Liverpool: A perfect example of how to bounce back.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It still hurts massively to lose that final...but there's no reason to think we'll never get there again and win the bloody thing.

Liverpool provide the perfect blueprint for this.

They lost last year's final thanks to (mostly) a goalkeeping performance of comical proportions. What did they do? They went out, balls out, and put that big bearded fucker between the sticks. And he's been class. Comparisons to the state of our squad can be drawn, albeit on a larger scale. Pretty much every position needs boosting, but the blueprint is still there.

You might not like it but you really have to hand it to Liverpool. They lost last year's final and went out on a rampage in the transfer market. Klopp strengthened in every problem era. If it wasn't for Man City doing a madness they would have won the double.

Can Spurs match this ambition? We can only hope. I hope we have an exciting summer, clear out some of the dead wood, and go again.

Just do something to stop Kane being wasted in the middle of the park spraying balls out to Trippier.

It still hurts massively to lose that final...but there's no reason to think we'll never get there again and win the bloody thing.

They lost last year's final thanks to (mostly) a goalkeeping performance of comical proportions. What did they do? They went out, balls out, and put that big bearded fucker between the sticks. And he's been class. Comparisons to the state of our squad can be drawn, albeit on a larger scale. Pretty much every position needs boosting, but the blueprint is still there.

You might not like it but you really have to hand it to Liverpool. They lost last year's final and went out on a rampage in the transfer market. Klopp strengthened in every problem era. If it wasn't for Man City doing a madness they would have won the double.

Can Spurs match this ambition? We can only hope. I hope we have an exciting summer, clear out some of the dead wood, and go again.

Just do something to stop Kane being wasted in the middle of the park spraying balls out to Trippier.
A stitch in time saves 9 as they say, got to start filling in the cracks now before more start to appear in the coming seasons and we end up having to rip it down and build from the ground up again.....
If Pochettino is ever going to win a Trophy, then it probably needs to be next season.

Reads, pukes, leaves.

Liverpool.... The only team ever to sign 2 players to improve their team.

All hail. :pochunimpressed:

No, that's really not the case.

.....Another seeking retail therapy.

While I absolutely agree we need to maintain momentum and act NOW to bolster, I'm undecided on whether a total rebuild or a minor adjustment is the best method. That could be determined by stuff partly out of our hands. If Eriksson and Toby go then we need to look at a bigger reshape, personnel and style/formation. If they do go then we must ensure they don't go cheap (Erik anyway).
I hope we keep them, I think we've £150-175 M to spend anyway NET. So £200-250M to spend depending on how well we shift on those squad fillers not working for us.
My view... Keep Trips, one bad session doesn't mean he's dead to us. I'd still bolster RB though. Keep Toby if at all possible but look to bolster.... I'm still unconvinced by foyth. Buy sessengon to bolster the left. Look for a box to box beast ...a kante like player perhaps. Up front....llorente has done so much at key points but hmm....I want an option that isn't Kane but doesn't feel like the second string.... Easy haha! I've not touched on a creative mid..... Is there someone that could compete with Eriksson for his place?

Even with £200M to spend we need to spend wisely, but I do want to see one or two key signings of established performers, not EVERY signing be a 'potential'. We need to act now and maintain the momentum, not step back and build again for 4 or 5 years time.

We will spend this summer but the expectations are high and unlikely to be met. We have bought wisely before and can we do so again? Impossible to know at this stage what the likely outcome will be but Whilst we are behind Liverpool and MC we are still ahead of Woolwich and MU and about same level as Chelsea. Chelsea hopefully will lose Hazard and if transfer ban not overturned then will struggle to improve.
We are in Pot 2 of CL and 9th highest value club which means we should get out of the group. After that we will need to play at our best to get to the final again. Could be luckier with the draw though.
We will not compete for Premiership but should aim to get top 4 AND finally win a trophy.

Reads, pukes, leaves.

Liverpool.... The only team ever to sign 2 players to improve their team.

All hail. :pochunimpressed:

No, that's really not the case.

.....Another seeking retail therapy.

There you go again, criticising people for wanting us to spend money and show some ambition by buying players we need in key positions but then offering no alternative whatsoever to how we can improve if we don't spend money.

Please, tell me what you think we should do to win the PL and CL that doesn't involve spending money? And don't avoid the question like you do every other time.

There you go again, criticising people for wanting us to spend money and show some ambition by buying players we need in key positions but then offering no alternative whatsoever to how we can improve if we don't spend money.

Please, tell me what you think we should do to win the PL and CL that doesn't involve spending money? And don't avoid the question like you do every other time.
Mate that poster cannot get or maintain an erection which is why the anger comes out on this forum just leave him he offers nothing same as his love life

You have the wrong end of the stick.... I'm responding to the notion that Liverpool somehow represent some revolutionary model and example to us. Also refuting the dumb assertion that we're weak in ALL positions.

As for your incorrect assumptions (cos that's all they are!); find some quotes where I say we should not spend any money or STFU IMO.

I sense you're just bringing sour grapes in from another discussion....

"Spend like City" you said multiple times yesterday.... Did you ever get as far as seeing the glaring issue with this demand....?

Last edited:
Mate that poster cannot get or maintain an erection which is why the anger comes out on this forum just leave him he offers nothing same as his love life

This the kind of mature and adult debate you were preaching earlier is it?

Prophecies of doom or play-ground insults literally all you got is it?

Debate me or STFU, you miserable twat.

Q. What credence can you give to your repeated claim that we will never reach a CL final again?

(Btw, in case you were wondering... Despite all 'joyous' humour, you yourself come accross as a miserable, angry and bitter man.... Ironic huh?)

You have the wrong end of the stick.... I'm responding to the notion that Liverpool somehow represent some revolutionary model and example to us and similarly refuting the dumb assertion that we're weak in ALL positions.

As for your incorrect assumptions (cos that's all they are!); find some quotes where I say we should not spend any money or STFU IMO.

I sense you're just bringing sour grapes in from another discussion....

"Spend like City" you said multiple times yesterday.... Did you ever get as far as seeing the glaring issue with this demand....?

No, I am not saying Liverpool are some revolutionary model, far from it, if anything it's a common sense model because they see where they have a weakness and they address it and pay what it takes to get the player and they don't fucking penny pinch like Levy does.

Liverpool spent a ridiculous amount of money on a keeper and defender and people thought it was ludicrous money at the time but those two players have essentially won them the CL and nearly won them the league.

We aren't weak in all positions but there is no denying we have an aging squad and poor depth and need massive improvements in certain areas if we want to compete with City and Pool on a level playing field.

I am saying to you, if we do not spend money like Liverpool and City have over the last few seasons, how do you expect us to compete with them going forward?

No, I am not saying Liverpool are some revolutionary model, far from it, if anything it's a common sense model because they see where they have a weakness and they address it and pay what it takes to get the player and they don't fucking penny pinch like Levy does.

:shrugs shoulders like Alan:

My original comments were addressing the OP, not you.
You hadn't even posted in this thread at that point. :pocheyes:

Liverpool spent a ridiculous amount of money on a keeper and defender and people thought it was ludicrous money at the time but those two players have essentially won them the CL and nearly won them the league.

We aren't weak in all positions but there is no denying we have an aging squad and poor depth and need massive improvements in certain areas if we want to compete with City and Pool on a level playing field.

I am saying to you, if we do not spend money like Liverpool and City have over the last few seasons, how do you expect us to compete with them going forward?

Now keep going... How do you propose we "spend money like Liverpool and City"?

:shrugs shoulders like Alan:

My original comments were addressing the OP, not you.
You hadn't even posted in this thread at that point. :pocheyes:

Now keep going... How do you propose we "spend money like Liverpool and City"?

What sort of question is that? The same way we built a billion pound stadium? By investing?

We buy the targets that would genuinely improve us, up our wage bill so it matches clubs like Liverpool and City.

What sort of question is that?

A practical one.

The same way we built a billion pound stadium? By investing?

What the hell does that even mean? .....We funded out stadium with loans and via austerity.

We buy the targets that would genuinely improve us, up our wage bill so it matches clubs like Liverpool and City.

As I suspected, not a single consideration for affordability of sustainability....

"Just do it."

Incredible strategy... I hope DL is taking notes right now. :pochrolleyes:

A practical one.

What the hell does that even mean? .....We funded out stadium with loans and via austerity.

As I suspected, not a single consideration for affordability of sustainability....

"Just do it."

Incredible strategy... I hope DL is taking notes right now. :pochrolleyes:

So what's your alternative? Please enlighten me? Is it keeping our current wage structure and model, just being happy getting into the top four and hoping we get another shot at a final like we did this year even though lack of change will make that very unlikely?

Unless of course you are happy to spend the next 10 years like we spent the last 10 years, always being the bridesmaids and never being the bride?

Look, if Levy, ENIC and Lewis cannot match the spending of Pool and City and they do not intend to then quite simply they should sell to someone who can because if not the only chance of us winning something will be if we get incredibly lucky or other teams falter, this project has hit the upper limit, even Poch knows that.

I want us to be continuous winners and sustain what we have built and improve upon it, we can't do that under our current model, there is no time for romance over ENIC, this club needs to start winning things, that's all that matters and people who say otherwise are putting their heads in the sand, that doesn't make people glory chasers either, we watch sports to see our teams win.

Does that mean if we got relegated or had to start all over from scratch I would fuck off and watch another team? No does it bollocks, I am spurs until the end but at the same time I would not be happy watching us have to start from scratch again just because our owners don't want to spend over the odds on players to make us competitive.

I have been waiting 25+ years for us to be in the position we are now and I don't want us to fuck it all up and go backwards which is a very real possibility unless we start behaving and thinking like a big club when it comes to wages and transfers, we have the stadium and the facilities so now we need to match the ambition of that project with the way we build our teams.

Back
Top Bottom