Liverpool: A perfect example of how to bounce back.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So what's your alternative? Please enlighten me? Is it keeping our current wage structure and model, just being happy getting into the top four and hoping we get another shot at a final like we did this year even though lack of change will make that very unlikely?

Unless of course you are happy to spend the next 10 years like we spent the last 10 years, always being the bridesmaids and never being the bride?

Look, if Levy, ENIC and Lewis cannot match the spending of Pool and City and they do not intend to then quite simply they should sell to someone who can because if not the only chance of us winning something will be if we get incredibly lucky or other teams falter, this project has hit the upper limit, even Poch knows that.

I want us to be continuous winners and sustain what we have built and improve upon it, we can't do that under our current model, there is no time for romance over ENIC, this club needs to start winning things, that's all that matters and people who say otherwise are putting their heads in the sand, that doesn't make people glory chasers either, we watch sports to see our teams win.

Does that mean if we got relegated or had to start all over from scratch I would fuck off and watch another team? No does it bollocks, I am spurs until the end but at the same time I would not be happy watching us have to start from scratch again just because our owners don't want to spend over the odds on players to make us competitive.

I have been waiting 25+ years for us to be in the position we are now and I don't want us to fuck it all up and go backwards which is a very real possibility unless we start behaving and thinking like a big club when it comes to wages and transfers, we have the stadium and the facilities so now we need to match the ambition of that project with the way we build our teams.

My alternative to what? ....Your haven't provide a coherent explanation ho you expect us to be able to "spend like city"?

I'd like to drive a Porche... In fact.... It's a 'dreeeeeeam' of mine..... Tough shit, unless I have a plausible and sustainable way to fund said purchase.

Repeatedly emphasising what you "want" is of little consequence or value to the discussion.... Nor is implying that I don't want us to succeed just because my eyes are open to certain realities.... Not a single person on this forum doesn't want to to see us dripping in silverware.

The club and it's incompetence has stood by and allowed Liverpool to surpass us in terms of team development before our very own eyes.

Pochettino inherited a superior team to Klopp and had an entire season and a half before him. Few seasons later he finishes 26 points below him in the league and gets completely outclassed in CL final.

Why is this ignored/never discussed??

The club had a world class spine in Lloris-Vertonghen-Dembele-Eriksen-Kane but failed to capitalized on it by not building an elite team that could have went on to win major trophies.

I look at 2016, 2017 and 2018 summer windows and all I see is missed opportunities.

Spurs never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Well there’s an optimistic start to the week....

We have to gamble right now, invest as much as we can this summer, pray that everyone stays fit and let’s go all in 100% on the title.....the building phase is over, let’s go all in!!
I have never been so confident that it was our turn as I was on Saturday. Everything that has happened was pointing to a victory for us. Playing badly in earlier rounds but still winning. Maybe for a change, luck would be kind to us. All the teams that won trophies wore blue. I thought we stopped city winning treble,and was sure we would stop Klopps mob winning anything, justice would be done( I thought). I even had a song in my mind about him losing 6 times.. I was distraught for Maura. He got us there.Anyway, enough said about all that.As for adding to the squad, I don't have much confidence in the scouts to identify suitable additions. Look how they wasted the Bale money. Maybe DL is unsure too. Buying is easier said than done. Just a few thoughts. I don't feel any less gutted today. We even had our train tickets for the victory parade, no doubt in my mind whatsoever

The club and it's incompetence has stood by and allowed Liverpool to surpass us in terms of team development before our very own eyes.

Pochettino inherited a superior team to Klopp and had an entire season and a half before him. Few seasons later he finishes 26 points below him in the league and gets completely outclassed in CL final.

Why is this ignored/never discussed??
Stadium has played a massive part in this but yes as it stands they have gone past us.

At a cost they’ve bounced back yes but could/will we? Personally I doubt it! certainly not by reaching the champions league final again next season a domestic cup final yes champions league qualification yes but the giddy heights of champions league finals and league champions nope! This is based on what happens in the summer obviously we think Rose & Eriksen are going that’s a big hole to fill Toby is not guaranteed being with us next year even though he says he’s planning to be we have to anticipate he won’t and we have replace the 3 of them and that’s not including a right back,holding midfielder and back up striker for Llorente they will cost serious money, money we won’t pay certainly not for them all it will be younger cheaper options with potential that will be the difference just to get us over the line. Another factor I don’t think had been mentioned is.....are we Tottenham Hotspur an appealing proposition? Money aside are we attractive enough to attract top players If we were in for player (A) say with dippers and Utd what would set us apart why would said player sign for us? Even now with all the positives young manager, new gaff , CL qualification would/is that enough....Man Utd & Liverpool are big names irrespective of what we think.

My alternative to what? ....Your haven't provide a coherent explanation ho you expect us to be able to "spend like city"?

I'd like to drive a Porche... In fact.... It's a 'dreeeeeeam' of mine..... Tough shit, unless I have a plausible and sustainable way to fund said purchase.

Repeatedly emphasising what you "want" is of little consequence or value to the discussion.... Nor is implying that I don't want us to succeed just because my eyes are open to certain realities.... Not a single person on this forum doesn't want to to see us dripping in silverware.

You're alternative to us not spending money like City or Pool? Because realistically that's the only way we will compete with them long term, like it or not, that is a objective fact.

It's not up to me to find a sustainable way to do it, I am simply saying, that's what needs to be done if we wish to compete with those clubs on a level playing field and if Levy and ENIC cannot provide that then we are better off with richer owners who can, pretty simple really.

We either stay doing what we are doing now and hope that we get lucky enough to be in another final or we act like a big club and start spending like a big club does.

What's the alternative? Please explain to me how you believe we can improve from our current position without competing financially with those clubs?

You're alternative to us not spending money like City or Pool? Because realistically that's the only way we will compete with them long term, like it or not, that is a objective fact.

It's not up to me to find a sustainable way to do it, I am simply saying, that's what needs to be done if we wish to compete with those clubs on a level playing field and if Levy and ENIC cannot provide that then we are better off with richer owners who can, pretty simple really.

We either stay doing what we are doing now and hope that we get lucky enough to be in another final or we act like a big club and start spending like a big club does.

What's the alternative? Please explain to me how you believe we can improve from our current position without competing financially with those clubs?

I can't magically make us as rich as them.... You're suggestion (demand) requires us to be; thus the batton remains firmly with you my friend.

(I simply ask that we back the manager with as much as we can afford. IF that's not enough to match City or Liverpool's spending power, I guess I'll have to suck it up and carry on enjoying things for what they are....)

I have never been so confident that it was our turn as I was on Saturday. Everything that has happened was pointing to a victory for us. Playing badly in earlier rounds but still winning. Maybe for a change, luck would be kind to us. All the teams that won trophies wore blue. I thought we stopped city winning treble,and was sure we would stop Klopps mob winning anything, justice would be done( I thought). I even had a song in my mind about him losing 6 times.. I was distraught for Maura. He got us there.Anyway, enough said about all that.As for adding to the squad, I don't have much confidence in the scouts to identify suitable additions. Look how they wasted the Bale money. Maybe DL is unsure too. Buying is easier said than done. Just a few thoughts. I don't feel any less gutted today. We even had our train tickets for the victory parade, no doubt in my mind whatsoever
Ah the good old Bale fiasco of 2013, seems like only yesterday he left but it’s coming up on six years, where did that time go? He turns 30 before the start of next season, Jesus he was only a kid when he left....

Back
Top Bottom