Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur. Sunday 4 Feb. 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd definitely set up to counter. They might be worse than us as far as breaking down teams that park the bus. That said, they can also give a team the dick real quick like us. Set up for the counter, trust the defense and grab a nice relatively low scoring win.

I wouldn't change the line-up tbh, they all played great last night, I think it's more of how we gonna set-up, aka try and press them or sit back and counter.

Need to sit deep and hit them on the break as we did at home, they only have one way I play and we have proven before we can win against them. Maybe to soon for Moura to start but him and Son on the wings would be perfect for this game

Tough game,no doubt about it.And after the way we steamrollered em at Wembley ,they will want revenge.
But i think the same team as last night is more than a match for them.
Interesting that we have been bemoaning our injuries,yet many(myself included) now saying keep the same team.
Which is a good thing.

I'll just throw this here....

From RAWK

Liverpool v Spurs, Anfield - Sunday 4 Feb 2018. KO 16.30

Something sticks in my craw when I hear Tottenham described as a ‘big club’. They’re not a big club. They’re a very decent team at the moment and they can draw 50,000 to Wembley when they play the likes of Stoke and West Brom, but that doesn’t make them a big club. Big clubs win Titles and do so across several decades. They have a tradition of success. Everton are a Big Club it pains me to say. Tottenham aren’t. My mate Paul supports Spurs and right now he’s cockerel-a-hoop, so I have to keep reminding him that his club have never won the Title in my lifetime – and I’m extremely old.

I saw the fixture earlier in the season. The 4-1 thing at Wembley. We had over 70 per cent of the possession which, as PoP will tell you, means we couldn’t win the match. But to lose by that score? That was unusual. Admittedly Dejan Lovren had a pantomime match (“he’s behind you!”) and their goalie made our goalie look even more flaky than he actually is, but it was noticeable how Spurs struggled to string three consecutive passes together for most of the game. On the break they were different. Like us in fact. Son, in particular, looked as if he’d been coached up by Klopp himself. And of course Harry Kane just needs a sight of goal and the shot is despatched. Personally I couldn’t care less whether both Bello and Bradley both baldly lied, I’d like to see Harry Kane in gaol.

But, hey, this is Anfield and Tottenham don’t like Anfield. We’ve only lost once since that Wembley calamity too – and that was to the best team in Wales. So I’m expecting a 4-1 to us this time. Sure, Tottenham are on a roll themselves at the moment. They pissed all over Man United last night, although they struggled against a better organised Newport at the weekend. Paul tells me that it will be a comfortable victory for his team, but he’s said that on every single occasion that Spurs have visited Anfield since I’ve known him. And I’ve known him since 1984. They’re like that, Tottenham fans. Utterly deluded. It’s a great thing to be since you always come up smiling even when the rest of the world knows you’re bonkers.

Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur - Anfield

They'll perform almost identically to how they did at home to City. Literally look to choke us out. They've absolutely hammered us at Anfield in recent years because we haven't been able to cope with their speed and aggression.

Id be willing to have us honestly just sit back and counter here. Like we did against Dortmund. It'll frustrate them. Frustration causes mistakes. On the counter we are dangerous but it's going to be one hell of a game. Important we don't lose.
Same here, we need the right game plan. They usually beat us there and will be very focused on not fucking yo in defence like earlier in the season. We must be wary and focused. Counter, quick transition, they don't like balls over the top or behind their defence.

From RAWK

Something sticks in my craw when I hear Tottenham described as a ‘big club’. They’re not a big club. They’re a very decent team at the moment and they can draw 50,000 to Wembley when they play the likes of Stoke and West Brom, but that doesn’t make them a big club. Big clubs win Titles and do so across several decades. They have a tradition of success. Everton are a Big Club it pains me to say. Tottenham aren’t. My mate Paul supports Spurs and right now he’s cockerel-a-hoop, so I have to keep reminding him that his club have never won the Title in my lifetime – and I’m extremely old.

I saw the fixture earlier in the season. The 4-1 thing at Wembley. We had over 70 per cent of the possession which, as PoP will tell you, means we couldn’t win the match. But to lose by that score? That was unusual. Admittedly Dejan Lovren had a pantomime match (“he’s behind you!”) and their goalie made our goalie look even more flaky than he actually is, but it was noticeable how Spurs struggled to string three consecutive passes together for most of the game. On the break they were different. Like us in fact. Son, in particular, looked as if he’d been coached up by Klopp himself. And of course Harry Kane just needs a sight of goal and the shot is despatched. Personally I couldn’t care less whether both Bello and Bradley both baldly lied, I’d like to see Harry Kane in gaol.

But, hey, this is Anfield and Tottenham don’t like Anfield. We’ve only lost once since that Wembley calamity too – and that was to the best team in Wales. So I’m expecting a 4-1 to us this time. Sure, Tottenham are on a roll themselves at the moment. They pissed all over Man United last night, although they struggled against a better organised Newport at the weekend. Paul tells me that it will be a comfortable victory for his team, but he’s said that on every single occasion that Spurs have visited Anfield since I’ve known him. And I’ve known him since 1984. They’re like that, Tottenham fans. Utterly deluded. It’s a great thing to be since you always come up smiling even when the rest of the world knows you’re bonkers.

Liverpool are a big club, I remember a few years back they won the tit-WAIT, no they didn't, Gerrard slipped! They haven't won it for decades either! And they call us deluded.

By the way, I can't even remember when they last finished above us?

From RAWK

Yeeesh, their fans are like a northern Woolwich

We need to play this like we did RM and Dortmund, sit back, only press in key areas, and look to launch counters at every chance. They will want us to pass the ball around, because then we'll be easy prey for their press and counter, but hopefully we are too clever to fall for that shit again.

From RAWK

Dipper fans calling us deluded!!

Made my day that one

:dembelelol:

I’d stick with the same line up for this one.

Then hope we don’t lose, when this place will descend into:

Tripper is rubbish.
So is Davies.
Dembele is finished.
Dele needs sold.
Etc.

But we won’t. We can do this.

Take the draw and smash the scum. Pool will slip up later on, so important we don't lose ground on them.
Want to win this and then the Scum because thats what we should be aiming for. We are more than capable in getting a result in both games as long as we play to our best and Poch gets it right.

If we get 4 points from the next 2 I would be more than happy.

Lloris
Trippier Sanchez Vert Davies
Dier Sissoko
Lamela Eriksen Dele
Kane

Vorm Son Lucas Toby Wanyama Dembele Rose

Last edited:
I don't think this game will be easy at all. I'd love a win, but would be happy with a draw. We all know Anfield is a daunting place to visit, and although we generally travel well, we've not got much from there for years.

Liverpool's forward line is truly awesome. Their speed and incision (and calmness in front of goal) is breathtaking. They put 4 goals past Man City, and every one of their goals in that game was a thing of beauty. We'd be insane to underestimate them.

Their midfield, not so much. Their defence - though bolstered by VVD - pretty shit.

So I agree that to get something out of the game we should sit back, stay compact, frustrate them and try to hit them on the counter. Taking the game to them would be a terrible mistake (but great for the neutral).

It could still blow up in our faces - it usually does at Anfield. It would be amazing if we could get at least a point there. It'd set us up nicely for the Woolwich game, which I don't think is anywhere near as tough as this one.

Fixture I dread every season. I knew we had a lousy record at Anfield so I looked it up. We have only won 6 league matches in over 100 years at Anfield which is fucking incredible. We can certianlt cause them problems though, I would be happy with a draw.

Back
Top Bottom