Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not if Trippier is staying. He is not that bad. Had a debate the other day with a fellow poster. International player. I admit i like him that bit more because of his passion. That when he was in the crowd crying especially. After the final.
Trippier had a poor season on the whole. One or two good performances don't make a decent season. I like him as a player and hope he does well in Italy.

A quick one regarding the job Levy & the club has done recently, in the space of roughly 8 weeks we've gone from 3.3m followers on Twitter to over 3.5m. More than 100,000 people now following the club in the space of one quarter is a big step that's positive for our growth.

Don't quote me on it but I'm sure this number has risen rapidly over the course of this season. If memory serves me right we were in the 2m numbers this time last year so it could easily be a 20% social media growth over the space of 1 year but I can't say for certain my numbers or memory isn't right.

I did make a note when we were on 3.2m, that quickly got to 3.3m and now stands at over 3.5m which is a dramatic increase over a matter of weeks. A good sign of progression and how respected and known we have become. Over an 7-8 week period it means our club has averaged just under 2,000 new followers per day since I made a little mental note of it on my twitter account. Don't quote me on this but I definitely made a little check on this around 8 weeks or so ago.

Possibly a bit more old fashioned, but in terms of tv audiences (beloved by tv advertisers) the Spurs v Ajax matches were watched by 1.5m average peaking at about 2.5m.

Champions League Final audience was a record 11.3m, a third higher than last year and more than the audience of BBC and ITV combined to put that number into perspective.

The Ajax matches give an idea as to what advertisers will base a possible deal on where Spurs are playing a major match - which will directly affect income to Spurs - whilst the CL final will directly relate to name recognition and brand awareness worldwide, and I doubt if Spurs have ever had such awareness so that will be a huge boost.

Possibly a bit more old fashioned, but in terms of tv audiences (beloved by tv advertisers) the Spurs v Ajax matches were watched by 1.5m average peaking at about 2.5m.

Champions League Final audience was a record 11.3m, a third higher than last year and more than the audience of BBC and ITV combined to put that number into perspective.

The Ajax matches give an idea as to what advertisers will base a possible deal on where Spurs are playing a major match - which will directly affect income to Spurs - whilst the CL final will directly relate to name recognition and brand awareness worldwide, and I doubt if Spurs have ever had such awareness so that will be a huge boost.

Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain

Might be worth adding that the England v Tunisia match in the WC got an audience of 18m *highest for years), so Spurs would get some recognition from that with the likes of Kane, Dele, Dier, Rose Trippier playing, not as much as when its a Spurs match but it all helps - and maybe explains Spurs sometimes ambivalent relationship with FA over England players.

The ICC (International Champions Competition) which we have played in for the last couple of preseasons and will play in again next pre-season grandly claims a tv audience of 70m, which I am sure is an aggregate over many matches, but again will get us a lot of new brand recognition from people who don't regularly see PL football or Spurs.

Likewise I think the NFL matches at NWHL will get a lot of north American TV audience (plus crowds at NWHL) which will also go to build brand recognition.

BTW, I am not a Facebook person but Tottenham show 11.5m followers on the site, not sure whether that's big by comparison with our peers, but looks a decent number to me !

So expect name recognition to grow from a number of sources over the next few years

Last edited:

Advertisers are not fools either, they know that an unknown number of millions (yeah me) watch games live on illegal streams, and what about legal streams? The Optus feed in Australia recorded 16.5m live minutes that's 20% up on any previous event. Optus is owned by Singtel a small outfit from Singapore with 700 million customers (yup 700 million) they should release their entire CL take up figures soon, but if Australia is anything to go by you can expect it to be ten times the BBC numbers ... they would make great ground sponsors, they could probably afford it they turned over $17.5 billion last year ...

Seem to remember Optus offering pretty much all premier league fixtures included in a sim card deal for like $40 aud per month last season.
Still found myself on an illegal stream watching us play Barcelona at 4am as BT sport doesn't work outside the EU :(

With regards to how much will be available for transfers, we also have to factor how much will be needed for salaries for any new signings, and improved terms for the current squad. Unlike some teams, we don't have a bottomless pot, we still have to live within our budget.

With regards to how much will be available for transfers, we also have to factor how much will be needed for salaries for any new signings, and improved terms for the current squad. Unlike some teams, we don't have a bottomless pot, we still have to live within our budget.

This; Anyone moaning about the club's stance on transfer fees etc
Have you ever bought a house? You have a budget and it doesn't matter how much you love the house on the hill if it's too much you move on!

I couldn't have put it better myself, but I nearly did in an article I wrote for this here website..

The elephant in the room for us is changing the wage structure. Take Manchester United. Alexis Sanchez is probably the most expensive signing of all time, not just because of his extortionate wage, but the fact it immediately creates a scenario where other top players in the squad demand parity. That situation could easily cost Manchester United an extra £500k a week on wages. The difference is simple though, they can afford to take that type of hit, we can’t. Even with better revenue and more commercial income at the moment.

To be continued… – The Fighting Cock

Doesn't really work when you sign nobody in a whole summer. Makes it seem more of a choice rather than not being able to afford just 1 new player & his salary.
Also why give lamela a new contract when we are so hard up & wages are so important?
Suddenly wages don't seem a big deal & we can give injury prone players a few more million despite their history.

I couldn't have put it better myself, but I nearly did in an article I wrote for this here website..

The elephant in the room for us is changing the wage structure. Take Manchester United. Alexis Sanchez is probably the most expensive signing of all time, not just because of his extortionate wage, but the fact it immediately creates a scenario where other top players in the squad demand parity. That situation could easily cost Manchester United an extra £500k a week on wages. The difference is simple though, they can afford to take that type of hit, we can’t. Even with better revenue and more commercial income at the moment.

Report today that Utd are about to offer Rashford a new deal worth 350k a week. I'm beginning to detest football

Good news on wages is that in the last set of accounts our wages bill was £147m, £80m less than Woolwich and £100m below Chelsea and more than that below the other top 4 clubs.

We also had the lowest wages to turnover of 39% , by comparison ManU had 50% on a far higher turnover.

The wages situation coupled with big revenue growth from playing at Wembley means we will, once again be offering big wages increases to existing players we want to keep in exchange for longer contracts. But even with that and a few new players on high wages means I think we will remain on well less than 50% and with revenues likely to rise again in the coming year when we play at NWHL from the high corporate ticket revenues means we would probably take 2 or even 3 seasons to start to get to the % of gross revenue paid on wages by the other top 6 clubs.

The one thing I think we can trust Levy not to do is to vastly ovrpay on wages as ManU have done on Sanchez or Pogba and Woolwich have done with Ozil or Madrid have done with Bale as it means that it is all but impossible to move the player on without vastly subsiding that played wages to go.

So whilst we need to understand how wages might rise it would not surprise me if Levy decided that Spurs had ample funds to spend say £100m plus sales proceeds on new players. A big change from previous TWs

Report today that Utd are about to offer Rashford a new deal worth 350k a week. I'm beginning to detest football

Too much money - they are still trying to work out how to move on Sanchez and Pogba with high wages, and then go and repeat the same basic mistake by ovrpaying platters who they are desperate to stay in case they mention their dream is to (suddenly) play for Madrid or Barcelona

Good news on wages is that in the last set of accounts our wages bill was £147m, £80m less than Woolwich and £100m below Chelsea and more than that below the other top 4 clubs.

We also had the lowest wages to turnover of 39% , by comparison ManU had 50% on a far higher turnover.

The wages situation coupled with big revenue growth from playing at Wembley means we will, once again be offering big wages increases to existing players we want to keep in exchange for longer contracts. But even with that and a few new players on high wages means I think we will remain on well less than 50% and with revenues likely to rise again in the coming year when we play at NWHL from the high corporate ticket revenues means we would probably take 2 or even 3 seasons to start to get to the % of gross revenue paid on wages by the other top 6 clubs.

The one thing I think we can trust Levy not to do is to vastly ovrpay on wages as ManU have done on Sanchez or Pogba and Woolwich have done with Ozil or Madrid have done with Bale as it means that it is all but impossible to move the player on without vastly subsiding that played wages to go.

So whilst we need to understand how wages might rise it would not surprise me if Levy decided that Spurs had ample funds to spend say £100m plus sales proceeds on new players. A big change from previous TWs

That's very fair, I think it's probably best to look at the idea that if we sign a player who is perceived to be in a higher stratosphere or with a very high value contract then the existing squad will be saying that they are significantly undervalued.

It's not so much about the transfer window but raising the contract payments to players in a sustainable way where you're not in a place where you are paying mediocre players massive amounts of money so they become unsellable and basically cease to be an asset.

I think there is definitely a new balance of higher pay to be found. Though you have to acknowledge that our structure makes buying players from other top 6 Premier League teams less likely because, for the current time, we pay our players less than our rivals.

Back
Top Bottom