Liverpoo v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 31.03.19.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not going to think about it.

There is zero doubt Liverpool have moved ahead of us and by a margin.

Yes it has cost them a lot of money but their mentality is better than ours and it both hurts and is worrying.

Yes it has cost them a lot of money but their mentality is better than ours and it both hurts and is worrying.

- 'The Slip'
- EL final 2016.
- LC final 2016.
- CL Final 2018
- This year: 10 point gap.

I'd say the jury is very much out on their (and Klopps - Never won a final) mentality.

Liverpools mentality is on par or even worse than ours.

The reason they are ahead of us is mostly because they've spent £100,000,000+ adding depth to their squad. Mentality though? Nah. They've had bigger games than us over the last few years and pretty much failed to capitalise in all of them.

They've spent near on £700,000,000 since 2012 and have nothing to show for it. Whereas in the mean time every single team in the top 6 bar us has either won the league or win a trophy. Liverpool have been in 3 fnals within that time and lost all of them, losing to the likes of Southampton and Aston Villa in semi finals within that time too.

Compared to us who have spent £427,000,000 in that time period. Got to 1 cup final and only lost to Man Utd or Chelsea in semi finals or finals. Is our mentality poor? Yes. But worse than Liverpools? Do me a favour.

Last edited:

Since the window we signed Lucas, Liverpool have gone silly bollocks and thrown £240m at new signings. Absolutely impossible to judge what we do and how we have to operate as a business to a team prepared to spending a quarter of a billion on playing staff alone.

They blew it out of the water and spent quarter of a billion innthe space of what 7-8 months or so? Sorry but we can't dictate what we do based on what others opt to do. It'll be interesting to see how much they have to spend this summer and if they've busted their nut already.

The stadium and slow progression until we are on a level playing field with the scousers financially, that's the next immediate era in supporting our club

Should I feel ashamed for laughing at this?

To be fair, it's accounts like these (and Spurs fans across the country) who piss and moan about other people calling us bottlers, bottle-jobs - yet call their own team it, even as a joke.

It's like when they call things "Spursy" even though, again, they get all angry and defensive when other people refer to Spurs as being 'Spursy' if we happen to finish 2nd in a title race we were never in for example.

If you don't want people ridiculing you and your club, then perhaps stop mocking and ridiculing your own club.

To be fair, it's accounts like these (and Spurs fans across the country) who piss and moan about other people calling us bottlers, bottle-jobs - yet call their own team it, even as a joke.

It's like when they call things "Spursy" even though, again, they get all angry and defensive when other people refer to Spurs as being 'Spursy' if we happen to finish 2nd in a title race we were never in for example.

Beat me to it.

Why on earth add to the abundance of such shite thrown our way?

...Or help keep a term derogatory to ourselves alive?

Beat me to it.

It's really quite ridiculous.

Saw it last week too. 3-0 up against Dortmund in the Champions League and all you could see from Spurs fans was in relation to 'bottling it' or losing this and getting knocked out would be 'Spursy' - it's pathetic. These are the people who then moan at those terms being thrown at us.

Just look how defensive we get when people bring up the "Bottling it and finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race" or "Putting the pressure on" etc. - we don't help ourselves.

Absolute 90s mentality. Yes, we were fucking shit for over a decade. But ffs, we're pretty fucking damn good now in comparison.

If you don't want people ridiculing you and your club, then perhaps stop mocking and ridiculing your own club.

Or you could just stop taking things so seriously.

If we call ourselves bottle jobs, all the mongs on social media will just get bored of it. Removes what little weight it has.

All rolls off my back anyway. Rather be called a bottle job than being some nondescript mid table team that does nothing of note.

If we call ourselves bottle jobs, all the mongs on social media will just get bored of it. Removes what little weight it has.

All rolls off my back anyway. Rather be called a bottle job than being some nondescript mid table team that does nothing of note.

Why would they get bored of it?

They STILL do it.

And if we finish 5th? They'll all say it again. We bottled it. How Spursy of us.

And again, all the Spurs fan Twitter pages will cry and moan because someone they don't know online, who supports another team mentioned Spurs, Bottle and Spursy in a sentence.

It's been happening for years. Pathetic 90s mentality that 75% of this fan base has. And then the fans moan when the players show a "weak mentality"

Those same fans who moan that we haven't lifted a trophy yet as if its the be all and end all of supporting this club. A club that's never been a serial league winner or won anything of note for coming up to 30 years.

There is a difference between being bottlers and just not being good enough. I'm sure you know which one of those we are.

Bit like the anti-bullying tactics at school?

...Nah, the reality is puny kid still get's ruffed up and goes home hungry.

Genuinely pleased for you if it doesn't get on your tits, but it's not merely social media... Press/TV, social media and face-to-face in actual life alike; probably ten-fold if you live in London... Bottom line it helps keep the meme alive.

Call me romantic, but I welcome the idea of places like this - i.e. amongst our own - and especially the terraces, being a bit of a shelter; rest-bite from shite like that. Sadly, there's approaching as much din and dirge amongst our own these days as there is 'outside'...

Beat me to it.

Easier to laugh at yourself or in this case the club than to stick up for them.

Personally I despise these kind of Spurs fans more than a West Ham supporter. Their mindset is one of the things that holds the club back. Do they not think the players or people being linked with a move to our club go on social media? Parasites looking for a bit of attention and a cheap laugh. Sad to see so many Spurs fans make a mockery of the club they support.

6th best revenue + £1bn of debt to pay, keep pace with the top 2 clubs in the league better than Woolwich, Chelsea or Man United have been able to, completely surpassing what our realistic expectations should be at present, stumble and get the piss taken out of us by our own fans. Awful when the team and the gaffer deserve so much better from its supporters. Sad to see so many support the club in such a wrong way, it must be a generation thing.

You're positive about the club and all it's facing and achieving in tricky times you're called a happy clapper. Piss poor

Last edited:
You only stop being a 'bottle job' when you win something ... Woolwich have 'bottled it' for over a decade in the big boys competitions ... Liverpool the same, and if it wasn't for 2004-5 that would be three decades .... and we've not even been at the top table for 50 years ... the media picks us out because we're the underdog all the time, that's a bizarre form of respect, if we had the choice of swapping our 'club' for any other in the EPL 99.9% of us wouldn't do it ... so why worry when some moron click-bate journalist prints the same old shit they've been printing for years. When we do eventually win one of the big trophies it will just be all the sweeter.

And what have we done ‘of note’ recently?

Fuck all really Joe, absolutely fuck all....

1534227162_spurs.jpg

On the evidence of what motivation, desire and mentality this team and its manager has, I'd say 3-0 to Liverpool.

The whole run-in will be interesting to watch because I can easily see teams like Bournemouth and West Spam wanting the win more than us. Hell, even Palace and Brighton.

At this stage, it really is a "prove me wrong" scenario- and it will be for every single game. They can talk as much as they want, plead for support or mentality, but fuck them. Show it. Actually show it and people will come around. Why would you expect the mentality of the fans to change when they see no proof of the players wanting to win? How many games have we played this season? 50? They've had their chances to show it but have been found wanting. Technically this can be said for all and every competitor in sports, but you should always have more desire than your opponent because that's what you can control.

Football may be their job, but they need to realize how fucking privileged they are to have that job and earn the kind of money they are. Who wouldn't want to exercise every day and play games on the weekend and get paid an ungodly sum to do so?

So fuck them and Poch. Prove your fucking desire on the pitch and the fans will come around.

Liverpools mentality is on par or even worse than ours.

The reason they are ahead of us is mostly because they've spent £100,000,000+ adding depth to their squad. Mentality though? Nah. They've had bigger games than us over the last few years and pretty much failed to capitalise in all of them.

They've spent near on £700,000,000 since 2012 and have nothing to show for it. Whereas in the mean time every single team in the top 6 bar us has either won the league or win a trophy. Liverpool have been in 3 fnals within that time and lost all of them, losing to the likes of Southampton and Aston Villa in semi finals within that time too.

Compared to us who have spent £427,000,000 in that time period. Got to 1 cup final and only lost to Man Utd or Chelsea in semi finals or finals. Is our mentality poor? Yes. But worse than Liverpools? Do me a favour.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom