Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday 4 Feb. 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From a corner kick would be an obvious one because doesn't it count as the goal line and the fact technically the ball can't be played forward?

Not really, I thought about that too, but it could be that the ball is placed as far to the left of the "D" as possible:

stock-photo-soccer-football-on-corner-kick-line-of-ball-and-a-soccer-field-football-field-background-texture-672571363.jpg

Today, the ball is barely in the "D" so you could get another 40cm to the left in that picture.....
If all the defenders are lined up on the 6yrd box marking up, you could have one player right on the byline on the edge of the 18yrd box and the ball played diagonally forward to him.

The worrying thing is this is a perfectly legal move, yet I bet 9 out 10 times it would be flagged offside, and if it wasnt, and led to a goal, you would have all the nonsense we are having now, by people who dont know the rules.

I also dont get the "deliberate" thing.

If a player is standing in an offside position, and his team mate kicks the ball away from the goal (back up the pitch towards his goal) but it smacks off a defender, goes the other way and puts his player through on goal, why the fuck should that be given as offside??

It came off the defender, who cares if he meant it.

Hacket :

'' In my view, however, Lovren did not play the ball deliberately if he had been, the ball would have been cleared upfield so it should have been immediately ruled offside. ''

Those comments are just embarrassing, has he gone senile or maybe suffering with something else ?
And I'm asking this seriously, that comment would be hilarious if it wasn't meant to be a considered view .

In my view Dier did not play the ball deliberately in the 3rd minute as if he did it would have reached a Spurs player. Therefore offside.

Not really, I thought about that too, but it could be that the ball is placed as far to the left of the "D" as possible:

stock-photo-soccer-football-on-corner-kick-line-of-ball-and-a-soccer-field-football-field-background-texture-672571363.jpg

Today, the ball is barely in the "D" so you could get another 40cm to the left in that picture.....
If all the defenders are lined up on the 6yrd box marking up, you could have one player right on the byline on the edge of the 18yrd box and the ball played diagonally forward to him.

The worrying thing is this is a perfectly legal move, yet I bet 9 out 10 times it would be flagged offside, and if it wasnt, and led to a goal, you would have all the nonsense we are having now, by people who dont know the rules.

Are offsides ever given from corners? I must admit I've never really paid much attention to it. Is the linesman really trying to look to see if the ball is 'played forward' from a corner to a player in an offside position? does an in swinger count as a forward pass or a backward pass? :sonhmm:

I must admit my first assumption would be that it doesn't matter where the ball is played from in the 'd' as it all technically counts as the goal line.

From a corner kick would be an obvious one because doesn't it count as the goal line and the fact technically the ball can't be played forward?

There are certain scenarios where people get confused, like for example if the keeper comes out and gets stranded in front of the ball, I think I'm correct in thinking that in this scenario even if there's a defender between you and the goal you can still be offside (defender replaces keeper as the last man). People often forget the keeper is the last man( two people required between you and the goal line to avoid offside).

I think also a lot of people fail to understand you can't be offside if the ball deflects off a defender, although 'interfering with play' has removed a lot of those calls from the game (not the other night though, Lovren lol).

The other thing that often confuses refs and spectators alike is the attacker who passes the ball to himself, the pass was never intended for a teammate. I once saw Chris Waddle get penalised for this when all he was trying to do was a clever little push and run. Waddle did the defender like a kipper but there was a teammate (can't remember who) in the vicinity and the ref blew.
In those days would it not haha been offside regardless of if he passed to him? Thought it was black or white offside rather than interference or intent, if you were in an offside position and the ball goes forwards you are offside?

In those days would it not haha been offside regardless of if he passed to him? Thought it was black or white offside rather than interference or intent, if you were in an offside position and the ball goes forwards you are offside?
Yeah but only if a pass is made, I think that if you were just running through then it's not a pass... what Kristeva was saying was that Waddle pushed it forwards like Bale used to, in order to run onto it himself, not strictly a pass so not offside even before the interfering-with-play era

Are offsides ever given from corners? I must admit I've never really paid much attention to it. Is the linesman really trying to look to see if the ball is 'played forward' from a corner to a player in an offside position? does an in swinger count as a forward pass or a backward pass? :sonhmm:

I must admit my first assumption would be that it doesn't matter where the ball is played from in the 'd' as it all technically counts as the goal line.
You cannot be offside from a corner, no matter where in the D the ball is placed. Nothing to do with playing sideways, it's just a rule, same as throw-ins and goal kicks.

If a player is standing in an offside position, and his team mate kicks the ball away from the goal (back up the pitch towards his goal) but it smacks off a defender, goes the other way and puts his player through on goal, why the fuck should that be given as offside??

Your scenario doesn't make sense

It’s not offside anyway, as the attacking player played it backwards.

I think the problem with this particular incident at the weekend was people like Clattenburg just being thick. He seems to think deliberate means he deliberately passed to Kane, not that he deliberately touched the ball.

Of course he didn’t mean to pass to Kane, but if he didn’t mean to play the ball, what the hell was he doing?

It’s not offside anyway, as the attacking player played it backwards.

Yes but the rules state if the last player the ball comes off is a defender it must be a deliberate effort on his part.
If the attacker kicks it backwards is irrelevant because the ball went forward off the defender. Yet if it's a deflection, it's clearly not a deliberate kick.

That makes it offside, which I think is ridiculous.

I will also add that Kane was miles offside from the initial pass before Lovren touched it.
Baffled why the complaints haven't been about that. Odd to say he wasn't interfering in the first passage of play.

There’s a famous quote, from a manager of repute, Bill Nic, Shankly, Busgy, or someone that if you aren’t interfering with play, you shouldn’t be on the pitch.

By the laws of the game, Kane was onside for that goal, but as Jenas said on MOTD, it is not an ideal law. Its open to interpretation in, like handball, the act must be deliberate. Who is to know for a fact what someone has done deliberately or not? Also, by just being behind Lovren, Kane interfered with play, as Lovren may not have played the ball had Kane not been there.

But we got the decision and they didn’t so all good for me. I’d be upset if it had happened at the other end though.

Back
Top Bottom