Mauricio, you need to prepare and to help the club to arrive to the new stadium. When we finish the new stadium, in the first season in the new stadium, to have a team that can finish in the top four in the season after.

Clear as daylight that Poch knew exactly what he was signing. No betrayal, no conspiracy. I said to people last summer hes an integral part of this club, and if you hate the policy and hate the chairman, then you cant claim to back Poch all the way.

The fact you find it laughable means nothing. The fact you dont agree that we need to be patient for the bigger picture is irrelevent. You disagree with Poch and thats fine....you think Jose is better anyway so who cares.

As for Kane, well he is a player. Every player wants to win things, as does the manager as does the club. Who denied anyone wanst to win things. Poch has said it the whole time.
You just dont have the ability to understand the project and its priorities and timescale.

Last edited:
Poch is not exactly being subtle with his message to Levy. He wants a couple of £75m type signings and that will probably be enough to get him to stay. If it’s going to be 5 more years of £15m bids for Grealish he will move on.

There is no triangle though?

Was there a triangle when he said in the future we will need to spend more to compete?
Nooooooo. No triangle that time.

Just a crystal clear ultimatum. Some of you are just fucking odd
You arent listening to the man are you. I can just answer your questions with his quotes, so why cant you read them yourself and understand? Why do you read them, dismiss them, then claim he is saying something else, then ask me to explain why your interpretation is wrong?

We are in Tottenham in a project that today is not only to win, it is to maybe…okay I don’t want to say a percentage, but it is about to care about the financial side. It is about to build the new stadium to help to do or to finish the project
But when you are in charge like a coach or a manager, like what happened with Arsene Wenger, that they were building the new stadium but at the same moment you have a lot of limitations and the people demand you to win but you don’t have the same tools to fight with other clubs

So to answer your question, the stadium will eventually give us more leeway (thats money) to compete with the top teams in "another way" to what we have been doing "for the last 4 or 5 years".

The target is to get into the stadium, maintain top 4, and in a few years when we have more money fight in a different way:

but the most important thing is that I accept that challenge when Daniel Levy called me to offer a contract here. He was clear – him and Joe Lewis. And they say to me on this – and this guy was in front (points at Jesus Perez) – they said: ‘Mauricio, you need to prepare and to help the club to arrive to the new stadium. When we finish the new stadium, in the first season in the new stadium, to have a team that can finish in the top four in the season after.

The fact you find it laughable means nothing. The fact you dont agree that we need to be patient for the bigger picture is irrelevent. You disagree with Poch and thats fine....you think Jose is better anyway so who cares.

As for Kane, well he is a player. Every player wants to win things, as does the manager as does the club. Who denied anyone wanst to win things. Poch has said it the whole time.
You just dont have the ability to understand the project and its priorities and timescale.

I get all that but maybe I don't.

So I will ask you again. When is it okay to win things or maybe should I ask when does the project end, which is what anyway?

If we are ahead of the project now (we have been in the top 4 for the last 3 seasons) you see, then is it wrong or incorrect to expect winning things comes next?

Is it wrong to hope we can buy those 2 players of real quality right now and if possible that might actually generate the income to speed through repaying of the stadium debt?

When is it okay to win things or maybe should I ask when does the project end, which is what anyway?

I answered it with Pochettinos quote as to when the club find it acceptable.

Personally I think hes responsible for not winning a domestic cup by now and dont buy that the stadium has held us back there. But thats what he has said. They are not our priority and I find that wrong in the sense that I believe we can still win a Carabou or FA cup and it wont affect the long term project.

I disagree with Poch there.

I dont claim he meant something else

Poch is not exactly being subtle with his message to Levy. He wants a couple of £75m type signings and that will probably be enough to get him to stay. If it’s going to be 5 more years of £15m bids for Grealish he will move on.
I sort of agree to an extent.

What I believe Is that when he talks of better quality than what we have that he knows it is unlikely to come cheaply.

And that we cannot expect to go to the next level or even sustain where we are at if we stick to our current ways.

So it's both because it is maybe an overt warning that he can only do so much/be loyal for so long etc.

No doubt he seems content but not so content as to accept anything.

I answered it with Pochettinos quote as to when the club find it acceptable.

Personally I think hes responsible for not winning a domestic cup by now and dont buy that the stadium has held us back there. But thats what he has said. They are not our priority and I find that wrong in the sense that I believe we can still win a Carabou or FA cup and it wont affect the long term project.

I disagree with Poch there.

I dont claim he meant something else

Okay.

Another one who wanks over a 15 word tweet but ignores the 4000 word inteview

Poch has being saying this the whole season. It’s obvious that as a team we have hit a wall where it simply isn’t possible to have a realistic chance of winning the title without major investment in the playing squad. Liverpool spent £150m on a goalkeeper and CB, City spent £100m on two RBs, we are struggling to sign Championship players.

If Poch wanted to end the rumours once and for all, he could. But he is clever, like the fans he knows we need investment in the squad and probably the only way to really make Levy feel the heat on that is to talk about it in public. He knows that immediate investment is key to taking us from 3rd place also rans to genuine contenders. He also knows that in the long term, the new stadium will take us to that level eventually but he has openly pondered whether he will be here through that process. Does he want to spend another 5 years waiting, like Wenger, for the money to start flowing again? He’s not really hiding anything, he’s saying all these things in press conferences.

It’s easy to read a quote of him saying “I want to stay for 20 years” and feel all warm inside but when you look at the rest of his words where he talks about the ridicule Wenger endured for not winning trophies during the early Emirates era, our lack of money, they reality of competing in the PL etc, clearly there are conditions that the club need to fulfill if he is going to stay here long term.

exp8.jpg

So Harry Kane could potentially spend his whole career at the club and not win anything but he would have helped establish Spurs as a top 4 club. That's a very noble act from one of the best players in the world.

Only you and John could piss on that.

You must feel so gutted that every time you get a quote that you think backs you, which is gospel funnily enough, there are another 20 that don’t.

Which are conveniently just Poch lying.
Piss on it!!!! I said I was delighted with the comment.
I just pointed out he's at one of the most illustrious clubs in English football and I'd expect nothing less than our manager to be hoping to stay as long as possible.

It's now up to the board to make his wishes a reality by giving him a realistic chance of achiving his potential and objectives with us.
And as his recent comments made crystal clear, that involves spending money and investing more in the team.

How is that pissing on his comments, exactly?
Endorsing his comments, more like

Last edited:
Poch has being saying this the whole season. It’s obvious that as a team we have hit a wall where it simply isn’t possible to have a realistic chance of winning the title without major investment in the playing squad. Liverpool spent £150m on a goalkeeper and CB, City spent £100m on two RBs, we are struggling to sign Championship players.

If Poch wanted to end the rumours once and for all, he could. But he is clever, like the fans he knows we need investment in the squad and probably the only way to really make Levy feel the heat on that is to talk about it in public. He knows that immediate investment is key to taking us from 3rd place also rans to genuine contenders. He also knows that in the long term, the new stadium will take us to that level eventually but he has openly pondered whether he will be here through that process. Does he want to spend another 5 years waiting, like Wenger, for the money to start flowing again? He’s not really hiding anything, he’s saying all these things in press conferences.

It’s easy to read a quote of him saying “I want to stay for 20 years” and feel all warm inside but when you look at the rest of his words where he talks about the ridicule Wenger endured for not winning trophies during the early Emirates era, our lack of money, they reality of competing in the PL etc, clearly there are conditions that the club need to fulfill if he is going to stay here long term.

Yeah as I said, ignoring the 4000 word interview

Piss on it!!!! I said I was delighted with the comment.
I just pointed out he's at one of the most illustrious clubs in English football and I'd expect nothing less than our manager to be hoping to stay as long as possible.
It's now up to the board to make his wishes a reality by giving him a realistic chance of achiving hiis potential with us.
How is that pissing on his comments, exactly?

Well you pissed on his 6 years contract. I thought he’d been betrayed John...

Like I said before Poch has to push Levy even more into spending money. He has the fans on his side, he has earned to right to demand more financial support if and when he wants it. Enough of the nice guy and no more excuses about the stadium, about it being difficult to buy players in the summer and even harder in the winter etc

Back
Top Bottom