Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come on Mate, this season is the least competitive season for a long time.. Last season was tougher and Pep steered his team to a massive 3rd place.

The last 3 Man City managers have won the league which goes to show it’s about the money. Mancini is an average manager and managed what pep has plus more.

Guardiola is good at spending money, not just a bit of money but over a billion. How anyone can say that makes him a genius is beyond me..
in my opinion Dyche is doing better this season than Guardiola, as he is having a great season with a shoestring budget, that makes a good manager not someone who just buys any player he wants because he can.
The league isn't competitive because Guardiola is tearing it apart breaking records. You're kidding yourself if you think Dyche is a better manager

Last edited:
The league isn't competitive because Guardiola is tearing it apart breaking new records. You're kidding yourself if you think Dyche is a better manager

Dyche has built a good squad on next to nothing. His record signing is £13M.. Pep just buys players. He's spent over £1billion on players so how can you judge him as a manager??

He spent all that money but only came 3rd last season and got knocked out of the CL by Monaco, not great for a genius.

The league isn't competitive because Guardiola is tearing it apart breaking new records. You're kidding yourself if you think Dyche is a better manager
I don't see the need for a comparison. Guardiola is brilliant with world class talent and Dyche is brilliant at getting more limited players to compete at the top level. They're both great at what they do so why not just leave it at that?

I don't see the need for a comparison. Guardiola is brilliant with world class talent and Dyche is brilliant at getting more limited players to compete at the top level. They're both great at what they do so why not just leave it at that?
That’s fine. But if you put Pep in charge of Burnley, & Dyche in charge of City (theoretically) where would your money be on who finished higher?

Dyche has built a good squad on next to nothing. His record signing is £13M.. Pep just buys players. He's spent over £1billion on players so how can you judge him as a manager??

He spent all that money but only came 3rd last season and got knocked out of the CL by Monaco, not great for a genius.
Do you think that simply buying players wins you the league? You don't think that his tactics are incredible? This is probably one of the best teams the pl has ever seen, many of the players have improved massively under Guardiola. He even managed to turn Delph into a good full back. He gets a lot out of his players

Do you think that simply buying players wins you the league? You don't think that his tactics are incredible? This is probably one of the best teams the pl has ever seen, many of the players have improved massively under Guardiola. He even managed to turn Delph into a good full back. He gets a lot out of his players

Well it worked for Pellegrini and Mancini..They both won the league after Man City got all their oil money or is that just coincidence?

I think your logic is a bit flawed
Not really. It’s a fair question.
Do you think that Burnley would be top of the league, having won all but one game, simply by putting Guardiola in charge?
All aboard the Guardiola hype train.
The bloke has bought heavily everywhere he has been.
He has never had to build a competitive team on a budget.
He should have won the league last year with what he spent.

90% of the time it does
I agree his attacking style is enjoyable compared to the sour Maureen . He is a good manager but City/Chav success is only down to their unlimited funding .
Something that will/has destroyed the Premier as a competitive league. If not controlled this is the future but this has been the case for a decade .

Become Manager of Man City and you can buy who you want to play the style of Football you want. Become Manager of Burnley and you have to find a style of play that suits the players you have and can only make minor changes each season to slowly get to what you want. The 2 jobs are not comparable.

Back in around 2008, the football writer Simon Kuper wrote the following:

“The fact is that players’ salaries alone almost entirely determine football results. Stefan Szymanski, economics professor at Cass Business School, studied the spending of 40 English clubs between 1978 and 1997, and found that their spending on salaries explained 92 per cent of their variation in league position. The team that pays most, wins…

In English football now, managers could probably be replaced by stuffed teddy bears without their club’s league position changing. The manager serves chiefly as a marketing device to fans, media, sponsors and players. He is the club’s spokesman. Totemic faith is invested in his powers. As there isn’t much he can actually do, the key thing is that he looks the part.”

I took this from an article in The Spectator from 2009. The person who wrote the article decided to take the piss out of Kuper by remarking that if his point was valid, we’d soon see English football being dominated by Man City and that’ll never happen.....

Managers can make a difference, especially decades ago when the gap between the haves and have nots was narrower. This allowed Clough to do well with Forest, Ferguson with Aberdeen, etc. Now the gap is huge and managers make little difference to finishing positions.

Man city have won some games, so they should given their investment but please stop with making out they are Brazil circa 1970.

I have seen loads of good teams over the years and city are nowhere at that level, despite the media instant reach around, the Liverpool side of the late 70's and the united side in the late 90's would tear them apart, they are awful at the back.

That's what jarred me with last week, again some of our attacking players failed to show up in a big game and city's did, only difference.

Not really the toughest gig in town, managing a club of top players and raheem sterling and having unlimited funds to just go out and buy when you see a weakness.

Man city have won some games, so they should given their investment but please stop with making out they are Brazil circa 1970.

I have seen loads of good teams over the years and city are nowhere at that level, despite the media instant reach around, the Liverpool side of the late 70's and the united side in the late 90's would tear them apart, they are awful at the back.

That's what jarred me with last week, again some of our attacking players failed to show up in a big game and city's did, only difference.

Not really the toughest gig in town, managing a club of top players and raheem sterling and having unlimited funds to just go out and buy when you see a weakness.
This.
So many people wanking themselves into a frenzy about bloody Guardiola. Nobody is saying he’s toilet as a manager, but there only a select few managers in the world who have the luxury of limitless funding. When the playing field is so uneven, it is little wonder that a good manager can suddenly be portrayed as some kind of God like figure.
He’s a fucking ingratious slap head with his snidey “Harry Kane team” jibes. Would love to see him shot off his perch.

Managers can make a difference, especially decades ago when the gap between the haves and have nots was narrower. This allowed Clough to do well with Forest, Ferguson with Aberdeen, etc. Now the gap is huge and managers make little difference to finishing positions.

True, but thats also a circular argument to the extent that as a rule the top managers will go where the money to pay those big salaries is. Which is also why we as a club are bucking the trend with a manager who seems not to be interested in only £££££££££££££

True, but thats also a circular argument to the extent that as a rule the top managers will go where the money to pay those big salaries is. Which is also why we as a club are bucking the trend with a manager who seems not to be interested in only £££££££££££££
If Pep has one thing seriously going for him, it’s his ability to get the top jobs with the big money. That in itself is impressive.

But to win the league with that squad and that budget? A shaved monkey could do it.

I like the fact that Guardiola does his best to raise either his clubs own talent or buy/play domestic players from the country hes managing in.

He has the money and yes he spends it, but he's a damn good coach. Improves players, improves the way teams play and wins trophies. That's all you want from your coach.

Dyche is good in his own way. Would he be good with more money? Who knows? Moyes wasn't. Van Gaal wasn't. AVB wasn't. He may decide signing Tom Heaton for £15,000,000 because he can would be worth it, who knows.

I can appreciate both for what they do and what they achieve.

I like the fact that Guardiola does his best to raise either his clubs own talent or buy/play domestic players from the country hes managing in.

He has the money and yes he spends it, but he's a damn good coach. Improves players, improves the way teams play and wins trophies. That's all you want from your coach.

Dyche is good in his own way. Would he be good with more money? Who knows? Moyes wasn't. Van Gaal wasn't. AVB wasn't. He may decide signing Tom Heaton for £15,000,000 because he can would be worth it, who knows.

I can appreciate both for what they do and what they achieve.
But to win the league with that squad and that budget? A shaved monkey could do it.
pipes is spot on there and what is this the Guardiola mutual admiration thread or something!

If Pep has one thing seriously going for him, it’s his ability to get the top jobs with the big money. That in itself is impressive.

Wow Pardew could win the league, what a squad they have.

Back
Top Bottom