Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But instead of clicking disagree - do explain what do you mean. If that is his normal level then why has he only displayed it once?
hattricks are not the normal level for anyone. that doesn't make it a fluke. It not like they all went in off his arse.

theres a massive area between normal and fluke, not sure why it has to be one or the other.

hattricks are not the normal level for anyone. that doesn't make it a fluke. It not like they all went in off his arse.

theres a massive area between normal and fluke, not sure why it has to be one or the other.

2 against United & 3 against Huddersfield last year too....

You are right. There is distance between fluke and normal.

It is a scale

Normal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moura @Amsterdam>>Fluke

It is not 100% fluke, but on this scale, this is where it should be placed imo. But we don't always write everything out with thorough explanation. So as it is so close to being total fluke and so far from normal output, it's just easier to say it was fluke. It was like 50x closer to this as it was to his normal output.

You are right. There is distance between fluke and normal.

It is a scale

Normal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moura @Amsterdam>>Fluke

It is not 100% fluke, but on this scale, this is where it should be placed imo. But we don't always write everything out with thorough explanation. So as it is so close to being total fluke and so far from normal output, it's just easier to say it was fluke. It was like 50x closer to this as it was to his normal output.

if you're going to look at it that way, then any hattrick is x50 closer to fluke that it is to the norm. that goes for messi too.

the way i look at it is, a player that has a poor record in front of goal scores a hattrick, its a bit of a fluke, a player that has a history of knowing where the goal is, not so much a fluke.

Moura's averaged around 1 in 3 goals/game in the last three seasons. He's scored hattricks in that time. He's scored against top teams.

You're acting like he's John Jensen ffs.

The norm is basically how Moura has played since Amsterdam.

And he hasn’t scored any second half hattricks since, pretty far from it despite getting regular playing time under Mourinho.

Last edited:
The norm is basically how Moura has played since Amsterdam.

And he hasn’t scored any second half hattricks since, pretty far from it despite getting regular playing time under Mourinho.

Value for money he's been excellent. Tenacious, can pop up with a genuinely match changing performance when it clicks for him and still only 26. For £23m or so, a few million more than it cost Bournemouth for Solanke or Aston Villa Matt Targett etc I don't think we can have any complaints.

Not someone we can wholly rely on as a guaranteed starter but as a member of our squad across a 50-60 game season he's a great guy to have amongst the ranks. Forever a folklore legend with what he did last season, one of the best moments any Spurs fan of recent times has experienced.

Son and Lucas need to switch their position.

Lucas is better WF than CF, and Son can play CF position better than Lucas.
So simple, that even I know that. I know Jose hasn't seen our players perform as much as we have, but surely to goodness that should be so obvious to a seasoned coach.

So simple, that even I know that. I know Jose hasn't seen our players perform as much as we have, but surely to goodness that should be so obvious to a seasoned coach.

Not just that it should be obvious to a seasoned coach, but the players should have the guts to either a) bring it up with the coach, or b) just switch it up during the game, when they feel it would benefit us.

The coach puts the players out on the pitch, but he expects them to also come up with some ideas and such by themselves. This isn't the NFL, where there's a playbook, and the game is stopped every down, and there's basically one guy who decides what play is going to be made next. (Yes, I purposely oversimplified this for my argument)

With joining of Bergwijn I think Moura will be the one making/sharing room in terms of playing time.

However way you look at his stats, he is not good enough to be a starter.

Since Mourinho took over we have played 17 games (corresponds to 1530 minutes).
Moura has played IN EVERY SINGLE GAME of those. Total of 1247 minutes (whopping 81,5% of all possible minutes).
And what does he have to show for it? 4 goals and 1 assist. That means he has created goal once for 250 minutes.

And on top of that he does contribute very little. I agree he is working back to defense and puts in an effort. But he is not drawing defenders on him creating spaces for others, he is not playing smart through-balls to teammates, hell - mostly he is not even making reasonable decisions and running between flock of defenders, thinking he would dribble through them. Very simply and plainly - not good enough. Not even nearly there.

Just as comparison - Alli has getting a lot of stick from multiple sources of late. What are his figures? 1313 minutes, 6 goals, 2 assists. One goal involvement for every 164 minutes. Son (with bad form of late, suspension and all)? 1104 minutes, 4 goals 5 assists - goal involvement for 122 minutes. Plus both of them offer significantly more all-around impact and creativity to the table.

What if we take his whole time at the club? Well it does not get much better - rate increases to 182 min per goal. But it remains waaaay off from both Son and Dele (not to mention Kane) output.

Moura has been the weakest link. By a county mile.

I mean, it's not awful either. It's pretty clear his limitation is creating for others but he creates a decent amount of chances on his own. The more he plays the clearer it is though he's a super sub and not a starter.

Loses possession alot, awful pass completion and barely assists.

I mean, you can see why we've signed a younger improvement.

I agree that he is a super sub though.

I mean, it's not awful either. It's pretty clear his limitation is creating for others but he creates a decent amount of chances on his own. The more he plays the clearer it is though he's a super sub and not a starter.

Sorry, I agree with the 2nd part (of his potential role as super sub) but if you create so little yourself or contribute next to nothing into build-up then I could not say that "he creates a decent amount of chances on his own".

If your other aspects are as limited as his, you have to be able to produce more yourself. His goal vs Wolves was absolutely amazing. But in order to justify his involvement more, he should produce such goals more often. Right now we are getting too little from him to give him such amounts of playing time.

Good assist but there was a moment in the second half that summed him up for me

He must of run about 20 yards and won the ball off a city player around the half way line with son and dele further up the pitch in space , he then played an awful pass and gave it straight back to them

Works tirelessly but the quality just isn’t there most the time

Last edited:
Lucas Moura did the Firmino role very well today. Little touches to open spaces for others. Also the big effort in every game was there once again. Happy for him, the crucial goal was his

Back
Top Bottom