MacNamara's Band

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man United one...

They came down to Tottenham in 75 they went in the park lane the paxton and side
but the Tottenham were many and many to ruck and the great man utd got battered to fuck
too da loo too da loo and the great man utd got battered to fuck

Millwall 78
They put Millwall fc on bbc1
they told everybody that Tottenham would run
but the Tottenham were many too many to ruck
and the great Millwall fc got battered to fuck
too da loo too da loo and the great Millwall fc got battered to fuck

Chants are fun, but songs are where it's at!

Think I said as much in another thread too... Wish we'd drop the slow verse of "Oh When The Spurs"... Just means we never get as far as the shouty, call and response bit...

Just dug my DM's and Donkey Jacket out for Palace.

Hahaha.... I'd dug out some really natty early 90's training jacket thing I was gonna wear special for the occasion.

Alas no ticket; back into storage it goes. : (

EDIT: Can't find any pics, but it looks a bit like this crossed with an over-the-head version of the classic Nike rain jackets.

images

...It's beautifully disgusting! LOL

Hahaha.... I'd dug out some really natty early 90's training jacket thing I was gonna wear special for the occasion.

Alas no ticket; back into storage it goes. : (

EDIT: Can't find any pics, but it looks a bit like this crossed with an over-the-head version of the classic Nike rain jackets.

images

...It's beautifully disgusting! LOL
A bloke was wearing similar on Sunday.
It's definitely of a time,shall we say :)

Wish we would run out at the start of the game to gurcher by Chas and Dave, rather than that pretentious Star Wars crap.

Chas and Dave are Spurs. It’s something we can all sing along with. It’s upbeat but There’s some irony in it. It’s got our name in it.

A better Chas & Dave song would be "Ain't no pleasing you".

The one from the 1950's was.....(i wasn't around then thank you)

oh we are the Spurs supporters and we love to watch them play
we go to all the home games and all of those away
and with us supporters following them we know they must do right
we loudly cheer when they appear the lads in blue and white

We are very proud of our football ground it's known throughout the land
and whilst we wait for the game to start we listen to the band
(1970's version was and whilst we wait for the game to start we kill the other fans)
and when we see the teams come out you ought to hear the roar
we know it won't be long before the Spurs they start to score
la la la la la la la
I think this is the original full version it most come from after 1948 as it mentions the Spurs supporters Club
"We are spurs supporters and we love to watch them play
We go to all the home games and we go to those away
With us supporters following them we know they will do right
We loudly cheer when they appear,the lads in blue and white.
We're very proud of our football ground it's known throughout the land
And while we wait for the to start we listen to the band
And when we see the teams come out you should hear the roar
We know it won't be long before the Spurs they start to score
The ref his whistle proudly blows,the linesmen wave their flags
The Duke is ready to kick off as he hitches up his bags
We cheer Sonny Walters as he toddles down the line and the ball like magic is in the net and makes us all feel fine
There's Ronnie Burgess with his skill holding up the line
With Alf Bill Harry and Charlie way up there behind And not forgetting good old Ted whose hands are sure and strong And Eddie and The Leslie's who are always up-a-long
And when the the game is through we cheer the winners off the field and the gallant losers too.
The Cockerel proudly wags his tail,he gave the Spurs their name
In honour of the Lillywhites who always play the Game.
Now come on all you supporters and join our merry band
No matter what your age is,we'll take you by the hand
We'll pin a cockerel on your chest,it shows the world that we are Members of The Spurs Supporters Club.

Late 1960's

We hate Benny Fenton and the Millwall Den
We hate Charlton and the covered end
We took man united and we beat up the Kop
We are the Tottenham boot boys.

Old songs.
Loads in here!

Re Macnamara's Band, I feel like the club could have done something like having the words written up in an arty way on the some of the concourse walls, as part of the whole showing our heritage thing. Would help to get it better known and sung with the younger generation.

Old songs.
Loads in here!

Re Macnamara's Band, I feel like the club could have done something like having the words written up in an arty way on the some of the concourse walls, as part of the whole showing our heritage thing. Would help to get it better known and sung with the younger generation.
Could they could put the words up on the big screens when the teams come out ?

Old songs.
Loads in here!

I'll be honest, and I'm not sure whether I'm "younger generation" or not (I'm 38, but I'd like to think a "young" 38 :dembelelol:) but that song just sounds too cringy to want to sing these days. It obviously has its place in time, and it's nice that the club give a nod to that by playing it at the start of the second half, but I don't think most younger fans would ever embrace it because of how old fashioned it sounds.

No disrespect meant by this comment. It clearly means a lot to our older fans that have supported the club for years, but it's just not for me.

Old songs.
Loads in here!

Gimme a permanent marker then...

I think this is the original full version it most come from after 1948 as it mentions the Spurs supporters Club
"We are spurs supporters and we love to watch them play
We go to all the home games and we go to those away
With us supporters following them we know they will do right
We loudly cheer when they appear,the lads in blue and white.
We're very proud of our football ground it's known throughout the land
And while we wait for the to start we listen to the band
And when we see the teams come out you should hear the roar
We know it won't be long before the Spurs they start to score
The ref his whistle proudly blows,the linesmen wave their flags
The Duke is ready to kick off as he hitches up his bags
We cheer Sonny Walters as he toddles down the line and the ball like magic is in the net and makes us all feel fine
There's Ronnie Burgess with his skill holding up the line
With Alf Bill Harry and Charlie way up there behind And not forgetting good old Ted whose hands are sure and strong And Eddie and The Leslie's who are always up-a-long
And when the the game is through we cheer the winners off the field and the gallant losers too.
The Cockerel proudly wags his tail,he gave the Spurs their name
In honour of the Lillywhites who always play the Game.
Now come on all you supporters and join our merry band
No matter what your age is,we'll take you by the hand
We'll pin a cockerel on your chest,it shows the world that we are Members of The Spurs Supporters Club.
Love that :)

I'll be honest, and I'm not sure whether I'm "younger generation" or not (I'm 38, but I'd like to think a "young" 38 :dembelelol:) but that song just sounds too cringy to want to sing these days. It obviously has its place in time, and it's nice that the club give a nod to that by playing it at the start of the second half, but I don't think most younger fans would ever embrace it because of how old fashioned it sounds.

No disrespect meant by this comment. It clearly means a lot to our older fans that have supported the club for years, but it's just not for me.
I dunno, I think there's a good number of younger fans that would willingly embrace it for its old-fashioned-ness. Yes it is very different from the kinds of songs we have these days, but particularly in this shiny new stadium era it's very important to retain links to the past era.

I dunno, I think there's a good number of younger fans that would willingly embrace it for its old-fashioned-ness. Yes it is very different from the kinds of songs we have these days, but particularly in this shiny new stadium era it's very important to retain links to the past era.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's just not for me, but I don't speak for everyone

Back
Top Bottom