Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do believe we've found a rival to Liverpool for the poor little victims -

Manchester City’s Troubled History with VAR

The first incident occurred on 20 February 2019 when Manchester City traveled to Schalke for the first leg of the Champions League Round of 16. During the match, full back Daniel Caligiuri danced at the top of the Manchester City box and unleashed a shot toward goal. His effort was blocked by City centreback Nicolás Otamendi and referee Carlos del Cerro Grande awarded Schalke a corner. After a review of the play via VAR, however, del Cerro Grande reversed his decision and awarded Schalke a penalty. According to VAR, the ball had struck Otamendi’s arm which was deemed to be in an unnatural position. City would go on to win the match 2-3, but many argued the Argentine could have done nothing to move his arm.

City would fall victim to another VAR decision just two months later in the second leg of the Champions League Quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur. Trailing 1-0 on aggregate, City knew they needed to come out strong. The Sky Blues would score an early goal, but Tottenham Hotspur then scored two goals in quick succession to take control of the tie. By the start of the second half, Manchester City were ahead 4-2 on the night and 4-3 on aggregate.

What transpired was the first of two unfavourable decisions against the club. During the 72 minute, Spurs won a corner. The ball was delivered into the box and striker Fernando Llorente sent the ball into City’s goal but replays showed he had handled the ball. To the surprise of many, VAR allowed the goal to stand and this led to a series of boos from the City supporters.

Minutes later, Manchester City believed they had won the game on aggregate in the 90+5 minute when City winger Raheem Sterling sent the ball past Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. To the dismay of the City fans, however, the goal was disallowed by VAR as Sergio Agüero was deemed to be offside. Some argued Christen Eriksen’s deflected backward pass should have played Agüero onside, but City lost on aggregate and were eliminated from the competition.
It's as if their game against Swansea never happened.......

Not a pen and 88th min winner was a yard offside.

Last edited:
First time I've heard anything positive said about Lamela's goal. In coms it was dominated by how undeserving we were to score. How shit Ederson's positioning was. How Lamela "didn't even get it into the corner of the goal".

Had De Bruyne scored that we wouldn't have heard the end of it, how he stroked it into the net whilst taking on and beating the entire midfield and forcing the defence to back off, whilst calmly picking his spot.

First time I've heard anything positive said about Lamela's goal. In coms it was dominated by how undeserving we were to score. How shit Ederson's positioning was. How Lamela "didn't even get it into the corner of the goal".

Had De Bruyne scored that we wouldn't have heard the end of it, how he stroked it into the net whilst taking on and beating the entire midfield and forcing the defence to back off, whilst calmly picking his spot.

Me and some mates couldn’t stop praising the genius of that goal I was surprised how it was just described as a pass into the net.

ECZh_HtWsAEP5mp

The sheer arrogance to put this up... unbelievable. I can only assume that the PR team at City didn't run this one by their owners before approving it.

Indeed..... A mega rich club that is; whom happily flaunts the rules on the declared basis that they can comfortably financially outgun the authorities when it comes to legal representation in court.

The club and in turn the fans believe they're beyond reproach.

The one thing they can't buy and they're up in arms.

Very interesting....

What did they say? Unavailable now

Finally got a chance to rewatch the game - They really were brilliant in forcing us back. Spurs playing backs against the wall wasn’t by design. We genuinely couldn’t get out and that’s a rarity for us.

City will play half as good as that and still smash a team 5-0 (West Ham the week before).

We were made to look bad but we still dug in for a point. Lloris made a few saves but only the deflected shot in the 2nd half I’d rank as top drawer.

Toughest away fixture and we get a point? I’m fine with that. It wasn’t a day for individual brilliance, just a needed the team to remain defiant and they demonstrated that.

From bluemoon, this might be the stupidest thing I have ever read:

"Sorry I'm a bit late joining this thread.

Is the game bent? Damn right it is.

I've got too much to say about it and not enough time or space on this page.

Okay, historically we had the established top four teams in the premier league: Rags, Chelsea, Woolwich and liverpool.
Everything was running smoothly while the filth were winning everything and dominating English football. The other two clubs Chelsea and Woolwich were happy to put in the occasional title challenge and Liverpool were well, Liverpool.

No one complained that the rags were ruining football and the lack of competition didn't seem to be an issue. In fact the other three clubs were quite happy to know their place and just qualify for the champions league every year.

Fast forward to 2008 and BOOM!

Crisis! What the fuck? The football fraternity were up in arms. " we can't have MCFC and their new foreign owners muscling in on the top four, this is a British institution don't you know".

Quick stop them... Financial fair play. That should do it?

No! That didn't work.

Fine them and put a restriction in place on their squad size to halt their progress

No! That didn't work.

Get V.A.R. in and scrutinise every goal they score while blatantly ignoring genuine penalties against them.

Look at the rags game against Wolves on Monday night is was fucking embarrassing. The prick with the graphics was trying desperately to adjust the lines on the screen to find a frame where the Wolves player was caught off side.

Where was financial fair play when the rags were winning everything?

Where was V.A.R when it was the same four teams going through to the champions league every year?

Why wasn't there a public outcry from the broadcasting media and football fraternity that Liverpool have never won the premier league? Where was the media support to engineer Liverpool to their first premier league title?

Is the premier league bent? You bet it is."

Back
Top Bottom