Lucas Moura – The Waiting Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First season in the Prem is always a learning curve.

He showed what he's capable of earlier in the season. I suspect he'll thrive under a more creative midfield behind him.

Will be an integral player, as he has been this season.

He's going to be another player that some people simply can't let go of their preconceived notions about him being this incredible South American Uber talent that will inevitability become a superstar. He'll be 27 at the start of next season, not 17! The player he is, is the player we're seeing. He's not a top level talent. He's had a few good moments but largely been disappointing. Might be worth keeping another season but we should be looking for alternatives.

I think we will rightly sell him if we can get our money back. He's chipped in with a few goals but he's never really looked like he belongs in this team. I see a clear understanding between Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen and Lamela. Lucas too often looks like he's just trying to look busy rather than having a clear understanding with his team mates.

He might have less talent but Chadli played better football with this team than Lucas has.

I think we will rightly sell him if we can get our money back. He's chipped in with a few goals but he's never really looked like he belongs in this team. I see a clear understanding between Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen and Lamela. Lucas too often looks like he's just trying to look busy rather than having a clear understanding with his team mates.

He might have less talent but Chadli played better football with this team than Lucas has.

Don't write Lucas off just yet, he's the kind of player that when it clicks he could come good. The Premier League is so physical and he's adjusting to a new role.

He's got a good attitude, no reason to think he won't hit a purple patch like Sonny did after a while with us as well as Sissoko.

He's light but he was playing in a poor French league up until recently, give him time to find his rhythm and to get used to our style of play.

He's still only started 19 games for us in the Premier League, give him a chance to find a genuine groove once the moment and time is right.

A decent squad player, overall haven't been very impressed with him so far, seems to lack a bit of a football brain.

I just think he needs to find a rhythm with his teammates during games. You don't win near on 40 caps for Brazil if you haven't got something about you. Is it trying too hard? Overplaying because he's keen etc only time will tell but I have faith that when it calms down for him he'll add a fair old amount of value to the squad and we'll see much more class and cleverness from Lucas. He has so much ability that it would be a great shame if he doesn't start rising like the cream always does. I think he's trying too hard, he's class but the way the ball bounces off of him isn't a fair reflection of his skill and quality. Plenty more to come from him, there's far more in the bag

Not going to lie, I think he's been mostly shit.

It IS his first year in the country though and we've seen many players turn it around after a difficult first year but I always thought he was more of a Levy signing due to price as opposed to signing Malcom (which I assumed might have been Pochs preferred choice, just more expensive).

I think a lot of people give him a pass because of the low centre of gravity aesthetics of his game though, which people love. Happy with the 3 goals against Man Utd and Barcelona, two massive results. No doubt about it. Sadly though, he's also only scored 3 goals in our last 20 league games.

I do see a lot of people moaning about Poch not bringing him off the bench at times, but he doesn't tend to actually do much when coming off the bench. I've said plenty of times that Lucas and Lamela need upgrading and I always see people berate Pochettino for bringing Lamela on over him, but ultimately it's been proven that Lamela is a better option off the bench through way of goals and assists. Here are the stats this season in the league:

Lucas when coming off the bench:
Played: 6
Goals: 0
Assists: 0

Lamela when coming off the bench:
Played: 10
Goals: 2
Assists: 2

I do find it odd though that despite starting our opening 12 games. He's only started 5 of our last 17 games. So I don't know whether Poch has simply lost patience with him and he's out of favour or Pochettino is happy to persist with the diamond formation (or 3 at the back) where Lucas doesn't really fit in due to Son and Kane.

Was happy with his flashes at the start of the season but was hoping to see more consistency as the season goes on, especially as he had half of last season to bed in and get adjusted. At the moment i'd rather see Lamela start/come on first over him.

He does have skill but it’s not frequent enough at the moment. The volley in the first leg against Dortmund was a bit of skill that I don’t think anyone else on the team could have pulled off.

What scares me is his first touch. It makes sons look good

He's going to be another player that some people simply can't let go of their preconceived notions about him being this incredible South American Uber talent that will inevitability become a superstar. He'll be 27 at the start of next season, not 17! The player he is, is the player we're seeing. He's not a top level talent. He's had a few good moments but largely been disappointing. Might be worth keeping another season but we should be looking for alternatives.
Lamela is pretty fucking great.

Back
Top Bottom