Man Utd home - COYFS!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've never left a game early in my entire life. If I pay for a ticket i'm going to watch every second.

CC game against Woolwich Wanderers last year where we lost 5-1, about 15,000 must have left early and then a wave of "Oh when the Spurs..." came up like a phoenix from the ashes. Gave me goosebumps, that's what being Spurs is about.

See how us pulling our pants down and letting United fuck us is so routine that the post match debate is about fans leaving early! Can't we just not play these cunts any more - we could call it a draw in return for saving them the plane fare.

I think we've got a good business deal going with Man Utd. Fergie says nice things about us and we give them 6 points a season + our best players as and when. What's not to like? :levystare:

Big Les Wade said:
Love to be in our changing room now. Seeing who could look me in the eye.
Most of the team put in good shifts, and everyone worked hard. Three individual mistakes doesn't mean our team should be embarrassed. Everyone played well today, but if we're to push on for the title next year we have to play better. Today was a performance the team could be proud of, but it still shows the gap between our quality and United's. Obviously there's not a huge gap because for large portions of the game we outplayed them. But we made simple defensive mistakes, and they largely didn't. That's the difference, and that should be encouraging. We have a great group of players, and there's nothing to be embarrassed or to knee-jerk about.

People really slating the players today? Wow....

Proud to say I'm one of the fans who stayed to the end, as I always do. And that wasn't easy in the positivity suck that is the West Stand Upper :sick:

Dr. Filth said:
But we made simple defensive mistakes, and they largely didn't.
Frankly, I think it's a bit simpler.

Fergie whispered to Rio, "whenever you get the ball, just boom it out for a corner. They're shit on set pieces!"

We had a lot of free kicks from great spots and a hatful of corners, and we did fuck all with all of them, except Benny's cheeky blast which was what... half a metre? less? from connecting?

When we were a goal down, a Man U fan I was, er, bantering with said I had no right to complain about being a goal down--Spurs were raining corners on fragile De Gea. I had to let her know that, in fact, not one of those corners was going to be at all troublesome for the young Spaniard. She said I was making typical Spurs underperforming excuses.

This is bewildering, though.

Yes, we scored off a corner in the fall--Bale's first goal of the season was off a corner (from Modrić, iirc?). Near post header, so basically the maximum length one of our corners can go. But outside of that…

Maybe I was grasping for straws late in the game bemoaning our set pieces, since it didn't look like any of the players were being inept. But that all ties in with the Harryness of our predicament. I just don't know what to do. Which is why it's good Levy doesn't pay me to know.

:levystare:

'most of the team' isn't good enough. Making enough mistakes to concede 8 goals in 2 games at this stage in the season isn't good enough. These aren't the habits of good teams. It's not knee jerk or embarrassment. It's the inevitability that kills me.

As much as the "we'll score one more than you" philosophy is very entertaining to watch, and we're good at the scoring part, we just need to tighten defensively. I seriously think if that defense was a bit more drilled and tight, and we didn't have these lapses in concentration, we'd have slaughtered teams this year and be at the top of the table.

xjta.png

Éperons said:
we suck at set pieces
I paraphrased what you were saying, so there wasn't a huge ass long blockquote.

Oh my god this pisses me off. Look at the pace and the curve on Ashley Young's corner as compared to Modric's corners or VDV's corners. I can't believe that both Modric and VDV are so god awful at set pieces. I know the rumor is that we don't practice set pieces at all, but even if that is true how can Modric not even get it over the first defender?

Having said all of that I don't think we can blame today's loss on set pieces. I think we would be greatly improved over the season if our set pieces were way better, but I don't think we can blame any one loss on it because it is difficult to predict when the set pieces will be pulled off especially against a team that has so much quality and good organization. I still think today comes down to 4 fuck ups. 1) Walker's poor marking on the first. 2) Modric falling asleep on the throw-in 3) Kaboul not closing down young 4) Saha's shit finishing on the disallowed goal. Despite I think Walker, Modric, and Kaboul all had very good games. None of them were lacking in any facet of the game. I'd argue Saha isn't up to snuff with the rest of the team and doesn't have enough quality to belong in a team that thinks they can/should win the title or beat United like we do. Those mistakes caused us to have to play catch-up to a very good team, and I don't care how good your team is, it's hard to play catch-up to United. Plus I'd say we only have 3 players on this team that can conjure up a goal: Modric, VDV, and Bale. We were missing two of those players, and we still played admirably today. Today was not last Sunday. There is no need to be disheartened. I'm over the :sad: Our squad is full of quality players, and I think they are ready to push on to solidify third and bring home some silverware. COYS

tl;dr Yeah we such at set pieces, but I don't think that's why we lost. Stupid mistakes got punished by a class team, but there's no reason to be down about it.

Yeah! I was hoping to be far more maudlin and sad, so that I could quit twitter, etc., and get some work done (said work: still being done).

But, instead, I messed about on the forum since, ultimately, we got outclassed, and that's not something it's worth getting all teary about. Considering the opposition's goals were against the run of play, even if we had gotten that first goal, it would have been faint succour. Man U pull goals out of hats. Its their infuriating charm.

Look guys you know how we have always said this season that-This is not the Tottenham of old.Well it is true.We have picked up points of teams when we usually dont.So what if we lost to big teams?You cant expect the change to happen radically.Give it some time.Maybe next season or next to next we'll surely set it right as we gain experience in CL.Also the wealth of talent we have in our squad we'll increase too.

Believe.

Anurag Jo said:
Cant believe the amount of people leaving the stadium early.Its a disgrace.

TBF with TFL deciding that they'd make it that extra little bit more painful to get home by cancelling the Victoria line I don't blame people for leaving early - I stayed to the end and then had to sit on the bus listening to Manc cunts put on pretend Mancunian accents talking about how they'd outplayed us for an hour.....

linnet_spur said:
People really slating the players today? Wow....

Proud to say I'm one of the fans who stayed to the end, as I always do. And that wasn't easy in the positivity suck that is the West Stand Upper :sick:

oooooh that's where I end up whenever I go (use my Dad's mates season tickets)

Yeah I feel the pain on that one, it's like a funeral up there at times.

Back
Top Bottom