Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet he didn't look convincing in the EPL.... So financially what represents the bigger gamble?

£6/7m for untested.

or

£40m for tested, but not impressive.

With Sess, I think it comes down to if the price is right. He has one year left on his contract and can join a foreign club for £500k in a years time.

If we can sort something in and around the £20m-£25m mark I think that's a great deal to be had. £40m not so much

Last edited:
So you think he wants us to be Woolwich 05-2017 mark 2 more or less ?

It's certainly crossed my mind just praying I'm wrong and he goes for it , he did splurge in the market in his early days.

So did Woolwich during the period you mention.

I think Woolwich 05-17 is exactly what ENIC is aiming at, in the sense that cementing Spurs as a Champions League regular is a massive financial windfall, winning the other cups isn't a financial windfall at all, and actually spending the money to win the PL or CL would cost more than those victories would bring.

The trouble is, Woolwich did that during a period where they could all but coast to 4th place, there weren't financially equivalent competitors. Present day Spurs are seeking one of four spots in a league with five unambiguously richer clubs. Where we're standing currently is unlikely to be a stable equilibrium. We either move forward or we'll fall backward.

But this all gets back to what Poch has been saying. Project #1 is over, and it was a smashing success. The goal was top four and a run out in the CL and we've gone over and above that. What's Project #2? And what will it take to achieve that?

Poch also has to show some faith in our scouts, they should understand the type of players we need and the system in place five years in. If they bring a player to him he may not be very familiar with but we can bring him in sometimes you just have to trust the people in your organization.
True. From afar it seems poch isn't very confident & comfortable with his & the club's ability with regards to scouting, picking & signing players.

I think Woolwich 05-17 is exactly what ENIC is aiming at, in the sense that cementing Spurs as a Champions League regular is a massive financial windfall, winning the other cups isn't a financial windfall at all, and actually spending the money to win the PL or CL would cost more than those victories would bring.

The trouble is, Woolwich did that during a period where they could all but coast to 4th place, there weren't financially equivalent competitors. Present day Spurs are seeking one of four spots in a league with five unambiguously richer clubs. Where we're standing currently is unlikely to be a stable equilibrium. We either move forward or we'll fall backward.

But this all gets back to what Poch has been saying. Project #1 is over, and it was a smashing success. The goal was top four and a run out in the CL and we've gone over and above that. What's Project #2? And what will it take to achieve that?

Much as there seems to be a correlation between us and Woolwich and our new grounds there also a massive divergence ....

Woolwich spent 390m in 2006 at a time when there turnover was roughly 130m and profit 10m ... over the next ten years gate receipts, TV revenues, European football rewards grew steadily turnover increased to 350m profits before tax averaged about 25m a year

So the cost of the stadium in simplest terms represented about 15 years profit ....

Now look at our situation:

Spurs spent 800m (I use the higher number because it still works) at a time when our turnover was roughly 270m and profit 15m ... over the next three years gate receipts, TV revenues, European football rewards went utterly bananas, turnover increased to 385m profits before tax shot up to a massive 112m

So the cost of the stadium in simplest terms represents about 7 years profit .... that's half the time it took for Woolwich to pay back ...

and that's not all, when Woolwich started the Emptycrates they were at the time a top 2 club in the UK and a top 6 club in Europe, they couldn't do much better and indeed have since done worse ...

When we started NWHL we had just managed to creep into the CL we were a top six club in the UK and almost forgotten in Europe, we could do a lot better and feck me haven't we just

So comparisons are all well and good and indeed have some merit, but whilst Woolwich built at a time their club started going backwards, and the whole football world went through a slow financial period. We have built just as the club get going on the pitch, and with the whole football world looking at more money than you can find down a Man City sofa ....

It's all about the timing ..... ENIC seem to have nailed it .....

There is no excuse not to back Poch, and if ENIC want maximum returns then spending 200/300/400m on players over the next few years is probably the best investment they can make ....

Question is do we trust our club to take it to the next level in terms of competing with the big boys to win leagues and CL or are we just content with raking the cash in and hope for a lucky win somewhere along the line, I think the board are the latter and do I don't expect the club to change it's operating procedures now or in the future.

A quick one regarding the job Levy & the club has done recently, in the space of roughly 8 weeks we've gone from 3.3m followers on Twitter to over 3.5m. More than 100,000 people now following the club in the space of one quarter is a big step that's positive for our growth.

Don't quote me on it but I'm sure this number has risen rapidly over the course of this season. If memory serves me right we were in the 2m numbers this time last year so it could easily be a 20% social media growth over the space of 1 year but I can't say for certain my numbers or memory isn't right.

I did make a note when we were on 3.2m, that quickly got to 3.3m and now stands at over 3.5m which is a dramatic increase over a matter of weeks. A good sign of progression and how respected and known we have become. Over an 7-8 week period it means our club has averaged just under 2,000 new followers per day since I made a little mental note of it on my twitter account. Don't quote me on this but I definitely made a little check on this around 8 weeks or so ago.

A quick one regarding the job Levy & the club has done recently, in the space of roughly 8 weeks we've gone from 3.3m followers on Twitter to over 3.5m. More than 100,000 people now following the club in the space of one quarter is a big step that's positive for our growth.

Don't quote me on it but I'm sure this number has risen rapidly over the course of this season. If memory serves me right we were in the 2m numbers this time last year so it could easily be a 20% social media growth over the space of 1 year but I can't say for certain my numbers or memory isn't right.

I did make a note when we were on 3.2m, that quickly got to 3.3m and now stands at over 3.5m which is a dramatic increase over a matter of weeks. A good sign of progression and how respected and known we have become. Over an 7-8 week period it means our club has averaged just under 2,000 new followers per day since I made a little mental note of it on my twitter account. Don't quote me on this but I definitely made a little check on this around 8 weeks or so ago.
I wouldn't use twitter as a barometer for success, anyone can pick up followers without even doing anything.

I wouldn't use twitter as a barometer for success, anyone can pick up followers without even doing anything.

Social media is used a fair old bit when analysing the value of clubs or its followers and even though it's a sketchy one because of multiple accounts, dead accounts or trolling etc an increase of roughly 2,000 per day is a good tell tale sign that we are growing our interest both domestically and overseas

That's nice but how the heck do Arse have nearly 15 mill followers. That is bonkers

Ooooooo 10 whole pounds!!! Sorry I’m messing with you.

Do you mean 50m net or gross? I’d like to think we spend more than 50m if players like eriksen leave!

(Interesting number 50m, where did you get it from?)

It’s all the players that we are linked with that we don’t buy following us.

We will not spend much because we do not have to. A back-up keeper so far. That will change if Eriksen leaves. Too much changing will bugger us up.

I think we need a new RB as a priority
Not if Trippier is staying. He is not that bad. Had a debate the other day with a fellow poster. International player. I admit i like him that bit more because of his passion. That when he was in the crowd crying especially. After the final.

We will not spend much because we do not have to. A back-up keeper so far. That will change if Eriksen leaves. Too much changing will bugger us up.

We don't have to? We barely crawled over the line for top four, we need new fullbacks and a rebuild in midfield, not to mention our squad depth is woeful.

We need, bare minimum, four top quality signings and that's with Eriksen and Toby staying, if they leave we will need 6.

If we spend anything less than £150m this window we will not stand a chance of winning the league or CL imo.

Every other team around us will strengthen and spend money and they are already breathing down our necks because of our lack of activity in recent windows.

Not if Trippier is staying. He is not that bad. Had a debate the other day with a fellow poster. International player. I admit i like him that bit more because of his passion. That when he was in the crowd crying especially. After the final.
Trippier had a woeful season. He did fine in the CL Final, but that doesn't excuse his entire league season for us.

Sorry Tripps is a good lad and all that but I just don’t rate him
Sissoko would be better at RB imv

Back
Top Bottom