Man Utd home - COYFS!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yesterday just shows why I fucking hate this fixture and generally give it a miss. At least if it was a Saturday I could've got pissed properly. Fuck it!

Thelonious said:
Yesterday just shows why I fucking hate this fixture and generally give it a miss. At least if it was a Saturday I could've got pissed properly. Fuck it!

We NEVER get a decision against them

regardless of the disallowed goal, which was a joke (aren't the rules of the game there to STOP a team receiving an unfair advantage?.....), how many fouls did Ferdinand get away with? - Literally every touch he had was proceeded by a foul

Blanchflower said:
Thelonious said:

We NEVER get a decision against them

regardless of the disallowed goal, which was a joke (aren't the rules of the game there to STOP a team receiving an unfair advantage?.....), how many fouls did Ferdinand get away with? - Literally every touch he had was proceeded by a foul
Exactly, then we collapse like cunts!

Sandro and Livermore bossed it, I was really impressed by their handling of the midfield. Like others have said, with no Bale, VDV or Parker it was always going to be tough. Defoe should have been brought on earlier but whatever. When I heard Bale wasn't playing I had already written off the 3 points.

What I'm really interested to hear from you lot is whether you thought Lennon was being ignored at all? He was clearly our best attacking threat going forward, even with being marked by two players. There were a couple of times when players - Walker in particular - tried a more risky pass even though Lennon was free on the wing. A quick one two (three) with him and maybe we could have created a lot more chances for Adebayor and Saha.

i have always felt lennon never gets the credit he is due. he isnt the best player in the world
but he is still a great player, him and ade yesterday were brilliant.
i felt there were a few times he was ignored but not to the point were it could have
possibly altered the game. we always looked the most dangerous when he was bring the ball forward.

If the Theo Walcott goals last weekend were my fault, I'd like to take credit for Defoe's strike.

Some United colleagues dragged me into the local Walkabout to watch the match and I felt mopey enough at 3-0 with too little time to equalise that I stopped watching and youtubed a certain Barry Manilow song instead, much to the delight of a few yids stood nearby. Defoe scored before Can't Smile... had finished.

I hope I'm forgiven and I promise never to slag goon players off again*

*for 180 or so minutes each season.

paddyspurs said:
What I'm really interested to hear from you lot is whether you thought Lennon was being ignored at all?
The only intelligible, grammatically correct string of sentences I managed to shout at my screen all match was, "SAHA, LOOK AT FUCKING LENNON! HE IS ALONE ON THE RIGHT!" At one point in the match, Windy remarked that he wouldn't mind seeing Lennon swing to the left side, and I had to remind the winfather that, in fact, Lennon was cutting in from the left when Adebayor scored.*

I had a Portuguese feed yesterday, and the announcers continually confused Lennon with (at least) Livermore and Saha. I felt so bad for him, especially since he's just trying to fit in (he's also growing his hair out, it seems) and be a little rocket of awesome.

* Goal disallowed for opaque reasons.

Said on twitter after the game, deflated but not defeated, or something like that.

We will bounce back from this. Believe.

FWIW, loads around me in block 46 fucked off early and I stayed even though it was fucking freezing and I was on my own. Whats just as bad is United fans were leaving with 15 minutes to go, from row 4 I could see over and into the PL lower and couldn't believe it. Long way back to Surrey eh? :harryfacepalm:

In a Spurs-Utd fixture from long ago, I remember Spurs fans singing to Utd fans; "HALF-HOUR TO GET HERE, IT TOOK YOU HALF-HOUR TO GET HERE..."

what I wanna know, is could anyone even be arsed to think of singing this yesterday...? or was it just too awful to contemplate at 0-3 down??

Just getting caught up with the thread. Went to sleep at 8:30p local time after drinking all day with the family and grumbling bitterly and largely incoherently beginning with the game and with regard to basically everything and anyone around me for the remainder of the day.

1. We lack the mental toughness to compete at the highest level -- right now. That's to be expected I suppose because that type of mental fortitude can only be learned by competing at the highest levels, which in the last few seasons we are beginning to do. On the plus side, at least this season we are beating the bad teams and losing to the good ones unlike last year. I wish I understood what sort of magic fairy dust Sir Alex sprinkles over his team that allows them to win every close game.

2. Are we a great attacking team? We are definitely great at attacking. We are also great at shooting. What we aren't so great at is actually scoring. I know that we were at or near the top of the league in total shots on target. I'd be curious to know what our total shooting percentage is compared to the rest of the league. We are averaging less than two goals per game

3. Saha. That's it, really. Just Saha. At the end of the game I see Adebayor continuing to fly all over the field and harrass defenders in spite of the deficit. That dude worked his ass off yesterday. I know many of you feel conflicted but I'm a big fan of the man. Meanwhile, Saha is just standing there. Conserving energy? Didn't see the point? I don't know. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Then JD comes on and BANG. Didn't need much help either, did he?

4. Lastly..."jap"? (Sorry Thelonius - had to do it). I'm confused.

Losing again to United was fucking painful but what gets me is the thought of Modric lining up in red against us next season. You know we're going to again be United's bitch in that transfer.

Éperons said:
paddyspurs said:
What I'm really interested to hear from you lot is whether you thought Lennon was being ignored at all?
The only intelligible, grammatically correct string of sentences I managed to shout at my screen all match was, "SAHA, LOOK AT FUCKING LENNON! HE IS ALONE ON THE RIGHT!" At one point in the match, Windy remarked that he wouldn't mind seeing Lennon swing to the left side, and I had to remind the winfather that, in fact, Lennon was cutting in from the left when Adebayor scored.*

Hmm, not strictly true! I said if Rafael were to come on for Jones, I'd like to see Lennon switch to the left (as Rafael is terrible defensively IMO).

Lennon is very effective when cutting in from the left - and even when hitting the touchline, as he did with style for the Adebayor "goal". He is generally a massively underrated player these days.

This might not be entirely relevant as each game has to be based on it's individual merits but if we can cope against United's midfield and attack for the most part comfortably and do so with Livermore (who continues to grow in stature) and Sandro (if he had played Sunday as he did yesterday I wonder if the result might have been different) then we have every reason to believe that the Woolwich game was anomaly and the United game was down to injuries, of course we defended like lepers and should have been clinical, then we should continue the season in the same confidence that has led us to third in the league.

If we are to continue playing 4-4-2 in van der Vaarts absence then Defoe has surely justified a start. 9 league goals and, whilst it sounds daft to say, despite his three goals Saha hasn't done a great deal else. I do have a soft spot for Jimmy even if he does have a 'see ball smash ball' mentality.

I refuse to be too downbeat after the last two games though and am convinced that we are Wembley bound and certain to finish in the top three.

By my own subjective analysis of the stats, Defoe appears to score approximately every 10.3 minutes he's on the pitch.

Seriously, how has he remained on the bench? I can understand if we are setting up with VDV on the field, but when we play a 4-4-2 why the fuck is Saha getting to start over Defoe? The Defoe of last season is long gone, and it is painful to see him ride pine all season patiently, only to see Saha show up and push him back. I don't understand it.

Back
Top Bottom