Lost Games - Really?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the fascination with the amount of games we have lost?

Winning is the name of the game, last time I looked we had won 23 in the league, that puts us 3rd in the league on wins, draws and losses are not what we should be judged on.

The more games you lose the fewer points you have. The team with the most points wins the league.
And drawing games with fellow top 6 sides doesn't just earn a few extra points/show a mark of quality, it also denies them a 3 point victory.

giphy.gif

The thing is our current position proves my point lol, we are 3rd on merit, we have won more than the teams behind us.

Liverpool have lost less games than City but I suspect City will win the league due to the amount of games they have won.

Losses are not important.

Just don't draw many and win loads and you will do ok.

If we drew with Bournemouth, Burnley & Southampton then we would have sealed top 4. But in general you want to be a tough to beat sort of team.

I get that mate, just people have lost the plot, you could say ...

If we had not lost those 13 games we would be top of the league, we can't say that, think we deserve credit for where we are currently in a testing year for the club, we are still in charge of our own destiny at the end of the day.

I get that mate, just people have lost the plot, you could say ...

If we had not lost those 13 games we would be top of the league, we can't say that, think we deserve credit for where we are currently in a testing year for the club, we are still in charge of our own destiny at the end of the day.
We would still be quite a way off the top of the league if we had drawn all 13 actually.
But yeah, at the end of the day the total points is the most important thing. But ideally you don't want to be such a beatable team where most teams fancy their chances against you.

Whats the fascination with the amount of games we have lost?

Winning is the name of the game, last time I looked we had won 23 in the league, that puts us 3rd in the league on wins, draws and losses are not what we should be judged on.

If we had drawn two of the 13 in the league that we lost, then top 3 would be assured now. We won't really challenge for the league title losing that many games.

I think we've lost 19 games this season.

We lost 20 games combined through 2016/2017 and 2017/2018.

And we still have potentially 3 games left.

We are 3rd because we've won more games than anyone not named Man City and Liverpool. But we haven't sealed top four because we've lost more games than anyone in the top 7.

I think we've lost 19 games this season.

We lost 20 games combined through 2016/2017 and 2017/2018.

And we still have potentially 3 games left.

We are 3rd because we've won more games than anyone not named Man City and Liverpool. But we haven't sealed top four because we've lost more games than anyone in the top 7.
It’s almost as if the two, together, have some sort of correlation on our total points and position?!
:chadliwtf:

There are some games where a draw feels like a loss but for anyone passionate about supporting Spurs any loss is hurtful and to lose so many matches this season is bad. You say we are 3rd in the league but that only counts if we are there next Sunday evening which is in doubt with our inability to score without Son and Kane.

On the total AIDS holocaust that is the Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur group on Facebook dickheads were saying Poch has to go because we've lost more games than Wolves.

I refuse to believe they are not just fans of rival clubs trolling.

Overall points is the most important thing by a mile (not that we have a particularly high points total), but let’s not act like losses are to be ignored. Losing hurts the team’s confidence (which is evident now), hurts the fans, and quite frankly 13 league losses is embarrassing for a team that at one stage was in a title race. You want to be hard to beat, I don’t want Bournemouth playing us and knowing they have a good chance of winning.

13 defeats is a poor stat for a team chasing a top four spot and allegedly a title at one point you cant hope to win a title losing that amount, we have got lucky because utd and Woolwich have been off their game otherwise this would have seen us probably in 6th spot.

Last edited:
13 defeats is a poor stat for a team chasing a top four spot and allegedly a title at one point you can hope to win a title losing that amount, we have got lucky because utd and Woolwich have been off their game otherwise this would have seen us probably in 6th spot.
Granted 13 defeats isn’t great, but anything over 70pts normally puts any club in with a chance of top 4, and that’s where we are, doesn’t really matter how many WDL you have to get there.
As for Utd & Woolwich being off their game, I’d say they are right on their game, Utd were complete garbage, Ollie came in and they went on a little glory run before going back to being complete garbage, they say “form is temporary but class is permanent” well in their case “form was temporary but being shit is permanent” Woolwich are Woolwich, I’d say they are the worst team in the top 6, a team who’s cracks are covered over by their two 100+m strikers. We bemoan our transfer dealings, or lack off the past year, but I’d rather that than Woolwich’s transfer policy, they throw good money after good money away on donkeys, at least we have stopped doing that....When all is said and done the table doesn’t lie after 38 games and teams finish where their points total say they should finish.

Granted 13 defeats isn’t great, but anything over 70pts normally puts any club in with a chance of top 4, and that’s where we are, doesn’t really matter how many WDL you have to get there.
As for Utd & Woolwich being off their game, I’d say they are right on their game, Utd were complete garbage, Ollie came in and they went on a little glory run before going back to being complete garbage, they say “form is temporary but class is permanent” well in their case “form was temporary but being shit is permanent” Woolwich are Woolwich, I’d say they are the worst team in the top 6, a team who’s cracks are covered over by their two 100+m strikers. We bemoan our transfer dealings, or lack off the past year, but I’d rather that than Woolwich’s transfer policy, they throw good money after good money away on donkeys, at least we have stopped doing that....When all is said and done the table doesn’t lie after 38 games and teams finish where their points total say they should finish.
Look the important thing is that we have got over the line and the intially the Everton game was important than Wednesday night because that guaranteed top four spot for next year.
In the highly unlikely event of winning the CL this was by far the best option and we have achieved that do job done.

Number of games won is the most important thing, if we spent all our time being preoccupied with avoiding defeat we'd draw loads more games, but not enough to compensate for the wins we wouldn't pick up because of the more cautious approach.

Last edited:
Only thing that matters in the league is points dropped. 3 draws is the same as 2 losses at the end of the day.

We've dropped 41 points this season. Doesn't matter if that's 1 draw and 13 losses or 19 draws and 1 loss.

Liverpool have lost 1 match all season and City have lost 4 - only people pointing that out like it matters are delusional dippers clinging to their best losers mentality.

After 26 games this season we had 60 points. 2.31 points per game. 1960-61 31-4-7 (3 pts for a win)=2.31 ppg.
If we beat Everton it will be the 5th best ppg in our history. 3rd best ppg in the EPL.
We have great players and it's been a great season. It's sad that injuries stopped it from being even greater.

Back
Top Bottom