Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is enough? There's no amount of money that wouldn't leave someone screaming about it not being "enough". If we sign two excellent players there will be a lot of complaining that we didn't sign three. If we sign five players there will still be complaints.

Let's just sign some decent players, how about that? Let's start with a new CM and a new RB. Then let's take another look at the squad and reassess.

Enough would be looking at the squads and players you need in order to match what Poch believes we need. That might be £100 mil that might be £200 mil. If as the paper have said we are looking at Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Malcolm etc it might be closer to 200 mil.

That might not be doable for us as a club depending on the ENIC model and that’s where issues may arise.

So you think he wants us to be Woolwich 05-2017 mark 2 more or less ?

It's certainly crossed my mind just praying I'm wrong and he goes for it , he did splurge in the market in his early days.

This is often forgotten. Before the austerity relating to the stadium kicked in we were seen as regular spenders.

Last edited:
UEFA are discussing bringing in a "luxury tax" for transfers. It would allow clubs to spend as much as they want up to a certain limit each window. And everything above that will be taxed and re-distributed to your rivals.

Interesting.

The benefit to the one will outstrip the fractional benefit to the many..... Thus this only stands to strengthen the powerbase of the wealthiest.

Enough would be looking at the squads and players you need in order to match what Poch believes we need. That might be £100 mil that might be £200 mil. If as the paper have said we are looking at Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Malcolm etc it might be closer to 200 mil.

That might not be doable for us as a club depending on the ENIC model and that’s where issues may arise.
I wish we lived in a world in which what Spurs and Pochettino want is all that mattered. In which the target's own preferences and career goals take a back-seat and all of their advisers agree that playing for Tottenham Hotspur is all they should ever care about in the trajectory of their career, and that their clubs could not be more excited about selling to Spurs on the cheap.

But that's not the world we live in. Yes, it is true that we have been excessively conservative in the transfer market recently, but all indications point to Pochettino also being complicit in this, with heavy speculation that Poch has personally ruled out several signings.

The club has to cast a wider net than that. And just because we're talking to 2-300 million worth of talent doesn't mean that anyone at the club - even Pochettino - rationally expects to sign all of them, or that it would be a failure of the club to do so.

I wish we lived in a world in which what Spurs and Pochettino want is all that mattered. In which the target's own preferences and career goals take a back-seat and all of their advisers agree that playing for Tottenham Hotspur is all they should ever care about in the trajectory of their career, and that their clubs could not be more excited about selling to Spurs on the cheap.

But that's not the world we live in. Yes, it is true that we have been excessively conservative in the transfer market recently, but all indications point to Pochettino also being complicit in this, with heavy speculation that Poch has personally ruled out several signings.

The club has to cast a wider net than that. And just because we're talking to 2-300 million worth of talent doesn't mean that anyone at the club - even Pochettino - rationally expects to sign all of them, or that it would be a failure of the club to do so.

Yes maybe Poch did hold back signings but cheap punts like Nkouduo etc don’t work well for our level. They just mean we need to sell them later.

I am sure our scouts have a good number of players for us to go after but I assume quite a number of our targets even if we are their first choice as a club cost quite a bit of money.

Yes maybe Poch did hold back signings but cheap punts like Nkouduo etc don’t work well for our level. They just mean we need to sell them later.

I am sure our scouts have a good number of players for us to go after but I assume quite a number of our targets even if we are their first choice as a club cost quite a bit of money.

I understand why you'd say that but:

1. We weren't at this level when we signed the likes of GKN & N'Jie.

2. Peeps seem perfectly happy with an expensive punt like Sessengon (and his brother... WDF!!?!?!) tho.

2. Peeps seem perfectly happy with an expensive punt like Sessengon (and his brother... WDF!!?!?!) tho.

Sessegnon IMO would be far less a punt than the likes of GKN, he has prem and championship experience.

Anyway my point being I tend to get the feeling Poch would rather not get anyone than get a player he thinks is below the quality required which might be part of the reason we got no one last season.

Again like most people’s opinions on this forum this is just connecting dots of things I read and see and my feeling on the situation.

We had a few cheap punts that worked out miraculously. I don't blame the club for misleading themselves a bit after signing the likes of Dele and Dier from second and third-tier competitions for cost of a take-out pizza.

But there's no such thing as a guaranteed transfer success. Just spending more rarely makes the difference. If we sign Ndombele he'll probably be just as likely to flop as to succeed.

Sessegnon IMO would be far less a punt than the likes of GKN, he has prem and championship experience.

Yet he didn't look convincing in the EPL.... So financially what represents the bigger gamble?

£6/7m for untested.

or

£40m for tested, but not impressive.

Yet he didn't look convincing in the EPL.... So financially what represents the bigger gamble?

£6/7m for untested.

or

£40m for tested, but not impressive.

Fulham where a bit of a mess and he played in several positions and while it wasn’t brilliant he was good in some games and has been linked with Liverpool, United, PSG so obviously has some talent.

We where linked with him last season as well and the season prior so the club or at least Poch must have some real belief in his ability to warrant us going upto it sounds like £30 mil for him.

Fulham where a bit of a mess and he played in several positions and while it wasn’t brilliant he was good in some games and has been linked with Liverpool, United, PSG so obviously has some talent.

We where linked with him last season as well and the season prior so the club or at least Poch must have some real belief in his ability to warrant us going upto it sounds like £30 mil for him.

You didn't answer my question mate. :)

Basically backing poch is the way forward. Lets have some faith in him after all he has done for us. Its not as if poch is the sort that will go mad & try to sign 8 new players costing over 400m.
He is level headed & hates wasting money. He won't be greedy. Hopefully levy will show faith in poch this summer & let him do it his way. We may as well give it a go. Why not try & see what happens.....

Oh right yeh sorry (previous post)

1 agreed but the failure of certain signing must surely weight on his mind, he wants to make sure as much as possible they are at our level.

2 I don’t think Poch views him as a punt, we have been after him for a while.

Basically backing poch is the way forward. Lets have some faith in him after all he has done for us. Its not as if poch is the sort that will go mad & try to sign 8 new players costing over 400m.
He is level headed & hates wasting money. He won't be greedy. Hopefully levy will show faith in poch this summer & let him do it his way. We may as well give it a go. Why not try & see what happens.....

At the end of the day we have a model and even Levy is beholden to some degree as Lewis is the main man.

However My personal view point is that the club prioritised the stadium (understandable) over the past years and did a great job. It now makes sense to prioritise the team.

I feel this is the transfer window to judge ENIC not the previous one’s. If they back Poch then I will take my hat off to them, if not that will be annoying and I won’t judge until the end of the window.

Poch also has to show some faith in our scouts, they should understand the type of players we need and the system in place five years in. If they bring a player to him he may not be very familiar with but we can bring him in sometimes you just have to trust the people in your organization.

I am willing to make a £10 bet right now that we don't spend more than £50m this summer and that we won't get the players we have been linked with.

Anyone willing to take that bet?

Someone get this man a lemon!

It's ok thanks... I shan't encourage you any more than necessary.

Back
Top Bottom