martin chivers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was unfortunate that he suffered a knee injury soon after joined and the crowd got on his back a bit (wankers).
71/72 he was unstoppable but still Billy Nick critisised him saying he could do more. Their relationship was strained to say the least but in later years he invited Bill and Darkie out to dinner at the suggestion of Mrs.C and they hit it off straight away. Anyone who witnessed Chiv leading out Bill at his testimonial could see what they meant to each other and what our club means to us all. That is one of my favourite Spurs moments ever, i am welling up here ffs.
I remember that.As you said,very very moving.
As Bills memorial service,,Can't remember if Chiv spoke at that or not.Greaves was funny,in a very respectful way.His recounting of when Cliff Jones went to ask for a rise was hiliarious.
For a while,,as in the early- mid 70s Martin Chivers name was one of the best known in English football.Certainly in the circles that this here young kid moved in.

As Bills memorial service,,Can't remember if Chiv spoke at that or not.Greaves was funny,in a very respectful way.His recounting of when Cliff Jones went to ask for a rise was hiliarious.
For a while,,as in the early- mid 70s Martin Chivers name was one of the best known in English football.Certainly in the circles that this here young kid moved in.
Greavsie spoke certainly, Ledders and Stevie P also spoke as i recall.. I still have my ticket for that event and it takes pride of place in a frame with a double winning rosette on my mantlepiece at home. Alongside my kids of course.......................

I think Hoddle spoke as well?!
Few years back now though,but one i had to attend, i cancelled a few things on that Sunday to get there.Sometimes you have to make the effort.I was(and am) only a bus ride away,so no excuses from me.

A memory of watching Martin Chivers along with some other spurs players playing a Cricket match one summer has just come back to me.
It might have been up Cheshunt Country club...I'll ask my brother.

Yes he did. His autobiography is a good read.

What did Greaves say about Jones ?
I've probably seen it before but can't remember.

Martin Chivers suffered a bad injury on 21 Sept 1968, not long after his transfer in the Jan of that year. Took quite a time to recover and regain his confidence, but when he did, what a player !

Kane is only 6 goals behind him. I reckon 4 goals behind him after tomorrow.
But it's almost certain Martin will always stay as our most prolific League Cup scorer.

CHIVERS23
DEFOE14
TEDDY13
ALLEN13
KANE5

the sign of a genius - making it look so simple that it makes you feel you can do it.

Martin had the lot

Physique
Technique
Pace
Strength
Ball control
Etc

But he could be bullied out of games
Larry Lloyd
Roy McFarlane both spring to mind but he was a hell of a player

Martin had the lot

Physique
Technique
Pace
Strength
Ball control
Etc

But he could be bullied out of games
Larry Lloyd
Roy McFarlane both spring to mind but he was a hell of a player
For a couple of seasons in the early 70’s he was probably best centre forward in Europe.
A bit soft at times when faced with Tommy Smith at anfield. Usually got a whack in first ten minutes and disappeared.
Great combination with Gilzean

For a couple of seasons in the early 70’s he was probably best centre forward in Europe.
A bit soft at times when faced with Tommy Smith at anfield. Usually got a whack in first ten minutes and disappeared.
Great combination with Gilzean

Who couldn’t play well alongside Gilly?
Greavsie did

My dad says on his day big chiv was unplayable but he did struggle against the hard men. Also still raves that gilzean was the best header of a football he has ever seen........back when footballs were heavier as well!

Back
Top Bottom