Look up not down

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to start this with a confession. I wanted A*****l to score at the end of the game against Citeh. In fact, I wouldn't have minded had they won.

Why?

Because, simply put this is the best Spurs team I've ever seen (supporter since that wonderful April day in '91) and I don't think we'll ever have a better chance of winning this league. I know we might get stronger as a team over the coming years if we nail CL football consistently but more to the point is that our rivals in the top 6, barring Man City, are either a mess or in a transitional state. Liverpool have a load of Championship players and a couple of good players, Chelsea are fat, slow and most of their players are older than their manager, Utd have no creativity and the other lot are Benny's left boot through the Rapist's ankle away from a relegation battle.

My point is this - I'm not scared of any other team in this league, I don't think they have the squad or the players THIS SEASON to mount a relentless title challenge as they may have in previous years and as such Man City are the only team we should be worrying about. And if A*****l had beaten City on Sunday, as Chelsea did on Monday, I'd be confident that they would fuck it up somewhere further along the line and drop those same three points (Chelsea at Wigan is the prime example) and I'm confident we'll deal with the scum in February anyway.

I know it's hard as we've spent years looking over our shoulder trying to break into the top 4, of trying to get to the level of A*****l and believe me I'm not normally wanting them to score. Ever. But what would hurt them more? Losing to City 1-0 (and claiming a great, valliant performance from their "heroes") or seeing Spurs win the league in May while they're scrapping with Liverpool for a Europa League place?

I know which I'd prefer, which is why I'd be happy to have them celebrate a draw, or a victory like they've won the fucking Quadruple safe in the knowledge that it's taken us, the mighty Tottenham Hotspur FC a step closer to winning a league title.

It's time to start looking up and not down. I believe.

Good post.

I am now of the mind set that who cares what the rest do, let them worry about us and not the other way round. We are masters of our own desinty.

paulhasissues said:
who cares what the rest do, let them worry about us and not the other way round. We are masters of our own desinty.

massively agree with this. The equation's simple, if we win as many of our games as possible we'll do as well as we can and with this team that should mean finishing in the top4 and hopefully competing for something like the FA Cup or maybe even the title to a certain degree.

I want to win the FA Cup an unhealthy amount.

I also meant to say...so what if we aim for the league and fall short? We finish 3rd? I'd take that as an "echo of glory" any time!

That is true, but I take great delight in Woolwich losing. And every time that happens we're more likely to qualify for the CL, but more importantly, finish above them...

thedutchman said:

I also meant to say...so what if we aim for the league and fall short? We finish 3rd? I'd take that as an "echo of glory" any time!

Finishing in the top 4 every season without any silverware to show for it means jack shit. Just ask those scummy cunts down seven sisters road

kushty said:
thedutchman said:

Finishing in the top 4 every season without any silverware to show for it means jack shit. Just ask those scummy cunts down seven sisters road
From a personal standpoint, I'd rather win silverware than finish in the top 4. However, for us to grow, top 4 is a higher priority. I fucking hate it.

Putting aside how funny it is to watch Woolwich lose and the inevitable Wenger moaning interview afterwards which is always comedy gold, I always will want Liverpool, Ar**nal and Chelsea to lose. This is because I feel they are the teams we are competing with for 3rd and 4th. If we end up getting loads more points than them and end up in March/April being right alongside United and City, then brilliant, but until then I will always be supporting United or City when they play against one of Liverpool, Woolwich or Chelsea.

Thelonious Filth said:
Dru said:
Would you rather win the FA Cup or finish 3rd and a***nal 5/6th?
where a***nal finish has no bearing on anything. I'd rather win the cup. Just a personal standpoint.

It does for some people (Flav)

I am actually worried about Woolwich, they have been playing bloody well especially considering they lost their two best players in the summer and they have had loads of injuries recently.

Imagine we lost Modric and VDV, then Walker and BAE got injured...and then Rose and Charlie too.

We'd be shit.

Dru said:
Thelonious Filth said:
Dru said:
where a***nal finish has no bearing on anything. I'd rather win the cup. Just a personal standpoint.

I am actually worried about a***nal, they have been playing bloody well especially considering they lost their two best players in the summer and they ahve had loads of injures recently.

Imagine we lost Modric and VDV, then Walker and BAE got injured...and then Rose and Charlie too.

We'd be shit.
What, all at the same time?

No need to worry about our boys getting injured. We had loads of injuries when we finished 4th, other players will step up. We're not as dependent on some of these individual players half as much as people think.

The scum have got a siege mentality at the moment, the return of Vermaelen is another factor in their recent upturn in form as well.

Dru said:
Thelonious Filth said:
Dru said:

I am actually worried about a***nal, they have been playing bloody well especially considering they lost their two best players in the summer and they have had loads of injuries recently.

We'd be shit.

but we wouldn't if we had one of, if not the best striker in the world. I rate him so highly. Without him they'd be struggling at mid table at best. However, they should never be counted out and it was foolish for so many to do so at the beginning of the season. They'll be there or thereabouts as always.

With regards to the original question, if I saw any sign of ambition when we first got into the CL then I'd take that over a cup again because in theory it would mean more investment, a better team and trophies to follow but as I saw no ambition whatsoever I don't see much changing this summer if we were to get top4 again so I'd take the FA Cup if I could only choose one.

I think Woolwich are doing so well beacuse of the way they play, all their players are very comfotable on the ball and adept at moving the balla round very quickly.

When I said we'd be shit if we lost Modric VDV and then all our full backs got injured, yes, at the same time. Like Woolwich have lost Fabregas and Nasri, then Sagna, Gibbs, Jenkinson and Santos all got injured.

Then again, I suppose we would have a back 4 of Bassong, Gallas, King (if fit) Kaboul. Not bad but we'd be superfucked if anyone else got injured....

I don't think us losing all those players at the same time will ever happen. I don't think we'd necessarily be fucked, we'd play a bit more narrow but we'd still be competitive.

Thelonious Filth said:
I don't think us losing all those players at the same time will ever happen. I don't think we'd necessarily be fucked, we'd play a bit more narrow but we'd still be competitive.

Im not suggeting it would, just that its annoying Woolwich keep losing their best players and they always seem to be OK. Cunts.

Anyway, lets look up, best chance we've had in years of finisning top 3, maybe even 2.

Dru said:
Thelonious Filth said:

Im not suggeting it would, just that its annoying a***nal keep losing their best players and they always seem to be OK. Cunts.

Anyway, lets look up, best chance we've had in years of finisning top 3, maybe even 2.
BELIEVE

Thelonious Filth said:
Dru said:
Thelonious Filth said:

Im not suggeting it would, just that its annoying a***nal keep losing their best players and they always seem to be OK. Cunts.

BELIEVE

spurs_1703665c.jpg

football_tottenham_hotspur_v_wigan_athletic_barclays_premier_league_white_hart_lane_10_11_28_8_10_tottenham_players_huddle_before_the_match_mandatory_credit_action_images_lee_mills_no_online_internet_use_without_a_licence_from_the_football_data_co_ltd_for_licence_enquiries_please_telephone_and44_0_207_5540533.jpg

Back
Top Bottom