Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday 4 Feb. 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hacket :

'' In my view, however, Lovren did not play the ball deliberately if he had been, the ball would have been cleared upfield so it should have been immediately ruled offside. ''

Those comments are just embarrassing, has he gone senile or maybe suffering with something else ?
And I'm asking this seriously, that comment would be hilarious if it wasn't meant to be a considered view .
That will be the Lovren who was at full stretch trying to cut out the pass to Kane. If that was accidental what was he doing - lunges to pass the time between attacks?

They've been checking the tv for years isn't that how Zidane got sent off for nutting that Italian?

Its enough with goal line tech....if the ref is going to stop the game for 3 minutes everytime a team throws their toys out the pram, the game is ruined.
If he is going to run to the tv because he doubts his own ability, then we may as well do away refs and have a panel.

Not my cup of tea, just adds to the modern sterile version of football most people hate.

As proven in the Liverpool WBA game, it only favours the big clubs anyway otherwise Salah would have been booked for diving.

Last edited:
When fouled by some ne'er-do-well from the opposition, I would simply pull a leather glove from one's shorts and slap the cad about the face. For serious foul play I would offer the gentleman's challenge of a duel at dawn. Swords being the weapon of choice.
Oiks.

Pistols for me!

Antique of course

Never Mind the Bollocks

I guess you had to be there. The guy in question wasn't manhandled or roughed up, but it would be a lie to suggest that he knew he was getting an emergency hair cut. It was all part of a skit at an end of course piss up

An ex brother in law of mine was a Bootneck

Complete arsehole

I was so upset he made it back from the Falklands

Hacket :

'' In my view, however, Lovren did not play the ball deliberately if he had been, the ball would have been cleared upfield so it should have been immediately ruled offside. ''

Those comments are just embarrassing, has he gone senile or maybe suffering with something else ?
And I'm asking this seriously, that comment would be hilarious if it wasn't meant to be a considered view .
I love how he doesn't even consider the possibility that Lovren is just a bad player.

I wonder how many people knew this:
Law 11 - Offside

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

I certainly didnt other than the throw in
I didn't know the corner kick one because it is already on the goal line. Although it makes sense if the ball is half a yard up from the goal line. Never thought about it.

Goal kick one has blown my mind. I always thought you could be.

I wonder how many people knew this:
Law 11 - Offside

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

I certainly didnt other than the throw in

From a corner kick would be an obvious one because doesn't it count as the goal line and the fact technically the ball can't be played forward?

There are certain scenarios where people get confused, like for example if the keeper comes out and gets stranded in front of the ball, I think I'm correct in thinking that in this scenario even if there's a defender between you and the goal you can still be offside (defender replaces keeper as the last man). People often forget the keeper is the last man( two people required between you and the goal line to avoid offside).

I think also a lot of people fail to understand you can't be offside if the ball deflects off a defender, although 'interfering with play' has removed a lot of those calls from the game (not the other night though, Lovren lol).

The other thing that often confuses refs and spectators alike is the attacker who passes the ball to himself, the pass was never intended for a teammate. I once saw Chris Waddle get penalised for this when all he was trying to do was a clever little push and run. Waddle did the defender like a kipper but there was a teammate (can't remember who) in the vicinity and the ref blew.

Hacket :

'' In my view, however, Lovren did not play the ball deliberately – if he had been, the ball would have been cleared upfield – so it should have been immediately ruled offside. ''.

Well in my view then Keith, Sterling didn't play the ball deliberately against Burnley, otherwise he'd have scored that open goal from 2 yards out

Tosspot

Actually the laws specifically state that playing the ball deliberately is not the same as the ball going where the player intended.

(put your coffee down now in the interests of your keyboard's safety)

BBC Sport advent calendar: Swiss player scores probably the best own goal you'll ever see

Defender Yaser Abdullah Al Juneibi scores stunning own goal in the Arabian Gulf League

All academic now, of course, but given Kane's position when Dele made the pass, would the goal have stood if, rather than slice the ball into Kane's path, he'd sliced it back over Karius and into the net?

Back
Top Bottom