ManC (h) 18/19 ratings thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Tactical Pragmatism

For me, that was much, much better than the last few games we've played against City. I've obviously still got some issues with some of the personnel choices, but tactically, that's only the second time this season when I think we've not been pretty poor for long spells (Watford being the other).

I very much like that Poch went with the 433 and I liked even more that he showed some astute tactical pragmatism in terms of our collective approach, going for a deeper press, with occasional forward pressing at trigger times, being more disciplined and countering - it was just a real shame that we wasted all of the good counter situations we created.

This was pretty much the best we've played against City since they got their Pep shit together, the first game for a couple of years were we haven't been embarrassingly naive, we limited them to only two or three real quality chances - and two of those were just terrible individual defending - meanwhile we created a couple of excellent situations - and I think we were fucking unlucky not to get something out of this game.

The first goal was just a horrible cluster fuck by Trippier. I don't think it was the right thing to do, but I can understand why he tries to head it back, you would normally expect Lloris to be further up - it's been the opposite issue with him recently - but even then Trippier fucks up the header, and he compounds this with a really weak bit of defending. It was just poor all round.

But he wasn't alone. Their second best chance came as a result if some really shoddy work by Alderweireld, ironically it was Trippier that eventually goes some way to redeeming himself by blocking the eventual shot off the line.

And lets be clear, Kane's and Lamela's complete wasting - not even working the keeper - with two outstanding chances is up there with our individual defensive cluster fucks. Both should have done so much better.

I will never enjoy watching a player like Sissoko, even on a good day, and today was a good day for him, it's like watching a rhino doing a rubik's cube.

And I hope to god that Poch wakes from the dystopian football nightmare that is Dier in midfield soon. He was fucking piss poor again, when they had possession he was like a kid ball watching, rarely in th right place, then when our defenders had the ball he was never available. Winks touched the ball three less times than Dier in a third of the time on the pitch and was once again one of the biggest positives individually for us, our whole demeanour changed when he came on the pitch.

I really think if Poch could just get a bit braver with his personnel selections, especially in the midfield, but stick with this 433, he could reinvent us and get our mojo back. Wanyama's got to be given a run of games and a chance to re-establish himself, it can't possibly be worse than watching Dier plod around like a baby elephant on smack. And if he isn't looking like the old Wanyama by Christmas then we move on.

Individual

Lloris - Decent enough, one great save from Mahrez.

Trippier - Terrible for the goal, but did save us one as well and was OK generally after that.

Sanchez - Got to be a candidate for MOTM, performed well on a tough night. Used his pace and tenacity well.

Alderweireld - Couple of very slack moments, the rest of the time OK.

Davies - Hit his usual meh standard.

Sissoko - He tried hard bless him, and again, by his standards this was a decent run around, a couple of stampedes, but ultimately they led to nothing, he wasted a great chance to create something first half. His technical deficiencies will always make him tough watch for me, and there's always those "Sissoko" moments where he'll clunk one.

Dier - I get that vision Reggie Perrin used to get whenever his mother in law was mentioned, whenever I see him in midfield.

Dembele - Some good, some bad. Anyone who can't accept he's in decline is fucking deluded, but he was generally our best CM until Winks came on.

Lamela - Pretty much the usual bag of Lamela pick and mix. Some good stuff, great ball to put Kane through, wasted some other situations by holding onto the ball, worked hard off the ball but, as ever, occasionally crossed the line into reckless. Decent overall though.

Kane - We are getting more of the old Kane again, but that wasted chance was fucking piss poor. In these games chances like that have to be cherished, not pissed away.

Moura - Not everything fizzy is champagne, quite a lot of it is sparkling wine that goes flat quite quickly.

Poch - Like the shape, like the tactics, not loving our midfield right now, but unlucky not to get something tonight IMO.

Last edited:
Sissoko, Winks, Lamela and Sanchez only ones worth mentioning. Dele made an impact when coming on though and really should have an assist to his name.

Trippier, Dembele, Davies and Lucas should all be squad players, nothing more. Time to integrate Aurier, Winks, Rose (when fit), Eriksen and Dele all back into the team now and get our best out there.

Sissoko MOTM.

Probably our best performance of the season though, especially in the league, which is why it's disappointing to come away with nothing. Absolutely bossed their midfield but individual defensive errors cost us again. As well as not taking our limited chances.

Sissoko, Winks, Lamela and Sanchez only ones worth mentioning. Dele made an impact when coming on though and really should have an assist to his name.

Trippier, Dembele, Davies and Lucas should all be squad players, nothing more. Time to integrate Aurier, Winks, Rose (when fit), Eriksen and Dele all back into the team now and get our best out there.

Sissoko MOTM.

Probably our best performance of the season though, especially in the league, which is why it's disappointing to come away with nothing. Absolutely bossed their midfield but individual defensive errors cost us again. As well as not taking our limited chances.

I wouldn’t say we bossed their midfield, but we stifled their attack.

Unlucky today . Winks was brilliant .
Sissoko played out of his skin .
Should have won as so many easy chances went begging .
Really confident for the rest of the season .Top 4 is certainly at least possible.
Awesome at times .

T
Sissoko - He tried hard bless him, and again, by his standards this was a decent run around, a couple of stampedes, but ultimately they led to nothing, he wasted a great chance to create something first half. His technical deficiencies will always make him tough watch for me, and there's always those "Sissoko" moments where he'll clunk one.IMO.

Your opinion seems a tad biased ....

Paul MacInnes professional sports writer - Moussa Sissoko Spurs’ man of the match. As influential as Fernandinho and much more of a pleasant surprise. Strong, fast and decisive. 8

Alisdair Gold
not Sissoko's biggest fan - One of Spurs' best players in the first half, breaking up City's attacks and setting the hosts away on their own. Should have done better when put down the right himself as he failed to pick anybody out in the City box despite having plenty of options. Continued to try to drive Tottenham forward in the second half and came out of the game with plenty of credit. 7

and for the pure statisticians ...

OPTA - Spurs highest rated player - Sissoko
WhoScored
- Spurs joint highest rated player - Sissoko

The trouble with your opinion, as has been pointed out by so many so often, is that it just reflects overall what you think of the player, it has no bearing on the game he's just played ...

Sissoko was very probably our man of the match last night ... sorry if that upsets you view on him, sometimes you just need to suck it up ......

Give the lad a chance ... he's really not as bad as you believe .....

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't see the whole Sissoko and Lamela thing.

Running continually into blind alley, always taking a touch or two too many and giving the ball away in stupid places will never be a MOM performance, no matter how much "effort" goes into it.

Well a sort of respectable defeat . They were better but not brilliant and could have got a draw if the few chances were put away.
Technically they are better , have more movement , zip and know how to get results .
Tatically we have lately looked a mess even jaded. Very little creativity, ponderous play and really the full backs our biggest asset 2 years ago today are are shit . Poch does look out of ideas and many games are just rinse and repeat with little invention to adapt to the situation .
Really we are 4 quality players short of challenge and 2 years ago maybe a couple players short . So we have regressed and not sure what poor Poch can do long term.
So maybe the fairy tell is over and our Argie cavalier decides that sun shines better somewhere else . Hopefully he will stay as our mid table manager options will never have his ability under our restrictive policy , even if that he looks somewhat stale.
Plod on , with better players coming back we should get better but of course fall short at the end .

Sissoko 2 Motm for us in a row. Definite starter for now.

When everyone is fit

Lloris
Aurier ....rest of the defense
3 in midfield - Dembele as the DM, with Sissoko and Winks ( hes good apparently) doing the forward running
Lamela Eriksen
Kane

Hard to defend Trippier and Dier. Lucas has been bleh for a while.

Your opinion seems a tad biased ....

Paul MacInnes professional sports writer - Moussa Sissoko Spurs’ man of the match. As influential as Fernandinho and much more of a pleasant surprise. Strong, fast and decisive. 8

Alisdair Gold
not Sissoko's biggest fan - One of Spurs' best players in the first half, breaking up City's attacks and setting the hosts away on their own. Should have done better when put down the right himself as he failed to pick anybody out in the City box despite having plenty of options. Continued to try to drive Tottenham forward in the second half and came out of the game with plenty of credit. 7

and for the pure statisticians ...

OPTA - Spurs highest rated player - Sissoko
WhoScored
- Spurs joint highest rated player - Sissoko

The trouble with your opinion, as has been pointed out by so many so often, is that it just reflects overall what you think of the player, it has no bearing on the game he's just played ...

Sissoko was very probably our man of the match last night ... sorry if that upsets you view on him, sometimes you just need to suck it up ......

Give the lad a chance ... he's really not as bad as you believe .....

That is kind of how opinions work....

I made it abundantly clear that my opinion of Sissoko was personal. You are welcome to yours.

I wouldn't put too much stock by algorithm ratings. They have a use, but it's pretty basic. Whoscored's stat algorithm rating also says Lamela was the worse player for us last night. It also says Trippier is our joint second best outfield player this season and that our best player is Gazzaniga - oh, and Sissoko is 13th.

Plenty to suck up for everyone.

When people choose Sissoko over Son in XI's, then you just may as well give up.

Son, an actual trophy winner with 30 goals over past 2 season benched for Sissoko, as industrious as he has been for 2 games over 1½ years now and still gives the ball away like a deer in headlights.

Shit like that is how we stayed bottom- and midtable for the first 20 years I followed Spurs.

. Whoscored's stat algorithm rating also says Lamela was the worse player for us last night. It also says Trippier is our joint second best outfield player this season and that our best player is Gazzaniga - oh, and Sissoko is 13th.

Plenty to suck up for everyone.

And Henderson is world champion in xG penalty taking, despite being a fucking bottler.

I wish more "supporters" would watch and enjoy the football rather than read whoscored, opta and listen to talksport bullshit.

I am happy those kinds of data wasn't around in the great times of the double sides. Blanchflower would probably be worse in midfield than Jordan Henderson due to lack of xTackles, while Peters would probably lack Hazards number of xDribbles. And Mackay would be a hazard to his team due to xBookings and xSetpiecesconced and what else bollocks.

Lamela was the best until he missed a sitter and threw a strop after, but he did seem like the only one who had some balls first half which highlights a lack of grit

I'm just used to routines Joe.

BC would create a post match thread and you would immediately call him a cunt and tell him to fuck off back to . . . . is it glory-glory or SC?
Well I was hardly the only one. I think his beef is with Mick rather than me. Anyway, we’re both entitled to our opinions and these threads aren’t hurting anyone so it’s all good.

Back
Top Bottom