Manager roulette

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't remember the last time I read an article that didn't ignore so many issues, all of these lately have sounded a bit like newspaper articles - a view, but not one from someone who communicates a love, understanding or knowledge of the club - in my personal perception (or perhaps, opinion).

Two key points of what is a constant issue and touched upon in this and every other 'article' or thread on here:

No one bid £86m (or even £100m reportedly by United) for Suarez, Rooney. We got an extra season out of both Bale and Modric, so an extra season again probably wouldn't have killed him, but it wouldn't have convinced him.

Bear this, all ye who do not understand the Bale situation and gripe over it and can't move on. Suarez and Bale are not the same situation. Get over it.

Secondly, yes Guardiola had no experience. Arguably, it's easier to learn at Barca, but this is because Guardiola was a pupil of Barca and had discipline, respect and a certain je ne sais quoi bred into him.

Sherwood was a dick as a player and, unsurprisingly, is showing that he's one as a manager too. Sherwood and Guardiola are not the same.

Yes, we'd all love a club legend to be a manager, but it doesn't happen with English players. Sherwood is part of a long list that includes Ince, Pearce, Southgate, Gascoigne, Hoddle, Robson, Shearer, Adams, Merson, Barnes. We don't make Guardiolas as much as Greggs don't have a shot at a Michelin Star.

Secondly, yes Guardiola had no experience. Arguably, it's easier to learn at Barca, but this is because Guardiola was a pupil of Barca and had discipline, respect and a certain je ne sais quoi bred into him.

Sherwood was a dick as a player and, unsurprisingly, is showing that he's one as a manager too. Sherwood and Guardiola are not the same.

never thought about it this way, but its true. Pep was coached by Cruyff, then moved to Brescia where he played alongside R. Baggio and was managed by legend Mazzone. At Barca managing the B team he was deep in La Maisa and their philosophy. That is learning, developing and absorbing football knowledge.

Sherwood for all his passion/arrogance needs to learn his trade.

never thought about it this way, but its true. Pep was coached by Cruyff, then moved to Brescia where he played alongside R. Baggio and was managed by legend Mazzone. At Barca managing the B team he was deep in La Maisa and their philosophy. That is learning, developing and absorbing football knowledge.

Sherwood for all his passion/arrogance needs to learn his trade.

You read quotes about how being a player at Barca is like a school in itself. You never hear much of poor discipline and I think that echoes through into their players. Look at what Zlatan said about his team mates at barca, and what happened to him there as a person. Unless we implement a structure like that deep down, something I believe the 'class of 92' also had, we won't hit our potential peak.

Sherwood, unfortunately, is a guy who is hiding behind an ideology. People in the club apparently wanted to turn him into our manager, people on this forum (smaller amounts now than back then) want to get behind him and see him do well. Thing is, he was a bit of a nob back in his playing days, and he's no different now. On the evidence, what else did we, and can we, expect?

AVB we can all recognise suffered from a lack of self-awareness, the ability to see that it wasn't working and to change it around. Tim suffers from worse, for me - an inability to accept that he can be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom